Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Trendy lkwd circles: only midi/maxi length?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:07 pm
I don't have a natural fashion sense but try to pay close attention, especially so I can help preteen dd.
I seem to be noticing that everyone is ONLY wearing midi and maxi length dresses and skirts, from like age 11 and up? For shabbos and weekday? Regular length skirts and dresses are considered nebby? Or like for younger children? Am I right in my observations?

amother
White  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:09 pm
Short is in too. But long is more popular. Look at all the current new type of messy pleats and leather looks. Lots of it in knee length.

amother
Wisteria

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:15 pm
As an old woman in my 40s, I plan to wear short in the winter (wore mostly long and midi during the summer). My fashion conscious 15 year old would not buy a single short dress for shabbos. She tried on a great dress that I really wanted her to buy, it looked great on her, but apparently it wasn’t midi enough. For Sundays in the winter though, she said she’d still wear a short black skirt sometimes. (Lakewood)

amother
Honey  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:59 pm
Shorter than midi would likely not cover the knees when seated etc.
Tznius should not be compromised by trends.

amother
  White  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Shorter than midi would likely not cover the knees.

Huh? Do you know what midi is? 4 inches under the knee is still in the short category.

amother
Amethyst  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 2:04 pm
The stores only had long skirts.
90% of the Shabbos dresses looked like robes to my teen daughter and myself.
My teen dd did buy one ‘short’ dress. Bec she likes to have her own look. But there was very little short.

amother
Outerspace  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 2:06 pm
Who cares?

Youre probably right that its more fashionable but you do you.

Im short ish and not slender.
I really feel shorter skirts look better on me.
They make me look taller, long skirts and dresses just make me look blah!

I do have some midi stuff but I feel way more comfortable in short.

Plus I hate the feel of all that extra material around the legs. Like we wear so much anyway, why add on more.
Anyone else feel the same on this?

amother
  White  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 2:07 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:

Fame a trendy store had a lot of short too.

https://fameoncentral.com/prod.....257-8

https://fameoncentral.com/prod.....black

amother
  Amethyst

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 2:09 pm
amother White wrote:
Fame a trendy store had a lot of short too.

https://fameoncentral.com/prod.....257-8

https://fameoncentral.com/prod.....black

Every dress on their web site looks long.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 2:09 pm
Gotta say- as a tall woman, midi length coming into style has been such a Bracha.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 2:10 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Shorter than midi would likely not cover the knees when seated etc.

Really not true at all. I am very very careful to keep my knees covered at all times-before purchasing any skirt I sit, bend, jump etc in front of a mirror.
It depends what style skirt.
You can have a skirt just 2 inches below your knee, in an a-line cut, that completely covers the knees at all time
(I used 2 inches as an example because per my Rav, we dont hold by doing 4 inches below. Just make sure that the knees are always covered, and in my experience with a-line, flairy type skirts, 2 inches below is usually sufficient)

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 3:15 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Who cares?

Youre probably right that its more fashionable but you do you.

Im short ish and not slender.
I really feel shorter skirts look better on me.
They make me look taller, long skirts and dresses just make me look blah!

I do have some midi stuff but I feel way more comfortable in short.

Plus I hate the feel of all that extra material around the legs. Like we wear so much anyway, why add on more.
Anyone else feel the same on this?
I don't care about myself so much but I'm trying to figure things out for my 12yo dd who needs to look good. And is kind of at an age where dressing her is a bit of uncharted territory for me in general. I bought her regular knee length skirts for the summer, but I noticed most kids her age (preteens) wearing midi and maxi and I was wondering if she looked a little juvenile in her regular length stuff?
Same for shabbos dresses, which I really wasn't expecting. Kids were wearing midi and maxi while she had regular knee length stuff. Is that considered babyish for her?
So I'm wondering about the upcoming seasons.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 3:16 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
My teen dd did buy one ‘short’ dress. Bec she likes to have her own look. But there was very little short.
I agree. To me a maxi dress is a robe.

blueberry32

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 3:17 pm
midi/maxi has definitely been more in style. I havent seen anyone wearing short the past few months and I live in a trendy area

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 3:19 pm
blueberry32 wrote:
midi/maxi has definitely been more in style. I havent seen anyone wearing short the past few months and I live in a trendy area
Including kids? Especially Preteens ?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 3:19 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Really not true at all. I am very very careful to keep my knees covered at all times-before purchasing any skirt I sit, bend, jump etc in front of a mirror.
It depends what style skirt.
You can have a skirt just 2 inches below your knee, in an a-line cut, that completely covers the knees at all time
(I used 2 inches as an example because per my Rav, we dont hold by doing 4 inches below. Just make sure that the knees are always covered, and in my experience with a-line, flairy type skirts, 2 inches below is usually sufficient)

4" is a new construct in tznius not mentioned in any seforim of old. When I was growing up, in my frum BY we were taught that when you try on a skirt, you should make sure it covers your knees in all positions - sitting, standing, walking, etc....and that's what I still do. And yes, it isn't always 4", depending on the style.

giselle

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:35 pm
Chayalle wrote:
4" is a new construct in tznius not mentioned in any seforim of old. When I was growing up, in my frum BY we were taught that when you try on a skirt, you should make sure it covers your knees in all positions - sitting, standing, walking, etc....and that's what I still do. And yes, it isn't always 4", depending on the style.

I feel like the 4 inch rule must have been made for pencil skirts but is totally unnecessary for flary skirts.

amother
  Outerspace

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:42 pm
I also have a 12 yo daughter.
She cares a lot more then me though!

Shes been wearing midi and maxi for a few years now.

I dont think short will ever go out of fashion , its a classic but a lot of the girls are wearing midi stuff, and thats what alot of the shops are selling.

What does your daughter think of all this?
If my daughter wouldnt care I would have just bought her whatever I could get hold of.

She was wearing this style long before me.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:12 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
I also have a 12 yo daughter.
She cares a lot more then me though!

Shes been wearing midi and maxi for a few years now.

I dont think short will ever go out of fashion , its a classic but a lot of the girls are wearing midi stuff, and thats what alot of the shops are selling.

What does your daughter think of all this?
If my daughter wouldnt care I would have just bought her whatever I could get hold of.

She was wearing this style long before me.
I think she's a little clued out like me Wink

She's definitely excited when something midi works out but she doesn't complain about me getting her regular length stuff.

I don't need her to be dressed in the height of frum fashion but I do want her to look stylish. She's also chunky so I try to put in a little extra effort.

Is regular length a total faux pas?

amother
Whitesmoke  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:15 pm
amother White wrote:
Huh? Do you know what midi is? 4 inches under the knee is still in the short category.

Midi is the new name for the infamous duty length??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics