Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do most preteens have clear skin?

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:33 pm
Dd is 12. She's starting to develop. She has quire a bit of acne for months already, maybe even a year or more. Her skin is just blotchy and oily and she keeps having breakouts everywhere. I'm not surprised, because I have terrible skin as well. All, and I mean all, her friends around her age at various stages of developing seem to have nice clear skin, like children do. I haven't seen a single one of her friends with bad skin. So I'm wondering if most 12 year olds are putting a lot of effort into keeping their complexion clear, or if we were just unusually "blessed" with bad skin. And if they're doing something, what is it? Is there some product everyone's using that I don't know about that gives everyone baby-clear skin?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:40 pm
This is surely anecdotal evidence of course, but 2 young teens that I know never had acne and they both have multiple food allergies including dairy, soy, gluten, all of which are considered inflammatory foods. But really, who knows....

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:43 pm
amother Tan wrote:
This is surely anecdotal evidence of course, but 2 young teens that I know never had acne and they both have multiple food allergies including dairy, soy, gluten, all of which are considered inflammatory foods. But really, who knows....
You're saying you think their skin is clear because they're off inflammatory foods? Interesting. I totally believe that diet and inflammation play a part in healthy skin, and dd's diet leaves much to be desired, but the friends I'm looking at don't have any allergies or restrictions, they all eat a standard American diet.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
You're saying you think their skin is clear because they're off inflammatory foods? Interesting. I totally believe that diet and inflammation play a part in healthy skin, and dd's diet leaves much to be desired, but the friends I'm looking at don't have any allergies or restrictions, they all eat a standard American diet.

Totally genetics. I had junk as a teen and did and do have clear skin.. in my group of friend from HS only one had acne..

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:05 pm
I had bad acne as a teen and took meds for it. I believe it got worse because of the constant criticism I got for the little pimples. No one ever tried to tell me I'm ok and be kind to me about it

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Totally genetics. I had junk as a teen and did and do have clear skin.. in my group of friend from HS only one had acne..
I know there's a strong genetic component. I'm just really wondering how rare/common this is. I was always under the impression that teenage acne was a fairly common occurrence.

And when I asked what they're doing differently, I was wondering in terms of skin care products. Like is there some magic product everyone knows about and uses that gives you totally clear skin like that.

libadmin

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:16 pm
My daughter has been dealing with severe acne since she was 11 when she got her period and began developing. I too had bad skin at this age and eventually went on accutane, which I am against for personal reasons. Bh we see a great dermatologist who prescribed a whole regimen that has her skin under control. As an aside, my daughter eats plenty of candy and I don’t restrict her. Hope this helps.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:28 pm
I had clear skin but my 13 year old does not since she’s 11. I think we notice it on our kids more.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:37 pm
take her to a dermatologist

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 9:05 pm
Following
Same question with dd 10…

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 10:42 am
amother Plum wrote:
I had clear skin but my 13 year old does not since she’s 11. I think we notice it on our kids more.
I don't think it's just me noticing it more, since I started noticing it I've made a point of checking other kids and it's just what I'm seeing.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 2:44 pm
I had dreadful skin well into my forties even under the care of a dermatologist. My kids had reasonably clear skin, a few zits here and there in the awkward years but no pizza faces. They didn't do anything to get that way. Just fortunate. Maybe they threw some water at their face now and then but I wouldn't swear to it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics