Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
New rules for cell phone stores in Boro Park
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 9:55 pm
TAG organized a meeting with owners of cell phone stores and select Rabbanim in the community to set up new guidelines for Boro Park.

Owners of cell phone stores agreed to only sell cells and all other devices e.g. tablets etc. that are filtered. Buyers have some choice in which filter to select but it must have a filter. If the buyer doesn't choose a filter within 7 days of purchase, the device/cell phone will stop working.

The view had an article on this in the latest issue. I haven't heard people discussing this in real life yet. What is everyone's reaction to this new ruling?

amother
Lightpink

Post Yesterday at 10:02 pm
OMG. Sorry. this would be way out of line. I dont see this ever being implemented.

amother
Rainbow

Post Yesterday at 10:18 pm
People that would like to get around it can purchase their device elsewhere.
I don’t see how this would help matters

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:56 pm
It's definitely true. I saw the article in the view and 9ne of the Yiddish magazines. There's pictures of the store owners plus the store names. The owners were pressured by tag and the dayanim at the meeting.

People who live here do buy phones and devices local. We don't all run out of the community to buy unfiltered devices.

Of course, I could get devices filter free easily.

I'm curious if anyone else feels like the community is being controlled....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Yesterday at 10:58 pm
Insane, like out of a movie. Communist Russia.

amother
Wheat

Post Yesterday at 11:01 pm
I'll sneak under the iron train tracks to free Flatbush and get my phone from the non-commies there

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:02 pm
My post came up twice. I wonder how. How do I consolidate the two

mom2dkay

Post Yesterday at 11:02 pm
Just btw, 2 different threads with same title

amother
Scarlet

Post Yesterday at 11:05 pm
People don’t realize how a little bit of control can turn abusive and invasive so quickly.
I’m sure in lots of places leaders convinced their followers that they will help them by controlling them in the certain way and then they abused their power and the people became slaves to their regime.

groisamomma

Post Yesterday at 11:19 pm
I think we’re missing something here. I’m not surprised by TAG’s attempt to get store owners to force people to use filters. Not so much overreach, more like overzealous. In Lakewood TAG won’t deal with-or put filters on-any devices for teenagers so we have a lot of teens walking around with unfiltered smartphones. I’m sure whichever rav advised them not to deal with teens had good intentions but their attempt at control is backfiring majorly. It doesn’t stop teens from purchasing smartphones and it traps the parents that reach out for help. TAG won’t help them if their kid is sliding, so now their teen has an unfiltered device altogether. BTDT and B”H now there is someone else that does it, but that’s not the point. The point is the attempt at control and how it will do more damage than good.
I think there has to be something in it for the store owners to go along with it. I’m curious what the trade off was.

amother
Natural

Post Yesterday at 11:22 pm
So anyone who wants a smartphone can just buy directly from their carrier online and it gets mailed right to their house. I have tmobile and I always order online. Unless people will also be controlling the mail, anyone is free to get whatever they want to get.

rss

Post Yesterday at 11:31 pm
Communism. Mafia.
Great way to ensure business for tag
...many people don't buy their devices from heimish stores...
.. especially people like sneaky teens the Verizon store is just a few blocks further comes with all smootz included.
We do have big problems in technology but I don't think this is the solution

amother
Daphne

Post Yesterday at 11:32 pm
I’ll continue buying my iPhones online

amother
NeonGreen

Post Yesterday at 11:38 pm
I like supporting local stores but I guess I won’t be able to

amother
DarkOrange

Post Today at 1:48 am
It's absolutely disgusting. Somebody must have been paid for it. Same thing with phone asifas in high schools a few years ago with phones that had service which shut down at 11 PM.
It's controlling and pathetic.

amother
Amethyst

Post Today at 2:14 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
It's absolutely disgusting. Somebody must have been paid for it. Same thing with phone asifas in high schools a few years ago with phones that had service which shut down at 11 PM.
It's controlling and pathetic.

How does that even work? They don't get cell phone service through ATAT, Verizon etc? Why would they shut service down?

FYI By law all phones even those without service must still connect to 911.

Either way, super controlling all around. When you do blackout vans, it backfires. People feel controlled, go out of the community for their needs and end up doing way more "unapproved" things. Once they are there they may shop at stores that don't have the magazines covered, they may see a digital screen on a wall and maybe even end up asking directions from the bus driver!

GLUE

Post Today at 3:14 am
amother OP wrote:
TAG organized a meeting with owners of cell phone stores and select Rabbanim in the community to set up new guidelines for Boro Park.

Owners of cell phone stores agreed to only sell cells and all other devices e.g. tablets etc. that are filtered. Buyers have some choice in which filter to select but it must have a filter. If the buyer doesn't choose a filter within 7 days of purchase, the device/cell phone will stop working.

The view had an article on this in the latest issue. I haven't heard people discussing this in real life yet. What is everyone's reaction to this new ruling?

I would like to know how that would work?
How would they get a device to just stop working after a few days?
Are they giving you a free trial with only enough data for a week?
What happens if you don't hook your tablet up with the internet how will it stop working?

amother
  OP

Post Today at 5:23 am
From what I read in the article, the store will install a software program designed by TAG with a temporary filter on the device for a 7 day trial and the buyer will have 7 days to choose a filter of the choice that the buyer prefers from the stores options. If no filter will be chosen, the software will deactivate the device

amother
Magenta

Post Today at 6:54 am
Am I the only one who thinks it’s amazing?
I live in Canada and it’s always such a headache to get my new device filtered… if it can only come filtered!

amother
Denim  

Post Today at 6:58 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks it’s amazing?
I live in Canada and it’s always such a headache to get my new device filtered… if it can only come filtered!

Nope you're not the only one. I honestly don't see the problem. I only buy my devices from someone who only sells ready filtered devices, and my kids do to. In fact there is a Frum Yid who sells non-filtered devices, I don't understand why it's allowed.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries