Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Chicken and veggies - covered or uncovered?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:29 am
Anon bc I am wayyyy too embarrassed to ask this under my sn. Hiding I am not a new cook but somehow I haven’t been able to get this to come out consistently good. I feel like if I make it covered, there’s a ton of liquid and the chicken and veggies are always underdone, and if I bake it uncovered, it dries out or burns on top but doesn’t actually get cooked underneath. Help! Thanks everybody.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:32 am
Depends on what type of chicken and veggies, and your oven.

But have you tried cooking it covered for the first 2/3 of the time and then uncovered for the rest?

ra_mom  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:42 am
I use a double size pan (sterno size, like the size of 2 9x13s) and spread everything out in one layer. Nothing underneath, everything bakes evenly uncovered. 375 for 1 hour and 20 minutes (bone-in chicken legs and veggies).

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:51 am
ra_mom wrote:
I use a double size pan (sterno size, like the size of 2 9x13s) and spread everything out in one layer. Nothing underneath, everything bakes evenly uncovered. 375 for 1 hour and 20 minutes (bone-in chicken legs and veggies).

When you make it, the chicken is not on top of the veggies? It’s like a sheet pan with veggies on one part of the pan and chicken separate? I was always baking it with the chicken on top of the veggies but maybe that’s the problem.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 9:53 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Depends on what type of chicken and veggies, and your oven.

But have you tried cooking it covered for the first 2/3 of the time and then uncovered for the rest?

Bone-in legs and potatoes, onion, carrot, sometimes zucchini or turnip or parsnip. I have tried the method of starting it covered and then uncovering it 2/3 of the way through the cooking time but somehow I still have the same issue.

amother
Vanilla  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 10:08 am
What temp are you cooking it on and for how long?

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 10:12 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
What temp are you cooking it on and for how long?

Usually 375, sometimes 350. It usually is in the oven for 3-4 hours.

tweety1

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 10:22 am
amother OP wrote:
Anon bc I am wayyyy too embarrassed to ask this under my sn. Hiding I am not a new cook but somehow I haven’t been able to get this to come out consistently good. I feel like if I make it covered, there’s a ton of liquid and the chicken and veggies are always underdone, and if I bake it uncovered, it dries out or burns on top but doesn’t actually get cooked underneath. Help! Thanks everybody.

I just want to tell you, I consider myself an experienced cook. I cook and bake well. My siblings all call me with their questions. I have absolutely no problem coming on here to ask for help. There's no shame or embarrassment whatsoever. You don't have to know everything. It's OK to not know even what seems like pretty basic.

amother
  Vanilla  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 10:24 am
amother OP wrote:

3-4 hours at that temp would definitely dry out everything. Do a lower temp for a few hours or else higher temp for shorter.

amother
Seablue  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 10:27 am
Maybe try laying a piece of parchment on top but not closing it tight
I use a pyrex and cover with parchment and foil and uncover the last 20 minutes
350 for 2hrs45min and then uncover until it look golden
I lay my chicken in between the veggies not on top

IMHO- food comes out yummier cooked in a pyrex

amother
Plum  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:03 am
amother OP wrote:

Why are you keeping chicken in the oven for 3 hours? That’s twice as long as it should be cooked

ra_mom  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:17 am
amother OP wrote:
When you make it, the chicken is not on top of the veggies? It’s like a sheet pan with veggies on one part of the pan and chicken separate? I was always baking it with the chicken on top of the veggies but maybe that’s the problem.

The chicken is not on top of the veggies. It's side by side. It's like a sheet pan size, but the sides of the pan are as high as a regular 9x13 baking pan.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:20 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
3-4 hours at that temp would definitely dry out everything. Do a lower temp for a few hours or else higher temp for shorter.

I’ve also tried doing it at 250 for a few hours but it wasn’t cooked through What

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:21 am
amother Seablue wrote:
Maybe try laying a piece of parchment on top but not closing it tight
I use a pyrex and cover with parchment and foil and uncover the last 20 minutes
350 for 2hrs45min and then uncover until it look golden
I lay my chicken in between the veggies not on top

IMHO- food comes out yummier cooked in a pyrex

Sounds like a good suggestion, thank you!

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:22 am
ra_mom wrote:
The chicken is not on top of the veggies. It's side by side. It's like a sheet pan size, but the sides of the pan are as high a regilar 9x13 baking pan.

Oh interesting. They both cook evenly that way?

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:22 am
amother Plum wrote:
Why are you keeping chicken in the oven for 3 hours? That’s twice as long as it should be cooked

It’s not done enough otherwise What like it still tastes raw if cooked less than 2.5 hrs

amother
  Seablue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:27 am
Try with a real pyrex and chicken and veggies Flat, not on top of each other

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Oh interesting. They both cook evenly that way?

Yes, everything bakes really nicely.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:39 am
tweety1 wrote:
I just want to tell you, I consider myself an experienced cook. I cook and bake well. My siblings all call me with their questions. I have absolutely no problem coming on here to ask for help. There's no shame or embarrassment whatsoever. You don't have to know everything. It's OK to not know even what seems like pretty basic.

Thank you for this! I just feel so silly for having trouble with such a basic dish.

amother
  Vanilla

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 11:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I’ve also tried doing it at 250 for a few hours but it wasn’t cooked through What

250 is too low. I would try 325 for 3-4 hours.
I personally do 360 for 1.5- 2 hours, but as others have said you also need to spread everything out a bit.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics