Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How much tummy time does your six month old get?

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:49 pm
My baby gets physical therapy and just started with a new therapist. She asked how much tummy time my baby gets, and I told her that he normally gets about 2 1/2 to 3 hours ofTummy time per day, which I thought was a nice amount. His PT was aghast And said that based on how many hours he’s awake, he should be getting a minimum of seven hours, but ideally nine. This sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

What’s a normal amount of tummy time for a 6 month old?

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:53 pm
Did he hear you say hours not minutes???

Tao  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:07 pm
uh. what? 9 hours? sounds crazy to me

Tao

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:10 pm
In any case, I just do my best and take what they say with a grain of salt. My newborns hate tummy time. Yeah, I know they say they should be getting half an hour a day at least. My newborns get about 3 minutes over the day. I think it's child abuse to let my newborn scream and scream in obvious discomfort to check off the half-hour time slot box.
My baby only recently started liking tummy time, she's almost 3 months. So now she goes on her tummy a lot, but as a newborn hardly ever.
Just do what works for your baby.

amother
Mayflower  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:14 pm
Sounds crazy. My almost six months old gets maybe a couple hours altogether throughout the day. He is super active though in general....he's basically crawling.

Eta. He flips over all over the place so doesn't matter which direction I put him in. He literally can roll from one side of the room to the other.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:17 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
Sounds crazy. My almost six year old gets maybe a couple hours altogether throughout the day. He is super active though in general....he's basically crawling

You mean 6 month old

lucky14  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:21 pm
No way that’s accurate: either you misunderstood or they did.

lucky14

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:22 pm
I just googled it and 60-90 minutes is ideal.

amother
  Mayflower

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:24 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
You mean 6 month old

Yes lol. Corrected it!

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:31 pm
When ever she's in her crib or on the floor she's on her stomach. She's only on her back if she turns herself over.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:36 pm
Generally a lot of 6 month Olds are crawling or almost there so maybe that's what he meant

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:40 pm
On the tummy always. I don't count hours.

At that age they're usually rolling all around so it doesn't make a difference how you put them. I assume if he's getting PT he isn't yet, so all the more necessary to make sure to put him on his stomach. 6 hours sounds great though.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:19 am
Got distracted and forgot to check back in. The PT definitely said hours. I double checked. She asked me how much time he spends awake and deducted naps and feeding times and came up with the magical number of 7-9 hours. I’m glad to know that I’m not the only confused one.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:21 am
amother Caramel wrote:
On the tummy always. I don't count hours.

At that age they're usually rolling all around so it doesn't make a difference how you put them. I assume if he's getting PT he isn't yet, so all the more necessary to make sure to put him on his stomach. 6 hours sounds great though.

Actually he’s doing really great! Almost crawling. He’s just eligible for PT by default due to a different issue and I don’t mind if he ends up more advanced

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 12:44 am
amother Calendula wrote:
When ever she's in her crib or on the floor she's on her stomach. She's only on her back if she turns herself over.

same with my baby.
I don’t think nine waking hours a day, but a lot of his waking hours and all of his sleep time.
yes, he has always slept on his belly and he rolls now so even if I were to put him on his back, he rolls to his belly.
tummy sleepers are much stronger babies.
they have better head control from when they are much younger and they get up on their knees faster.
(I do NOT think everyone should put their babies to sleep on their tummies. I personally had/have a lot of struggle and anxiety from it, but that is how he sleeps)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:24 am
We don't have the concept. So basically when baby wants lol

realtalk

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:40 am
She probably by default over recommends because babies who are in pt typically have catching up to do. I don't think I counted tummy time hours on my baby (currently 9mo) but whenever I put him down it was on his stomach first.

Things that count as tummy time for kids that don't like it

Laying on you on tummy
Laying propped on a pillow on tummy
In a carrier upright (awake or sleeping still counts)

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:57 am
My ds was always on his tummy and he still is low tone years later. Started crawling properly at close to a year, didn’t pull himself up until he was a year, walked at 17 months… all the tummy time did nothing…

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:35 am
I aim for baby to be happy on the tummy for 5 minutes a day. Then eventually they just like it.
My son crawled at 5 months. Walked right before his 1st birthday.
My youngest daughter crawled at 6 months. She was alllll over the place. She walked at 17 months.
Since 11-12 She was able to if she forgot. But was afraid to let go since she was just terrified. I remember she was able to jump with both feet off the ground unsupported when she was excited. She'd follow balls and use those as "support" or reaaallly flimsy doll stroller. Iwas ok with it becuase it was summer. I'd plop her down outside and she'd stay more or less in the same place. If she did crawl away it was slow and I didn't have to run after her. I could just sit and watch her. She never got to the driveway. (Once summer was over I applied boch rescue remedy and tbe next day she took the plunge!)

Even my crawling babies aren't on the floor that much. They like being held, or play hang out in the swing. Or on their backs too. I think your therapist just mispoke.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:44 am
While it is important for babies to spend time on their tummies (especially nowadays, where we are advised to sleep them on their backs) I've never heard such a number! None of mine even came close to that, they all hated tummy time. We did what we could. Some of my kids were a little physically delayed (but caught up pretty quickly) and some were right on time despite suboptimal tummy time. One was even walking at 9 months (and no, he didn't do any better with tummy time than his siblings).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics