Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddlers and bedtime; not a match

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:03 pm
I remember the days of my youth when I had such clarity what bedtime should and would look like. And how I waxed poetic and sang the praises that a mother can make it happen. Yadida tralala…
What I didn’t count on was that real life is poem that has the pizzazz of a haiku and makes as much sense as a mathematical pie.
Kids are 2 and 4 and bedtime does not happen with mount me losing it.
When my older one slept themselves in the room I sang a song, kissed the mezuzah, patted on the head and left the room. Within 10 mins they were usually asleep.
Now though, we had the 2 year old join the room and 2 year olds sleeping patterns are as neat as a heartbeat line. I now need to stay in the room until they’re asleep but it’s taking forever and a day.
What can I do to change the dynamics and put them down earlier and not have to wait around?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:47 pm
Tell us more about what your current routine is so we understand (and why are you waiting in the room with them? )

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:45 pm
So routine beginning of summer was dinner at around 5:30, then a bit of schmoozing, playing, reading books, bathing, talking some more and bedtime.
I always sat in the room, was in bed and schmoozed a bit and then called it a night by 7-7:30
But now they won’t settle until close to 9.
I’m in the room because 2 year old will start to cry if I leave the room. Beginning of the summer I focused on teaching to fall sleep in own bed rather than in mine so I was still giving it time but I think ample time has been given.

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:54 pm
Can you move bedtime a bit later? Say 8:00

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:58 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Can you move bedtime a bit later? Say 8:00

I could but it didn’t seem to help when I did

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:12 am
My 2 year old is the same. And a later bedtime made things much worse. I found a very strict bedtime worked best. Meaning choose a time and stick to it with less than 5 minutes leeway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics