Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Building an extension in brooklyn

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:49 am
Trying to figure out how to set my home up for my parents to move in as they age. They are in there late 80's and the house they live in has way to many stairs and they are lonely all the time and want us to visit constantly.
They have expressed the desire to move in with us rather then move to an elderly friendly house/retirement community, as they want this move to be the last, and do not want to move again when they need more intensive care. We live nearby and my father can stay in his shul and area....

My house is very elderly unfriendly (narrow brooklyn house with bedrooms upstairs and in the basement) but we do have a reasonable sized backyard that I would love to add a wheelchair accessible unit with a bedroom, bathroom, and maybe a small living room so they can have there own space some of the time.

Is it even possible to get permits for something like that?
I will probably use up most of my backyard....

Where would I start for such a project.
An architect? A contractor? Is there someone who can come look and tell me if its even possible?

They do not need an aid yet, but may in the future would it be necessary. If we can build this, is I smarter to add another bedroom for the aid instead of a small living room.

amother
Honey  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:02 am
First find a good contractor. Architects there are dozens. The contractors know which Architect is the best. We did it that way.
Well, first we found an Architects that we thought would work. When we found the contractor he knew alot of not such good things about that Architect and recommended us to a different one.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:10 am
Would the contractor or architect know if such an extension is possible in our lot, or do we need another professional to assess

giftedmom

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:11 am
Many people do the exterior over a legal holiday weekend and then finish the interior so they don’t need to go for a permit

Busybee5

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:12 am
We did the other way around. First the architect and the planning permission through him.
Then he recommended contractors.
He's a frum yid so we trusted him.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:59 am
Is there no way to do it legally and permitted?

Money and time are not the issue we don't want my parents to deal with problems....

amother
  Honey

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there no way to do it legally and permitted?

Money and time are not the issue we don't want my parents to deal with problems....

Then find a good contractor first. He will help you with a basic plan. What and if can be done in the backyard. A project like yours I would bring down at least 3/4 people. In Brooklyn there's someone Brunner a chasidish person who's amazing. My sibling used him without an interior designer. Her project is stunning.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:04 pm
I would do the 2 rooms, set up one as a living room now and later it can be a bedroom. Maybe have the bathroom in the middle with access from both bedrooms.

Violet123

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:09 pm
I have a watsapp chat for those caring for an elderly relative
You may benefit from joining

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 12:12 am
In Marine Park zoning, my contractor told me that there needs to be a minimum amount of space left in the backyard, not sure what's the rule in your area...

amother
Nutmeg

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:54 am
Architects do a zoning analysis, thay would be able to give you this info
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries