Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensory deficits and food aversions

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 6:14 pm
One entire week of needing to have a tuna sandwich the moment dd opened her eyes. Yesterday and today she’s avoiding them like the plague. She spits out so much food lately, things she used to eat and sometimes still does.
The OT wants us to keep track of what she’s eating/not eating but I’m finding it so confusing myself.
Any ideas? How do we keep track when things keep changing? Do I also try to introduce more or let her keep doing her thing?

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 6:28 pm
Maybe start by keeping a food log of what she eats every day, for at least a week. The OT and other therapists can use that as a baseline to help you figure out what to push, and when.

You don't want to confuse or overwhelm, but rather, aim for progress and understanding.

amother
Garnet  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
One entire week of needing to have a tuna sandwich the moment dd opened her eyes. Yesterday and today she’s avoiding them like the plague. She spits out so much food lately, things she used to eat and sometimes still does.
The OT wants us to keep track of what she’s eating/not eating but I’m finding it so confusing myself.
Any ideas? How do we keep track when things keep changing? Do I also try to introduce more or let her keep doing her thing?
Are you sure this is sensory? I have 2 kids like this and it's OCD for them. Including the needing food the moment they wake up.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:47 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Are you sure this is sensory? I have 2 kids like this and it's OCD for them. Including the needing food the moment they wake up.

Oh yeah she definitely demands food the moment she opens her eyes. We were mentioned OCD in passing by her social worker but I didn’t look into it. Could you tell me more about your kids? My daughter is turning 4. Can we even know at this point?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:48 pm
imasinger wrote:
Maybe start by keeping a food log of what she eats every day, for at least a week. The OT and other therapists can use that as a baseline to help you figure out what to push, and when.

You don't want to confuse or overwhelm, but rather, aim for progress and understanding.

Trying to do that, just hard when things change every day.

amother
  Garnet  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 8:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh yeah she definitely demands food the moment she opens her eyes. We were mentioned OCD in passing by her social worker but I didn’t look into it. Could you tell me more about your kids? My daughter is turning 4. Can we even know at this point?
My daughter developed ocd at 4 following a strep infection. It presented as extreme rigidity, obsession with fairness, and extreme food obsessions and aversions. She would have to eat the moment she woke up, she asked for snacks and treats all day, and at the same time she started refusing most animal proteins and just healthy food in general (oddly tuna was one of the only ones she would eat even in her most restrictive state), and when we finally found a food she liked, she would hate it the next day.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 8:37 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
My daughter developed ocd at 4 following a strep infection. It presented as extreme rigidity, obsession with fairness, and extreme food obsessions and aversions. She would have to eat the moment she woke up, she asked for snacks and treats all day, and at the same time she started refusing most animal proteins and just healthy food in general (oddly tuna was one of the only ones she would eat even in her most restrictive state), and when we finally found a food she liked, she would hate it the next day.

Wow this does sound oddly familiar… How is she doing now? How do you deal with OCD? If you don’t mind sharing. Also, how did you get it diagnosed and how do you know it was from strep? My dd has had a bunch of bouts of strep throat last year.

amother
  Garnet  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 8:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow this does sound oddly familiar… How is she doing now? How do you deal with OCD? If you don’t mind sharing. Also, how did you get it diagnosed and how do you know it was from strep? My dd has had a bunch of bouts of strep throat last year.
She was having a lot of odd symptoms for months before I put all the pieces together and realized what was going on. Once I realized I went to our pediatrician and asked them to check her strep titers. They were very high!! We put her on antibiotics for 6 months, and also motrin and benadryl. We saw major improvement with those treatments. After that we moved onto some more holistic treatments because I didn't want her on antibiotics for so long. We did herbs, homeopathy and now ldn. She's 12 now and even though she still craves sweets and snacks more than most kids and still struggles a bit to eat animal proteins, it's nowhere near how bad it was at that point. And we're still working on healing her even more.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 8:54 pm
This doesn't sound like a sensory or OT issue. There's something going on about food here. I don't know much about pandas but maybe that. Or work with nutritionist or something. Or get her blood sugar. I don't know what's going on here but this doesn't sound sensory. Almost like pregnancy cravings.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 9:00 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
This doesn't sound like a sensory or OT issue. There's something going on about food here. I don't know much about pandas but maybe that. Or work with nutritionist or something. Or get her blood sugar. I don't know what's going on here but this doesn't sound sensory. Almost like pregnancy cravings.

Already did strep panel. We had checked her sugar levels at one point already. It’s not just food, there are other obsessions happening. Every time the wind blows outside she asks if it’ll rain and will there be lightning. She’s afraid of many things and new things keep getting added to her list. Food is just one of the aspects we’re seeing it in.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 9:01 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
She was having a lot of odd symptoms for months before I put all the pieces together and realized what was going on. Once I realized I went to our pediatrician and asked them to check her strep titers. They were very high!! We put her on antibiotics for 6 months, and also motrin and benadryl. We saw major improvement with those treatments. After that we moved onto some more holistic treatments because I didn't want her on antibiotics for so long. We did herbs, homeopathy and now ldn. She's 12 now and even though she still craves sweets and snacks more than most kids and still struggles a bit to eat animal proteins, it's nowhere near how bad it was at that point. And we're still working on healing her even more.

So you’re saying it was Pandas and you treated as such? Where’d you get to OCD?

amother
  Garnet  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 9:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Already did strep panel. We had checked her sugar levels at one point already. It’s not just food, there are other obsessions happening. Every time the wind blows outside she asks if it’ll rain and will there be lightning. She’s afraid of many things and new things keep getting added to her list. Food is just one of the aspects we’re seeing it in.
Yes this sounds like what we were dealing with.

amother
  Garnet

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 9:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
So you’re saying it was Pandas and you treated as such? Where’d you get to OCD?
OCD is one of the main symptoms of pandas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)