Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Bumped into one of the frum influencers today...

amother
OP

Post Today at 9:35 am
And I almost did not recognize her for a minute!!

She looked completely different then on camera!
Her face was totally not so clear, makeup with flaws little heavier and even voice little rougher!

Not here to bash anyone or anything im not expecting perfection at all. Just proved so black and white that IG is such a sham. You could littrally make yourself look like a different person and be the ulitmate beauty and perfection!

Molly Weasley  

Post Today at 9:37 am
amother OP wrote:
And I almost did not recognize her for a minute!!

She looked completely different then on camera!
Her face was totally not so clear, makeup with flaws little heavier and even voice little rougher!

Not here to bash anyone or anything im not expecting perfection at all. Just proved so black and white that IG is such a sham. You could littrally make yourself look like a different person and be the ulitmate beauty and perfection!

1000%

That’s part of why social media can be so unhealthy; it often makes everyday people feel unworthy and dissatisfied with their lives because they can’t attain that kind of perfection.

amother
Ruby

Post Today at 10:29 am
I’m not sure what the point is.

Pictures in general never look exactly like “real life”. For example women/brides wear tons of heavy overdone makeup to weddings and the camera makes it look waaay better in pictures

Genius  

Post Today at 10:31 am
Yes. Filters exist.
We all have pimples and flaws
Our perfection
Is grasping at straws

We brighten
And embellish
We hope
You relish
Our picture perfect image

Why
Would we show
Why
Should you know
About any silly blemish

We pretend
To have it together
We are never
Under the weather
It’s our job

Feel free to continue this beauty. I need to go pretend that I’m cooking for yt on my morning vlog (is that a thing?)

amother
NeonPink  

Post Today at 10:37 am
I've met several influences & they don't really look different than on camera.
That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with covering up blemishes when going on camera for the public to see. OP, you're proving the point that people scrutinize them whether they're on camera or IRL. There's nothing wrong with them wanting to look put together on camera.

amother
Jade

Post Today at 10:43 am
I once saw a perspective of someone showing off a gorgeous kitchen counter with a perfect supper prepared.

It then panned to the rest of the kitchen which was upside down.

Everything online is heavily filtered and just a small picture.

I recently bumped into an influencer. She did look great. Had same polished look. Appeared much more shy/timid than her online persona. But that doesn’t really mean anything bec it could have just been the moment.

I was thinking it must be such a pressure. Ppl constantly looking and judging you based on what you show online. Having to keep up a persona and image.

amother
Seagreen

Post Today at 10:49 am
I do hear your point but it needs to be more directed to the viewers than to the influencers. Of course they make sure to look better when going online to be viewed by hundreds of thousands, and so would you (I hope) if you were public speaking in front of a crown or whatever it is.
The viewers need to work on their comparing and jealously reminding themselves that things aren't how they look, but the influencer probably won't deny that. Everyone knows when you face public you usually go more perfect as you can, many years before social media. Even when you send pics to your fam.. you'd pic a more perfect looking picture or the one without the mess in it. I cannot blame or look down on influencers for this, but yes, viewers can always do with a reminder.

Molly Weasley  

Post Today at 11:26 am
amother Ruby wrote:
I’m not sure what the point is.

Pictures in general never look exactly like “real life”. For example women/brides wear tons of heavy overdone makeup to weddings and the camera makes it look waaay better in pictures

You're expecting brides to wear a ton of makeup.

Influencers pretend its their real life

amother
Topaz

Post Today at 11:38 am
I live in the same neighborhood as a big influencer. Her life is not nearly as glam as it seems online Very Happy

amother
  NeonPink

Post Today at 11:50 am
Molly Weasley wrote:

Not necessarily true

Genius

Post Today at 12:02 pm
Molly Weasley wrote:

I've been wondering what the term "influencer" is implying for a while. I also think it's dumb to take them seriously, I'm sorry for being blunt. These surprised threads about one thing or another on influencers pop up every while, and they always leave me scratching my head. Entertainment? Sure. Recipes and tips? Yes please. Is that their real life? How is that a question? Same goes for reality shows. NONE OF THAT IS REAL! I'm sure some of it is based on true facts, but people need to stop equating image with reality. It never is.

Molly Weasley

Post Today at 1:00 pm
Genius wrote:
I've been wondering what the term "influencer" is implying for a while. I also think it's dumb to take them seriously, I'm sorry for being blunt. These surprised threads about one thing or another on influencers pop up every while, and they always leave me scratching my head. Entertainment? Sure. Recipes and tips? Yes please. Is that their real life? How is that a question? Same goes for reality shows. NONE OF THAT IS REAL! I'm sure some of it is based on true facts, but people need to stop equating image with reality. It never is.

Sadly, they wield a lot of power. Conscious or subconsciously, they affect our way of thinking.

chanatron1000

Post Today at 1:37 pm
Nowadays on a lot of these social media apps, there's a beauty filter that's on by default and some people don't realize that it's on. I'm not sure about Instagram but I do know these filters have gotten very sophisticated. And you should take beauty advice online with a grain of salt, because there's a good chance the reason their skin looks that smooth is because you're seeing an edited version of it.

amother
Brown

Post Today at 1:55 pm
So I once went out with my friend and we saw a famous influencer eating out with her husband. She was hugely pregnant (didn’t show that online- in all her pics her bump looked tiny) and her face was swallow and very blemished (on instagram it glowed).

My friend was shaken. I was not lol.

amother
Olive

Post Today at 3:56 pm
Don't pretend, OP, that you don't polish up your appearance before going on a date or to a simcha, school event, family portrait appointment, meet-the-future-machatonim, job interview and so on, because I'll know you're lying through your (possibly whitened, straightened or implanted) teeth.

And if the influencer didn't bother getting farpootzed but let it all hang out au naturel, you would no doubt be the first to criticize.

HonesttoGod

Post Today at 4:31 pm
Seriously you needed to MEET her in person to realize this?
Isn't EVERYONE different at various points of their day/week/life?

I know I go to the bus stop looking very very different than I do at a simcha.,

amother
Moccasin

Post Today at 4:34 pm
I get how it can feel because sometimes we look at them like celebrities. Reality is they aren't. And celebrities are also regular just the really rich ones can afford to have a hired makeup and hair stylist to work on them each and every day.
All in all though, many people look or act different in different scenarios or settings. Not authentic? Maybe. But it's common.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media