No, that's ridiculous  
 62%  [ 41 ]
Other, I'll explain below  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:12 am
Let's start by saying I have a chronic pain condition. Walking and standing around hurt.

My 6 year old just started first grade and she now has a bus stop instead of being picked up in front of our house. It's not that far away, but she obviously needs me to walk her there and stay with her. It's basically a block away and across a street. I can walk there and back, but the standing around waiting for the bus is killing me and throwing off my whole day. I'm used to getting the kids off to school, having time to eat a proper breakfast and take my pain meds, do my exercises to limber me up for the day, and then going about my business. I can't switch my routine around to do all that before the kids leave, so by the time I stumble back home after the bus comes I'm already in pain and need recovery time. I briefly thought about driving to the bus stop, but it seems completely ridiculous to drive such a short distance. I can literally see the bus stop from my house.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing. The house at the corner of the bus stop has some ornamental shrubbery on the lawn right there with some space in front. I was thinking of writing a letter briefly explaining the situation and asking if they would be amenable to putting a bench there, at my expense of course. I would put my phone number in the letter for them to contact me to discuss further. I do not know the people in the house to approach them in any other way. I don't even know their names or if they're Jewish or not.

How weird would this be? How would you react to getting such a letter? If you don't think it's completely outlandish, then can you please help me word it in such a way that they might actually consider my request?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:15 am
Can you carry a lightweight folding chair or folding stool? I would totally drive and sit there over asking someone for a bench.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:17 am
Send the letter. You have nothing to lose. They may be wary at first but if you are genuine they will probably have compassion.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:19 am
I would never ask a person to do that. I would throw out the letter if I got it. I do understand you because I was in an accident and have chronic pain. I would drive to the stop and bring a chair with me or sit in my car with a door open until I see the bus

Lucky Princess

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:20 am
I would definitely send the letter.
If I would get the letter I would have no problem with it.

chicco

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:27 am
You can try with the letter, but I just want to point out that in your particular case, it is actually not ridiculous to drive. You have a valid reason and you shouldn't feel guilty about it.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:32 am
Where I live people drive to corner stops and sit and wait in their cars. I've seen people wait on lightweight folding chairs as well

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:44 am
People can be wary of putting a bench on their front lawn because it could attract strangers to just sit there.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:46 am
amother cornflower wrote:
Where I live people drive to corner stops and sit and wait in their cars. I've seen people wait on lightweight folding chairs as well
My neighbors do this too.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:51 am
I would not send the letter. I would drive to the bus stop. if someone sent me a letter like that I would throw it out honestly and I also don't love strangers sitting on my lawn. It drives me nuts. I've had strangers steal my folding chairs I put out on MY lawn for waiting for the bus and I would t need the responsibility of someone else's bench.

daredevil

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:53 am
Instead of a bench, maybe ask in the letter if they have a folding chair they can put out for you. Is your husband able to do drop off? Anyone else at the bus stop that would keep an eye on your daughter until the bus comes? Feel good

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:57 am
Omg I understand you so well. I also have a bus stop a block from my house and the wait can be excruciating for myself and for my kids as well. A bench would be a dream. I really think that you can ask them very politely and tell them that if they have any issue with it you will totally understand. Then you can go to option B which is driving there and bringing your own chair. Hatzlacha and feel good!

tichellady  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:30 am
I would drive. They are probably not thrilled there is a bus stop in front of their house

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:31 am
I'm on team driving too.
You have a perfectly good solution right in front of you, why look to complicate matters?

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:36 am
Who is to say the bench would be reserved for you? Someone else might sit on it. I don’t think this is worth asking to someone you don’t know at all

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:43 am
I vote for driving.
I live in a cul de sac and Im the second house on the block and I still drive my kids sometimes to the end of the block.
Either that or take a folding chair.
I wouldnt ask the person in the house if I am not friendly with them. They might not want a bench there because it will become a place that will attract people to go sit and they might not want that.

dankbar  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:45 am
I would rather explain your situation to school, so they change bus stop to be in front if your home, and if more people are at this stop, they should join too. Maybe I would have a neighbor that anyway goes to that stop with their kid, to take along your kid too. Or if you drop off and leave and she stands there and watches your daughter while she watches her.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:46 am
You're thinking f of a bench for you, but once a bench is there it becomes public. There's no guarantees that the bench wouldn't be occupied when you got there, and I doubt the people who live there want to host a party on their lawn every morning. Either drive, or take a light chair with you.

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:49 am
I would be wary if asking for such a request when you don't even know who lives there, what if it's anti-semite or just a bad crazy person and he might be angry at you.....

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:51 am
Honestly that’s a very big request, once you put a bench there many people would sit, making her yard a public walkway. I would sooner drive there.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette