Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
When should I refrigerate my dough?

corolla  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 8:57 am
I want to make a large batch of challah but need to split the process into two days. At what point is it best to put the dough in the fridge? Can I do it right after kneading and let it rise overnight?

corolla  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 11:16 am
Bump

cholentfan1  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:08 pm
Yes, don't let it rise first, otherwise it may end up too yeasty as it's risen too much. It will rise slowly in the fridge overnight and be ready for you tomorrow. I've done it many times and it's fine. I will usually take it out some time before I want to make the challos so the dough isn't too cold.

corolla

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:18 pm
cholentfan1 wrote:
Yes, don't let it rise first, otherwise it may end up too yeasty as it's risen too much. It will rise slowly in the fridge overnight and be ready for you tomorrow. I've done it many times and it's fine. I will usually take it out some time before I want to make the challos so the dough isn't too cold.

Thank you.

How long do you wait before braiding?

cholentfan1  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:22 pm
corolla wrote:
Thank you.

How long do you wait before braiding?

If I remember to take the dough out early enough, I will leave it maybe an hour to warm up, otherwise I leave it 10 minutes or so to take the chill off before braiding.

cholentfan1

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:23 pm
cholentfan1 wrote:
If I remember to take the dough out early enough, I will leave it maybe an hour to warm up, otherwise I leave it 10 minutes or so to take the chill off before braiding.
Because it's risen overnight, it doesn't need to rise anymore before braiding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads