Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Clothing given as gift

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 1:13 pm
My mom bought my kids some really expensive nice clothing for yontif. When she gave them to me she kept saying that they’ll wear them on Succos when we’ll see her. I am spending RH at home, and because my mom got me this gift I didn’t buy any other nice fall/winter clothing. I’m hesitant to dress them in the new clothes, because they are very active boys and it’s delicate clothing, I’m scared it might get ripped or stained even a tiny bit before Succos. On the other hand, I don’t really have much else. What would you do?

amother
Fern

Post Yesterday at 1:32 pm
Use them. For shul or whenever. They need to change to old clothes when they go the park or play with friends. A certain amount of wear and tear is normal. If your kids are really wild or messy eaters (like mine are) they need to change into PJs.

I don't enforce it all year but on a 3 day yt I will.

amother
Trillium

Post Yesterday at 1:32 pm
Put them on summer for RH

Amelia Bedelia

Post Yesterday at 1:43 pm
Clothing is usually hopefully not disposable. I would use for Rosh Hashanah. If it's expensive high quality, it should wash very well.

zaq

Post Yesterday at 3:13 pm
Dress them in their new duds now, take pix and send to Mom. Then remove duds and have the kids wear them on RH and when you see Mom on Sukkot. If the clothes are stained by Sukkot, well, Mom will know the clothes were worn and didn't just hang uselessly in a closet. I would hope this would make her happy.

amother
Magnolia

Post Yesterday at 3:18 pm
As a mother, I would agree with above. Take pictures before YT. Let them wear on RH (change for meals, playing and the park) and wear again Sukkot

She will be thrilled to see them in the close and that the close are getting good use. Don’t know how old the kids are, but if you can have them call either before YT or on Sunday and say thank you, that would be awesome

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Yesterday at 5:49 pm
Depends how old your kids are, and what type of clothing. If your boys are going to be running outside in shul unsupervised. While you and your husband davenport. I would put those kids on summer. For a baby or little kid that your supervising let them where to shul. Then change before eating or playing in the park. Pack a smock for shul. He gets to have his treats while wearing the smock then take it right off. If its a kid that old enough to be somewhat careful (my kids usually at around 7-8. I would put on a older shirt with whatever sweater or suit your mother brought and tell the kid they should take it off if they are eating something very greasy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette