Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Need Ice-breaker ideas for 7th grade

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 2:41 am
Hi Hi

I'll be teaching 7th grade in a girls school.
And a subject they absolutly hate!

I'd like to at least start off, w/ a fun ice breaker.

Any ideas welcome...

s1

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:34 am
Which subject? How big is the class?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:16 am
a generic game is give them a bingo board style paper , each square has something they have to find someone in the room who has and put their name in the box
ex someone who has a cat
someone who speaks 3 languages
someone who loves pistachio ice cream

it's just a fun start up. they run around trying to answer all questions the first.

Molly Weasley

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:46 am
I really would advise against it. Icebreakers can sometimes spiral out of control, and control is what you need, especially the first day.

Unless you're extremely confident you'll be able to control the class, do the Icebreaker a couple of days or even weeks in.

amother
Scarlet  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:53 am
Molly Weasley wrote:
I really would advise against it. Icebreakers can sometimes spiral out of control, and control is what you need, especially the first day.

Unless you're extremely confident you'll be able to control the class, do the Icebreaker a couple of days or even weeks in.

I agree

amother
  Scarlet  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 8:55 am
Instead, do a more creative activity that ties into your coursewiekr.
Like if its math, A math color by number.
If it's ELA, read a really interesting story.

I teach a lower grade. Day one is to be friendly but assert yourself as boss

Genius

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 10:14 am
You don’t need an ice breaker as much as you need a hook. I taught a terrible subject and managed to make it palatable. Don’t give up before you even started. Which subject is it?
I love prep. If you’ll share what you’ll be teaching I’ll be happy to help.

naomi2

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 10:20 am
I always loved the subject if the teacher seemed to live the subject. Find a way to love what you are teaching. Find a way to make the actual class more exciting and engaging and relevant to their personal life

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 10:25 am
Chiming in to agree that you shouldn't start with an icebreaker. I also wouldn't do a game or fun worksheet. I don't even give out or go over a syllabus. I just introduce myself, write which materials they need for class on the board, ask them to make quick name cards to put on their desk where I can see it the first two weeks, give very basic rules of things specific to my class that aren't obvious (I allow eating but not everything for example), and dive right into the material.

I have over a decade of experience, and I'm a very good teacher, and this is what works for me. The first day, the most important thing is that they think you are serious and confident.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 10:32 am
Make sure you're following my friend Mushkie who's awesome at engagement especially for middle school. evergrowingeducator.com

Rather than an icebreaker for the girls, an engaging activity to introduce this subject that they hate and for them to view it in a different way so that they're more amenable to learning it. what's the point? how will it help them? why should they learn it? present it in a different way.

amother
  Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 1:00 am
amother Dill wrote:
Chiming in to agree that you shouldn't start with an icebreaker. I also wouldn't do a game or fun worksheet. I don't even give out or go over a syllabus. I just introduce myself, write which materials they need for class on the board, ask them to make quick name cards to put on their desk where I can see it the first two weeks, give very basic rules of things specific to my class that aren't obvious (I allow eating but not everything for example), and dive right into the material.

I have over a decade of experience, and I'm a very good teacher, and this is what works for me. The first day, the most important thing is that they think you are serious and confident.

My seventh grade math and science teacher came in super strong like that. We really respected her.

First quiz was like this:
"Please take out a sheet of paper and head it for science.
Name on the right, date and subject on the left.
Number one.."

Absolutely no nonsense.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 9:04 am
Is the subject math? If so, I read an incredible story in 102 stories of Bitachon that I can summarize.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics