Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
What are the options for dairy and soy free formulas

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:12 pm
My baby is 8m old and just developed a real allergy to milk formula he's been using since he's born.
I had terrible experiences with soy with my older kids and really don't want to try.

What are my options? Is there anything that would be covered by WIC/insurance?

He's not eating all that much food (spits it out a lot) so he's really living on this

giftedmom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:14 pm
You’d need special hypoallergenic formula afaik

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:36 pm
Extremely hard. Ive been down that path. Can you get donors mothers milk?
I sometimes used babys only pea protein based formula. I also used goat milk sometimes to supplement

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:46 pm
Neocate would prob be covered by wic. Baby's only plant based formula can also be a good option but double check with your doctor because it's officially a toddler formula.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:19 pm
I'd want to try the baby's only pea protein formula but does anyone know if it's safe for infants?

Are there any goats milk formula with a hechser available in US

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:35 pm
If your baby has a true ige allergy to dairy they can't have goat milk either. If it's more of a sensitivity or intolerance they may be able to tolerate goat.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:56 pm
Neocate. DC had it up untill he was 2, it was his sole nutrition and he's perfectly healthy. It's got all the nutrients a child needs.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:00 pm
Wic only offers dairy and soy. If hypoallergenic is medically necessary you might be able to get it through insurance. AFAIK

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:53 pm
You can get neocate or ellecare through insurance

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:06 pm
Neocate, elecare, puramino. Not sure about wic but you might be able to get insurance coverage depending on insurance
Good luck-it’s not easy!

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:31 am
Wic covers neocate and elecare but you need a prescription

amother
Cyclamen  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:00 am
My kid was also allergic to dairy and it was really tough. The hypoallergenic stuff are made out of chemicals pretty much and taste terrible apparently.. we ended up using babies only pea protein but at some point he also reacting to that. And BH we found Kate farms that is super clean and worked amazing. It is very expensive but because he has a diagnosed allergy, insurance covers it. It is not officially an infant formula (neither is babies only) but once you're past 6 months, I don't really think there's an issue.. my Dr checked the ingredients and everything checked out so she prescribed it even though it was a toddler formula. And fyi kid is almost 3 and still give it to him as a dairy replacement..

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 6:30 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
My kid was also allergic to dairy and it was really tough. The hypoallergenic stuff are made out of chemicals pretty much and taste terrible apparently.. we ended up using babies only pea protein but at some point he also reacting to that. And BH we found Kate farms that is super clean and worked amazing. It is very expensive but because he has a diagnosed allergy, insurance covers it. It is not officially an infant formula (neither is babies only) but once you're past 6 months, I don't really think there's an issue.. my Dr checked the ingredients and everything checked out so she prescribed it even though it was a toddler formula. And fyi kid is almost 3 and still give it to him as a dairy replacement..

Did you have to mix the Kate farms with water?

amother
  Cyclamen

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 10:32 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Did you have to mix the Kate farms with water?

I usually did dilute it because it was too thick.

mizle10

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 10:36 am
My baby couldn’t keep anything down. She was 5 months old and 1lb over her birth weight until I tried alimentum. The first bottle I gave her stayed down I couldn’t believe it. Bh she’s outgrown all allergies by now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding