Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What do Poskim allow Shabbos/9 days that I may not be aware

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:27 pm
What do OU type Poskim allow doing in the 9 days that I may not be aware of?

I recently asked if Im allowed to shop for a major home purchase, like granite slabs, and a very well known Posek said yes because Im not looking at a beautiful finished product. I was surprised that its allowed.

I never put a pin into a styrofoam Sheitel head on Shabbos because I thought id be cutting the styrofoam. I found out recently that its allowed.

I wonder what other things Im allowed to do on Shabbos or 9 days that I always thought was a no no.

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:37 pm
Cutting nails is only shavuah shechalbo, not the entire nine days.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:41 pm
Women can remove body hair during the 9 days

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 3:46 pm
Not knowing you I couldn't possibly guess what you know or don't know. I just recently found out that, while sewing a new article of clothing is assur (which I knew), repairing clothes that are torn is permitted. I had quite a few things that, naturally, I just noticed were holey in the last week--probably because I'm re-wearing things rather than wearing once and tossing in the laundry, so I give them a good looking-over first. Instead of hoping they don't fall apart completely while I'm wearing them, I sat myself down with my sewing box and fixed almost everything.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 9:32 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Women can remove body hair during the 9 days

Thats another thing I was not sure of. Thanks. I always assumed almost everything is Assur in the 9 days (besides eating).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note