Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Sitter

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:45 am
I have a part time sitter in my home for the past year. I work at a pretty stressful job. She watches my toddler and does some housework when she sleeps.

Before she took the job we discussed holidays. She's off legal holidays and Jewish holidays. The prior person paid her for 2 legal holidays and partially for Jewish holidays. I never agreed on a specific amount I'd pay her. It was more like we'll see. She was fine with that.

She once took off a few days this year. At the end of the week she notified me she's extending it a few more days. I was left hanging then.

Now again. I gave her the sukkos dates awhile ago. (I texted them to her.) She tells me now that she's going on vacation from Monday till Wednesday. Literally erev yt. I'm so mad. She could have easily done it the following week.

Would you pay her for yt? I'm so done. I really need to find a playgroup for my toddler.

Molly Weasley

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:14 pm
I don't think that's fair of her, but unless you have someone to replace her right after yumtov, don't burn the bridge.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:24 pm
Is she Jewish or not? If she's not Jewish, she has no idea why davka those days are so important for you and you need to make it crystal clear why erev YT you NEED her. If she's Jewish, she should have informed you ages ago that she'd need more time off before YT.

Definitely you need a plan in writing as to which dates (Jewish or legal) you'll pay her and which you won't.

I think a last minute call off for illness once in a while is understandable, but she should have informed you ages ago if she's taking days off (more than one!) very soon.

I'm a part time sitter for various families. I am hourly--- paid when I work, not paid when I don't--- whether it's I call off or they call off. I think for a part time in home sitter that's reasonable.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:51 pm
At work there's a rule if you don't work Erev Yom Tov you don't get paid for YT. Tell her if she takes off before the holiday, you are unable to pay for the holiday, because that is when you need the most help.

And set up a clear understanding. Decide on a policy, which days you'll pay, how much, and stick with it. No assumptions or else you'll be assuming one thing and she'll be assuming another thing.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 10:21 pm
She's worked for Jewish families for years. She knows exactly which days are important.

It just suited her needs now for whatever reason so she's taking the vacation next week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics