Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight gain since marriage

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:57 am
Every year that passes by in my 20s I feel my body weight moving to a new weight threshold, I am now in my mid 20s. I always try to lose the weight but it is impossible to keep it off.

I gained 7 pounds in my Shana rishona. I am 9 pound higher than Seminary weight. I am very short for reference and my clothes all fit differently. It is making me so upset! Diabetes runs in my family and I am scared. I hate being this weight, it feels like my body is forcing me to be more shapely. How much weight did you gain in your 20s and how did you hand it?

I don’t drink sugary drinks , I hardly eat sweets unless it’s Shabbat at a friends house or a simcha. I love to cook healthy Whole Foods, mostly everything from scratch. I do eat more than I used to though, my appetite has gone up significantly and I have no idea why, I am simply hungrier than I used to be and my body wants to eat

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:06 am
9 lb higher than your seminary weight is really not much. You sound a little bit weight obsessed. You're doing ok. It's great that you're eating healthy.

amother
Nutmeg

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:09 am
This is not healthy. Married life is not the same as single and teen life. Most people gain a little. If you obsess like this it leads to eating disorders.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:11 am
Do you have children?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:12 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
Do you have children?
no not yet

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:13 am
Pregnancy/baby/breastfeeding?
Birth control?
These can all mess with your appetite.
Is your thyroid functioning optimally?
You mention diabetes. You may already be insulin resistant. Lot's of healthy foods can be high in carbs and not so blood sugar friendly. Can you focus more on proteins, fats and vegetables?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:17 am
amother Lavender wrote:
Pregnancy/baby/breastfeeding?
Birth control?
These can all mess with your appetite.
Is your thyroid functioning optimally?
You mention diabetes. You may already be insulin resistant. Lot's of healthy foods can be high in carbs and not so blood sugar friendly. Can you focus more on proteins, fats and vegetables?

no babies and no breastfeeding. Yes my entire mother’s side has type 2 diabetes. I didn’t know someone could be insulin resistant if they don’t have diabetes. I do find when I eat carbs, like the day after Shabbat I’ll be a pound or two heavier. It goes away but I can feel the difference, not sure if that’s a byproduct of insulin resistance

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:41 am
I would switch out and limit carbs to once a day
Have mainly protein based meals - chicken or turkey breast, eggs, fish, beans.
Limit sauces and remove store bought sauces (usually have way more sugar) as well as salty foods
Use supplements like green coffee
Walk instead of driving. Have a rule to do some form of physical exercise a day (walking, biking, sport, gym)
Make sure your vitamin levels are balanced with a blood test from your doctor. Vitamins help your metabolism to burn fat. Specifically b6, vitamin D, magnesium, iron.
Eat Leafy greens daily, cooked or raw.
Eat metabolism boosting foods like ginger(raw), green tea, lemon water. Or a ginger/lemon shot once a day. Use healthy fats in meals, such as olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds, salmon. omega 3’s in supplement form. Antioxidants.
All of the above help to prevent diabetes and also lower weight.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:11 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
I would switch out and limit carbs to once a day
Have mainly protein based meals - chicken or turkey breast, eggs, fish, beans.
Limit sauces and remove store bought sauces (usually have way more sugar) as well as salty foods
Use supplements like green coffee
Walk instead of driving. Have a rule to do some form of physical exercise a day (walking, biking, sport, gym)
Make sure your vitamin levels are balanced with a blood test from your doctor. Vitamins help your metabolism to burn fat. Specifically b6, vitamin D, magnesium, iron.
Eat Leafy greens daily, cooked or raw.
Eat metabolism boosting foods like ginger(raw), green tea, lemon water. Or a ginger/lemon shot once a day. Use healthy fats in meals, such as olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds, salmon. omega 3’s in supplement form. Antioxidants.
All of the above help to prevent diabetes and also lower weight.
thank you for this advice. I will limit carbs and increase protein. I think this may make me feel fuller longer. I’ll test my sugars as well to play it safe

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:59 pm
You should also increase your fat. That keeps you satiated, doesn't cause insulin spikes, and is a better source of fuel for your body. Carbs increase your insulin, causing spikes, and causing you to be hungry sooner.
And I disagree with those saying 9 lbs isn't a lot post sem. That's about 2lbs a year. So 20 years from now it'll be 40 lbs. Better to change your eating habits now, then have si much more to work on later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise