Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What does Yeshivish mean in 2024

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 4:10 pm
Despite the countless of threads regarding this topic I'm still confused.
Anyone want to share what makes them yeshivish?
is the absence of being sephardic, chassidish, MO?

BrachaVHatzlocha  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:24 pm
there is a fine line between different sects. and there is a broad range of "yeshivish"...
I wish I could be anonymous for this, I don't want backlash... but in my opinion--
yeshivish people usually have a connection to a yeshiva.
men generally dress in white shirts and black pants and wear hats to shul. they learn regularly, whether full time or a daily shiur before/after work.
women wear wigs (not extremely long), cover elbows and knees, and only long socks or tights.
some have smart phones, usually filtered. teenagers usually don't phones until upper high school grades, and then flip phones.
TV is less common but some people do watch videos. Movies in a movie theater (do those exist?) are out.
yeshivish people are usually "litvish," but not always. there are sefardim who are yeshivish, as well.

nicole81  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:07 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
there is a fine line between different sects. and there is a broad range of "yeshivish"...
I wish I could be anonymous for this, I don't want backlash... but in my opinion--
yeshivish people usually have a connection to a yeshiva.
men generally dress in white shirts and black pants and wear hats to shul. they learn regularly, whether full time or a daily shiur before/after work.
women wear wigs (not extremely long), cover elbows and knees, and only long socks or tights.
some have smart phones, usually filtered. teenagers usually don't phones until upper high school grades, and then flip phones.
TV is less common but some people do watch videos. Movies in a movie theater (do those exist?) are out.
yeshivish people are usually "litvish," but not always. there are sefardim who are yeshivish, as well.

Is it the men's dress that makes it so? Because this describes us, too, absent the white shirt daily. And we identify as RWMO.

I'm assuming it's more down to one's take on medinat yisrael and the purpose of secular education (although I find that one shifting personally as traditional colleges are going off the deep end)

BrachaVHatzlocha  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:03 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Is it the men's dress that makes it so? Because this describes us, too, absent the white shirt daily. And we identify as RWMO.

I'm assuming it's more down to one's take on medinat yisrael and the purpose of secular education (although I find that one shifting personally as traditional colleges are going off the deep end)

no, I don't define myself as somewhat yeshivish based on my take on Israel...
not sure what you mean by purpose of secular education? I feel that's more a personal view than a community view...

nicole81  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:14 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
no, I don't define myself as somewhat yeshivish based on my take on Israel...
not sure what you mean by purpose of secular education? I feel that's more a personal view than a community view...

I thought yeshivish hashkafa was that secular education is necessary only for parnassah, whereas MO believe secular education is necessary for personal enrichment as well.

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:54 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
Movies in a movie theater (do those exist?) are out.

Scratching Head

Do movie theaters exist?… What…

BrachaVHatzlocha  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:14 pm
sequoia wrote:
Scratching Head

Do movie theaters exist?… What…

I mean do they still exist, lol?!? isn't everything on netflix and amazon prime, etc, now??

Last edited by BrachaVHatzlocha on Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

b.chadash

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:14 pm
To add...
Yeshivish people strive to have a visibly Torahdik home. Often the man of the house is in Klei Kodesh. Simplicity in materialism is a goal, not just a consequence of having limited funds.
(A person who drives a beat up car will describe it as a "yeshivish car". )
Yeshivish people will usually consult with daas Torah on major decisions.
In dress, they may look more conservative, and try to avoid secular influences. (No TV, secular music, etc.).

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:17 pm
I have modern orthodox friends. some cover their hair and some don't. but from those who cover their hair, they're more likely to have longer wigs, lace tops. yeshivish would have shorter, human hair parts but less likely to have lace top.

nicole81  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:00 pm
b.chadash wrote:
To add...
Yeshivish people strive to have a visibly Torahdik home. Often the man of the house is in Klei Kodesh. Simplicity in materialism is a goal, not just a consequence of having limited funds.
(A person who drives a beat up car will describe it as a "yeshivish car". )
Yeshivish people will usually consult with daas Torah on major decisions.
In dress, they may look more conservative, and try to avoid secular influences. (No TV, secular music, etc.).

I think there's a lot of of overlap here with RWMO. My husband isn't klei kodesh because we couldn't afford it, but we have a visibly torahdik home, consult with our rav on more than just halachic shailos, kids only watch toveedo, and no secular music. So far from everything mentioned, the only difference really is the colored shirts.

I hear there's a shidduch crisis for yeshivish girls, maybe some should consider RWMO boys😁

mommy9

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:50 pm
We fit the description except for the litvish part. We come from chassidim and have chassidish minhagim. Not all yeshivish people are litvish

observer

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:02 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I think there's a lot of of overlap here with RWMO. My husband isn't klei kodesh because we couldn't afford it, but we have a visibly torahdik home, consult with our rav on more than just halachic shailos, kids only watch toveedo, and no secular music. So far from everything mentioned, the only difference really is the colored shirts.

I hear there's a shidduch crisis for yeshivish girls, maybe some should consider RWMO boys😁

I'm really not big on labels, but..... isn't JPF in between yeshivish and RWMO?

Also want to add that many yeshivish don't even have kids watch toveedo.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:33 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I mean do they still exist, lol?!? isn't everything on netflix and amazon prime, etc, now??

Of course movie theaters exist. Watching a movie in a movie theater in an experience.

GLUE

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:55 pm
nicole81 wrote:

I thought there was also a shidduch crisis with RWMO, nice to see I am wrong.

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:22 am
observer wrote:
I'm really not big on labels, but..... isn't JPF in between yeshivish and RWMO?

For years I've been trying to understand why people label themselves jpf vs RWMO because I literally see no difference, and I believe in many or maybe even most cases it's because of either a misunderstanding of what RWMO is, or a fear of the "modern" label.

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:44 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I have modern orthodox friends. some cover their hair and some don't. but from those who cover their hair, they're more likely to have longer wigs, lace tops. yeshivish would have shorter, human hair parts but less likely to have lace top.

I know hundreds of yeshivish women with long, lace top wigs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics