Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Are you considering postponing your child's year in EY?

Will you postpone?
Son - I will ask him to wait til after Succos  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Son- I'm discouraging him  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Son - I will forbid if war still on  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Son - if planes fly, he will go  
 11%  [ 4 ]
DD - after Succos if sem allows  
 0%  [ 0 ]
DD - will discourage, her choice  
 0%  [ 0 ]
DD - have cancelled  
 0%  [ 0 ]
DD nervous, she cancelled  
 2%  [ 1 ]
DD will go  
 29%  [ 10 ]
No child going, but I would cancel  
 2%  [ 1 ]
No child going, but I would send  
 52%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 34

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:35 am
With all due respect to imas in EY, you are all heroines! But....I have 2 grandsons there & frankly I think their parents are nuts!

I know, every bullet has an address but I just can't understand sending a child (who's not a soldier) into a war zone. Especially a girl! But they asked daas torah...

I'm just curious how many are considering postponing their child's trip.

May we all meet there soon with no fears!

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:45 am
I had a daughter there last year when everything blew up and it was nerve-wracking right after Oct. 7 but very shortly it wasn’t really any more scary for the sem girls in Yerushalayim than in previous years. True, they weren’t able to travel as they once had, but that’s not the main reason they’re there anyway. If I had one going this year and wasn’t given a psak against, I would send. May this year bring true and complete yeshuos for all of klal Yisrael.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:04 am
I sent my daughter there this summer... No, it wasn't a whole year, but she also didn't stay put in Yerushalayim.
I was there during the constant suicide bombing era so maybe that influenced my understanding that the best place for my daughter spiritually was in EY and I shouldn't get overly paranoid (and let me tell you those 3 weeks were life changing, I can't wait for her to iyh to to seminary for a school year).

I wouldn't postpone, you never know that the future will "seem" safer.

amother
Navy  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:39 am
I was wondering if the seminaries are going to delay start because of what is happening up north, but so far have not head anything. I wouldnt tell DD she can't go if the sem starts on time, but my husband really wants to tell her no.

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 10:08 am
You don’t feel the war in the non war zones. So where most seminaries and yeshivos are they won’t feel a thing. Only in the north and south is it actually more noticeable. Please don’t be worried the media here makes it much more scary than it is.

amother
  Navy  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 10:38 am
is there any real chatter from seminary heads to delay?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 10:42 am
I'm also curious whether US seminaries and programs are willing to take in the kids who would rather stay in the US this year. Is it too late to still get a spot? Otherwise not sure what everyone would do?

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 10:46 am
I’m still sending, the only ones not going to Israel are the ones whose seminary just closed last week or they’re not going to seminary in Israel in the first place. Mashiach should be here before seminary starts so why worry?

amother
  Navy

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:04 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
I’m still sending, the only ones not going to Israel are the ones whose seminary just closed last week or they’re not going to seminary in Israel in the first place. Mashiach should be here before seminary starts so why worry?

which closed last week?

eta - amen, mashiach should be here very soon! but need to plan in the event that not

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:29 am
amother Rose wrote:
I'm also curious whether US seminaries and programs are willing to take in the kids who would rather stay in the US this year. Is it too late to still get a spot? Otherwise not sure what everyone would do?

The US seminaries and programs are full. They filled up in Feb/March. Actually they got way more applications than usual, and some new programs opened up because more people were concerned about applying to EY.

penguin

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:45 am
I'm sure if there is demand someone will put together some sem programs in a hurry. Like the famous "camp rescue"...

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:50 am
If you're not considering sending now...you would've never sent. Every year there's another thing to worry about. And EY is the safest place in the world! I would go myself and bring my whole family

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:53 am
I was just there

It feels so calm when you are there

amother
Crocus  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:13 pm
My dd was there last year, and we happily said yes to shana bet. A larger number of girls are going back in various capacities than usual, including aliyah. (Some girls of these girls were headed for secular colleges and decided that was not a safe place for them anymore.) The only reason I wouldn't send is if my kid didn't want to go, and it would be a discussion first.

In terms of girls who went home for some time last year from her school, none wanted to. And grandparents were heavily involved in some of the decisions where the girl was fine and the parents were on the fence.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
With all due respect to imas in EY, you are all heroines! But....I have 2 grandsons there & frankly I think their parents are nuts!

I know, every bullet has an address but I just can't understand sending a child (who's not a soldier) into a war zone. Especially a girl! But they asked daas torah...

I'm just curious how many are considering postponing their child's trip.

May we all meet there soon with no fears!

Can I just point out that it's really not your place to judge your kids or call them nuts?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:20 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
In terms of girls who went home for some time last year from her school, none wanted to. And grandparents were heavily involved in some of the decisions where the girl was fine and the parents were on the fence.

Both of my grandsons who are there have chosuva grandfathers on the other side who said it's fine. (Said grandfathers also have married children who live there.)

I know when to keep my mouth shut...

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:28 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Can I just point out that it's really not your place to judge your kids or call them nuts?

Actually I'd rather you didn't.

I was using that as a shortcut to say I'm worried, I don't understand them, but of course they are adults & can make their own decisions.

amother
  Crocus

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Both of my grandsons who are there have chosuva grandfathers on the other side who said it's fine. (Said grandfathers also have married children who live there.)

I know when to keep my mouth shut...

I hear you. I cannot imagine it's easy from your POV. I bet your tefillos for them are really powerful.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:51 pm
DD spent this past summer in Israel. It didn’t cross my mind that she would be less safe there than in Manhattan, in fact, I was less worried about her there then the antisemitism of my other child working in midtown and taking the subway. From a safety perspective, I’m hoping she opts for graduate school there instead of the secular universities in the city. (Which both I and DH attended and I have no haskafic problem with.)

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:52 pm
My daughter already decided back in March to give up her seat. I had a bad feeling things would only get worse. I'm glad she's not going.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info