Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Cold Cereal =$5 /lb. Flour =$2 /lb. Baked Breakfast? Ideas?
1  2  Next

Dolly Welsh  

Post Today at 12:27 am
There are stove top breads made in a frying pan. They can be sweetened.

You would want one big baked loaf or flat pancake, and cut it up for the kids. Easy as possible.

The Bread Machine is programmable for time delay. You can set it up to bake overnight.

There are lots of sweetened breads the kids will like broken up into a bowl of milk.

The bread machine does not heat the house, and it does all the work.

Cold cereals are a newfangled invention from the Fifties. Our ancestors ate lots of other things for breakfast. Horribly expensive.

LittleDucky  

Post Today at 1:23 am
Cold cereal also doesn't have to be that expensive. Shop around and stock up on sales. I have found that chain stores have a 5-6 week sale cycle give or take.

Also look on the store app for additional coupons that can be used in addition to whatever sales are on.
I regularly get boxes of cereals for $2, sometimes as low as 1.50.

Dolly Welsh

Post Today at 1:25 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Cold cereal also doesn't have to be that expensive. Shop around and stock up on sales. I have found that chain stores have a 5-6 week sale cycle give or take.

Also look on the store app for additional coupons that can be used in addition to whatever sales are on.
I regularly get boxes of cereals for $2, sometimes as low as 1.50.

Oh yes.

But the price per pound of the food is what counts. The food itself is light, airy, doesn't fill the box.

That's the problem.

NotFunny

Post Today at 1:39 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Oh yes.

But the price per pound of the food is what counts. The food itself is light, airy, doesn't fill the box.

That's the problem.

Agree
And I don’t find it makes you full. You eat and eat bowl after bowl and are hungry soon after…

LittleDucky

Post Today at 2:18 am
Some of us don't have time to fry anything in the morning. We work full time out of the home jobs. Have to run carpool etc.

And cereal at 1.75 a box plus milk (which they would have anyways with whatever they eat) can be cheaper and is fortified as well. Some cereals are junk, some are better. Obviously veggies are better but fried bread isn't so nutritious either. And isn't free unless it is Sunday/Monday with leftover challah.

Not saying not to do fried bread or pancakes. You do you. But on a purely financial basis it may not come out ahead.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Today at 6:07 am
Prepare a huge granola batch with rolled oats. Eat with milk. Very filling and cheap.

lovepinterest

Post Today at 8:14 am
What’s wrong with baking bread and having sandwich every morning? Cream cheese tomato cucumber, grilled cheese, butter salt pepper, chummus diff sliced vegis.. the options are endless and so filling

teachkids

Post Today at 8:23 am
My kids like sandwiches or oatmeal made from quick oats. There are definitely healthy oatmeal muffin recipes.

sandyish

Post Today at 8:38 am
Dolly, I don’t think most families are just giving their kids a bowl of breakfast cereal with milk and expecting that to fill them up and fuel their day. Most people at least supplement with other filling and more nutritious foods.

Amarante  

Post Today at 9:05 am
FWIW cold cereals have been around some the late 19th Century - Post and Kellogg made fortunes on Corn Flakes, Post Toasties and similar in the 1880's. They were developed as part of a meal plan at a health spa just like Graham Crackers were although didn't resemble modern graham crackers which are much more like cookies with high sugar content.

In the 1950's with the rise of television, they were then marketed specifically to children in new iterations like Sugar Frosted Flakes with Tony the Tiger and and even wilder iterations like Count Chocula and Captain Crunch.

Depending on what cereal you buy they can be part of a nutritious diet - high in fiber, certain vitamins and minerals; milk plus often fruit is part of the meal either in the cereal or eaten separately.

lamplighter

Post Today at 9:25 am
sandyish wrote:
Dolly, I don’t think most families are just giving their kids a bowl of breakfast cereal with milk and expecting that to fill them up and fuel their day. Most people at least supplement with other filling and more nutritious foods.

I actually think most people I know do give cereal and milk for breakfast on regular weekday mornings. L

The Happy Wife  

Post Today at 9:36 am
People don't choose cereal for its price. It's an option that a) doesn't require cooking and b)kids can get for themselves. I don't think people are unaware of alternative options, but it takes time and energy to serve homemade breakfast everyday. Even if you're making a big batch and serving later. Time and energy are precious resources in my house.

honey36  

Post Today at 9:42 am
If you have bread for breakfast, what do you have for lunch?

N'sMom

Post Today at 9:54 am
There are loads of healthy muffin recipes that can be made in a large batch and frozen or you can modofy a revipe they love to be more breakfasty and less treaty. If you are afraid your kids won't like them, start with 1/4 whole wheat (or even better, spelt) and work up. At the same time, very gradually reduce the sugar by a couple of TBSP each time.

Amarante  

Post Today at 9:56 am
honey36 wrote:
If you have bread for breakfast, what do you have for lunch?

People have "bread" in all kinds of forms.

Toast - English muffins - breakfast wraps - all of these can be nutritious and equally simple to make.

Whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and jam is easy and nutritious

Sticking some cheese on toast and putting it in the toaster oven to melt it is a delicious breakfast

Eggs in a hole is pretty classic

Imaof4

Post Today at 9:58 am
Where does flour cost $2 per pound? I live in Israel and all purpose white flour costs between 3 and 4 shekels a kilo which is 2.2 pounds. Bread is a staff of life food. It can be eaten with every meal. When I bake challah I get an 18.5-19 ounce challah using 11.75 ounces of flour.

honey36  

Post Today at 11:36 am
Amarante wrote:
People have "bread" in all kinds of forms.

Toast - English muffins - breakfast wraps - all of these can be nutritious and equally simple to make.

Whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and jam is easy and nutritious

Sticking some cheese on toast and putting it in the toaster oven to melt it is a delicious breakfast

Eggs in a hole is pretty classic

Ok, sure you can dress bread up in many different ways, but at the end of the day your body still processes it as wheat. So if you know you'll be having a sandwich for lunch as well, that's just a lot of wheat IMHO.

I'm not going to comment on the financial part, but in terms of health, I'd rather my kids have cheerios (oat based) or rice krispies (rice based) vs bread for breakfast since I know they will usually have a sandwich or some sort of pasta/pizza for lunch. At least this way they will have some variety in their diet.

I also try to do other breakfast foods like fresh fruit, smoothies, hot oatmeal, whole grain rice or corn cakes etc.

Amarante

Post Today at 11:57 am
honey36 wrote:
Ok, sure you can dress bread up in many different ways, but at the end of the day your body still processes it as wheat. So if you know you'll be having a sandwich for lunch as well, that's just a lot of wheat IMHO.

I'm not going to comment on the financial part, but in terms of health, I'd rather my kids have cheerios (oat based) or rice krispies (rice based) vs bread for breakfast since I know they will usually have a sandwich or some sort of pasta/pizza for lunch. At least this way they will have some variety in their diet.

I also try to do other breakfast foods like fresh fruit, smoothies, hot oatmeal, whole grain rice or corn cakes etc.

I have never heard wheat specifically demonized although there are healthier forms of wheat like whole wheat versus white wheat or end products like whole wheat bread or versus Danish pastry or a donut.

Classic breakfast food includes toast on the side with eggs or pancakes/waffles not to mention the unhealthier stuff like Danish pastry or croissants

Not to mention breakfast cereals with wheat as the main grain or a component. Wheaties or Shredded Wheat not to mention Cream of Wheat or Farina.

Many people grew up with some form of wheat for breakfast and then a sandwich for lunch.

honey36

Post Today at 12:24 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have never heard wheat specifically demonized although there are healthier forms of wheat like whole wheat versus white wheat or end products like whole wheat bread or versus Danish pastry or a donut.

Classic breakfast food includes toast on the side with eggs or pancakes/waffles not to mention the unhealthier stuff like Danish pastry or croissants

Not to mention breakfast cereals with wheat as the main grain or a component. Wheaties or Shredded Wheat not to mention Cream of Wheat or Farina.

Many people grew up with some form of wheat for breakfast and then a sandwich for lunch.

I'm not demonizing wheat. Like I said, we probably eat wheat every day for lunch. I just think a varied diet is probably healthier.

And can be the same price. As a previous poster said. Oats are very cheap. Homemade granola and oatmeal are good choices.

Brit in Israel

Post Today at 12:40 pm
N'sMom wrote:
There are loads of healthy muffin recipes that can be made in a large batch and frozen or you can modofy a revipe they love to be more breakfasty and less treaty. If you are afraid your kids won't like them, start with 1/4 whole wheat (or even better, spelt) and work up. At the same time, very gradually reduce the sugar by a couple of TBSP each time.

Recipes please?
My kids have cereal for breakfast and then at 10 a sandwich, I need something for the days they are running late and don't have time to sit but can eat on the school bus.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains