Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
When start wearing winter clothing in Israel

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:49 am
Trying to decide how many/type of clothing for DD going to seminary in Y-m. Do the girls wear summer clothing and shoes through succos or do they switch to winter?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:33 am
It is usually super hot here! I have a daughter going to seminary. Even though we live in Israel, I cannot imagine anyone wearing winter clothes and seminary. I may be a sweater at night if it gets a little bit cooler. And that’s even when it’s a little bit later. I don’t start reading out winter clothes until after Hanukkah they usually, maybe some fall lighter things but we’re still wearing our summer clothes through October for sure

amother
Denim  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:34 am
Even with the chagim being late this year, it will probably be quite warm for a few weeks beyond Sukkot. She will need layering pieces though for the mornings and evenings.

amother
  Denim

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:38 am
Even with the chagim being late this year, it will probably be quite warm for a few weeks beyond Sukkot. She will need layering pieces though for the mornings and evenings.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:06 am
Not till a few weeks after sukkos

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:12 am
Every year I see seminary girls sitting in the sukkah, and sweltering in their new winter outfits. Sukkot here is summer!

The evenings might be getting cooler, and she should have a light extra layer in case of need. Equally, we might get a late heatwave. Even if it does rain on Chol haMoed (we daven it won't), it's likely to be a passing incident, and the weather will remain warm.

After Sukkot we can hope for rain, but it might stay hot a bit longer. Real winter doesn't normally happen before about December. I'd normally say keep the new outfit for Shabbat Chanukah, but that's not until January this year, so just debut it on a regular shabbos when the weather seems suitable. But not Sukkot! The sukkah isn't air-conditioned.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:27 am
Things are more regimented in the US and more casual in Israel. The Israelis I know don’t switch the wardrobe and put away the previous season. Instead they add sweaters and sweatshirts in the colder weather. This is likely to be the case for sem girls. Everyone has limited storage space. I remember having everything hanging and a few things under my bed in my suitcase. I wore a black shiny trench coat through most of the winter with a sweater and blouse underneath. On days when it was really raining, I also wore boots and a scarf. Layers will get her through the year, although it should be hot well throughout the fall. The nights can get chilly in Jerusalem. By late December or January, there will definitely be cold and rainy days (and some that are still in the 60s or occasionally 70s). I would not overpack, since your dd may want to buy some clothes there and support of the economy is really needed.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:50 am
Thanks for the answers.

any more insight into BY sem girls and their clothing would be helpful

miami85

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:05 am
November for sure.

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:15 am
We've had many Chanukahs where we are all wearing short sleeves in the pictures.
People wear winter clothes when it gets cold. That can happen anytime from late October to January. Even when it starts to get cold it's not consistent. You can still have very warm days in December.
It's not usually consistently cold until January.

mudpies

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:15 pm
I usually pull out my black tights and winter clothes in November. If there's a cold day before then, all you need is a sweatshirt. But a coat isn't usually needed until December.
Sukkos is usually summer clothes (once in a while a sweater at night), I always feel bad for all the Americans who visit, sweltering in their fur under the sun!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:34 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Things are more regimented in the US and more casual in Israel. The Israelis I know don’t switch the wardrobe and put away the previous season. Instead they add sweaters and sweatshirts in the colder weather. This is likely to be the case for sem girls. Everyone has limited storage space. I remember having everything hanging and a few things under my bed in my suitcase. I wore a black shiny trench coat through most of the winter with a sweater and blouse underneath. On days when it was really raining, I also wore boots and a scarf. Layers will get her through the year, although it should be hot well throughout the fall. The nights can get chilly in Jerusalem. By late December or January, there will definitely be cold and rainy days (and some that are still in the 60s or occasionally 70s). I would not overpack, since your dd may want to buy some clothes there and support of the economy is really needed.

This isn't just a US vs Israel thing. Warmer states in the US also don't switch wardrobes. Not even a storage issue. The same clothes can be worn year round because of the temperature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info