Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Carrier
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:00 pm
We're due soon with our second and I've been hearing that the adjustment from one to two is quite major. Does having a baby carrier help to free your hands if you've got a toddler around? Our son is now 2.5. When he was born we got a carrier but he hated it and it was too complicated to put on anyway. Does anyone have recommendations for a baby carrier that is comfortable for baby and mom? Also, any tips for this exciting transition bez'H?

amother
DarkKhaki  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:18 pm
I love ergo baby embrace

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:19 pm
Ergobaby embrace

amother
Iris  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:21 pm
I have an ergo. Make sure whichever carrier you get is ok for an infant or has an infant insert you can purchase to wear with it.
Yes it makes it so much easier.
I’m still somewhat limited when wearing the baby with what I can do but I can do soooooo much more than if I had to just hold her in my arms all day!
Also she can take naps in the carrier (which many babies love doing) vs. me spending time trying to get her to fall asleep somewhere else.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:22 pm
Love the carrier! I have an ergo Omni 360 and it's great. I've heard good things about the embrace too if you don't mind getting another when the baby outgrows it.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:25 pm
I love the Nuna cudl. No uncomfortable maneuvering in the back while baby is half in. You attach it to you then click baby in with front buckles.

amother
Freesia  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 2:25 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I love ergo baby embrace

Same. I've had different ones over the years but this one is a winner. Very easy to put on- closes from the front! Very comfortable.

A baby carrier can be helpful but it's not the magic bullet some make it out to be. Maybe because I'm short? I can't sit comfortably with it on, can't bend much. If baby is unhappy they will still cry. Also it's too hot for me in the summer. It's still a worthwhile purchase but be realistic.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 3:32 pm
The ergobaby embrace looks like it's way beyond my budget - I'm in Israel and it looks like it's about 550nis.
Is it really worth such a price? I can't really afford that, especially when I don't even know if it'll help.

cookier  

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 4:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
The ergobaby embrace looks like it's way beyond my budget - I'm in Israel and it looks like it's about 550nis.
Is it really worth such a price? I can't really afford that, especially when I don't even know if it'll help.

That’s crazy! That’s $150usd, it costs half that in the states.

A ring sling might be a more accessible option. I really liked the ring sling with my newborn. Once you get it threaded, you just put it on over your head and tighten.

amother
  Freesia

Post Mon, Aug 19 2024, 5:52 pm
Look up price for Tula carriers, they're great too. Or better yet second hand.just wash in hot water.

essie14  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:45 am
amother OP wrote:

Join this FB group
https://www.facebook.com/group.....rael/
There's a lending library for all different types of carriers and people also post when they want to sell second hand carriers.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:47 am
I love the lillebaby

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 4:11 pm
I don't have access to facebook, but thanks for posting.

I found the ergobaby embrace for much cheaper than my original findings, but it's still very expensive (it would be about $82 including shipping). I'm hesitant to spend so much money on a risk. Does anyone have experience with babies not liking other ones but taking to the ergobaby embrace? If it's worth it then I'll try to swing it, but if it isn't then I don't really have any extra money to spend. Would love to hear more of ppl's experiences. Thanks!

tichellady  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 4:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

I found the ergobaby embrace for much cheaper than my original findings, but it's still very expensive (it would be about $82 including shipping). I'm hesitant to spend so much money on a risk. Does anyone have experience with babies not liking other ones but taking to the ergobaby embrace? If it's worth it then I'll try to swing it, but if it isn't then I don't really have any extra money to spend. Would love to hear more of ppl's experiences. Thanks!

No one can tell you if it will work for you or your baby. If you buy it and it doesn’t work you can resell it

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:31 pm
Op, ask friends to lend you theirs to try. Some babies like them, some don’t. Some moms like them, some don’t. I didn’t use one around the house until I had my fourth kid. I use a few different ones for different stages/needs. It’s worth figuring out what works for you before spending on these things. You may be able to just borrow long term if a friend can spare one.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

That's what I paid. I can't say my baby liked it better but I liked it better. Which means I used it. And carriers don't work unless you use them.

You can try to get second hands, or sell it when you're done, or use it for a bunch of babies and divide the cost in your head. It should still be in perfect condition when you're the first baby outgrows it. It's well made.

I didn't mind when my baby out threw it, because by that age they're already more mobile and I didn't find the baby carrier as necessary.

essie14

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 12:40 am
amother OP wrote:

There are lots of options for buying second had or borrowing. The baby wearing community in Israel is very generous. You need to network - ask all your friends and neighbors. Maybe sign up for Facebook for this, it was a resource that was immensely helpful to me when I had my baby.
I was able to borrow different carriers from the lending library and then I bought 2 for myself and used them heavily. Sold one when my baby outgrew it so the cost of use was quite low.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 2:21 am
Thanks all for your suggestions and sharing your views. It's very helpful to hear all this.

Maybe it's just my neighborhood, but I hardly see anyone wearing baby carriers around here. Not that I care, I'd do it anyway. But I don't really know anyone I can borrow from. Facebook is blocked by my filter so that's not an option.

Do you usually use the baby carrier right away with a newborn? If yes then I need to decide soon because shipping can take a while. If no, then I have more time to decide.

Obviously the carrier only works if you use it, so it's got to be comfortable for Mom. But if baby isn't going to use it (like our previous one - he just screamed every time we tried putting him into it), then it won't be used either.

amother
Cinnamon  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 2:27 am
amother OP wrote:

I had 5 kids in the original Ergo baby and will be buying them embrace for my next baby even though I believe it will be my last. Kids love them because- bingo - they are designed ergonomically for mom and baby, unlike many cheaper ones.

What makes you think it is expensive? It is reasonably priced for what it is.
Buy used and resell if your baby doesn’t like them. But if they don’t, it will be probably be something else and not the ergo baby per se.

amother
  Cinnamon

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 2:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks all for your suggestions and sharing your views. It's very helpful to hear all this.

Maybe it's just my neighborhood, but I hardly see anyone wearing baby carriers around here. Not that I care, I'd do it anyway. But I don't really know anyone I can borrow from. Facebook is blocked by my filter so that's not an option.

Do you usually use the baby carrier right away with a newborn? If yes then I need to decide soon because shipping can take a while. If no, then I have more time to decide.

Obviously the carrier only works if you use it, so it's got to be comfortable for Mom. But if baby isn't going to use it (like our previous one - he just screamed every time we tried putting him into it), then it won't be used either.

You can start using the carrier when you get it.
It is from 0 on but I assume right after the birth you won’t be binding something around your hips.
You can resell it easily. These things are made to last. My old one will be replaced after 16 years
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics