Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School for Gifted Children in Bklyn or Manhattan
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 3:47 am
Does a Orthodox girls school for gifted kids exist? My daughter's school is giving us grief and want us to medicate her "to slow her brain down a little" because it's causing her to misbehave. We'd love to send her to a place that can nurture her gifts and also teach her a joyful yiddishkeit

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 9:26 am
amother OP wrote:
Does a Orthodox girls school for gifted kids exist? My daughter's school is giving us grief and want us to medicate her "to slow her brain down a little" because it's causing her to misbehave. We'd love to send her to a place that can nurture her gifts and also teach her a joyful yiddishkeit

Can you clarify if she is actually gifted or just needs support in school?

Did they actually say they want to slow her brain down?
I would be horrified if a school said that.

Where are you located and what type of school are you looking for?
Orthodox is a very broad term Very Happy

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 9:30 am
Was she evaluated for adhd? I think she needs to be tested and be clinically gifted to get into any schools. I spoke to someone who deals with gifted kids and there aren’t many resources or schools in the frum world. She suggested convincing the school to work with the kid supplementing material and allowing other type of work in school. But first you probably need to evaluate and know exactly what you are dealing with.

giftedmom  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 9:31 am
A Montessori style school might be a good choice

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 10:08 am
Shefa in the city is modern orthodox but it's specific to dsylexia and reading issues

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:22 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Can you clarify if she is actually gifted or just needs support in school?

Did they actually say they want to slow her brain down?
I would be horrified if a school said that.

Where are you located and what type of school are you looking for?
Orthodox is a very broad term Very Happy

She is gifted, no learning disabilities. Super duper brilliant and yes the school said to slow her down and yes we are horrified and want to pull her out. We are JPF in Brooklyn and are looking for any school that can accommodate her and teach her to love being frum. She can receive our personal hashkafa from home.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:27 am
giftedmom wrote:
A Montessori style school might be a good choice

Are there any frum Montessori elementary schools in NYC?

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Are there any frum Montessori elementary schools in NYC?

Gan yisroel in bp. I think there are also MO ones in NYC but I’m not so familiar.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 7:07 pm
I can't think of any schools that would accommodate unless you want MO and then the academics are more rigorous. If you like the hashkafa of the current school and she has friends, I would recommend asking the school to either let her read or do advanced quiet work during certain classes or to ask if the would allow her to do kahn Academy on a laptop during those classes. She can turn her chair around so the teacher can keep an eye on the screen to make sure she's not fooling around. Kahn academy goes at the child's pace and offers different subjects. They have testing after each level as well. Maybe they would agree on a trial basis to see if her behaviors improve with the harder lessons.

amother
Burntblack  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 7:23 pm
Don't know how old she is but for HS you should look into Manhattan High School.

otstud

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 7:25 pm
Gan aliya in Manhattan. It’s a Montessori school, teachers are jpg too.

amother
Bellflower  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 7:26 pm
Ramaz in Manhattan is an excellent school. While not exclusively for the gifted, there are many gifted children in the school and they challenge them accordingly. In high school they have tracks for several subjects.

mha3484  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 7:26 pm
I have a son with an iq above 130 and I wish this existed. Its super challenging. Feel free to PM if you want someone to comiserate with.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:32 am
A school that has a lot of one-on-one individualized learning will be able to challenge her. Look in to Sephardic Academy of Manhattan.

amother
Firebrick  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:37 am
Look into Shulamith.

amother
  Firebrick  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:41 am
mha3484 wrote:
I have a son with an iq above 130 and I wish this existed. Its super challenging. Feel free to PM if you want someone to comiserate with.

My son is also extremely bright and BH we found a yeshiva that has an enrichment track which works well for him.

Side note, while the average IQ is 100, the average Ashkenazi IQ is about 120. So a 130+ IQ in the yeshiva world is not such a standout, not comparable to how it would be a standout in a public school. You shouldn’t have such a hard time finding him a stimulating yeshiva environment. Statistically, there will be a few other boys in his class with a similar IQ.

amother
  Bellflower  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:43 am
No matter what there are always certain issues with gifted children because it is another way of being "special", and there are unique issues to it.
On one hand it's great and such a gift, but it is also a very lonely place to be in when the world is slower than you are. Gifted children also sometimes confuse their understanding something quick with having knowledge of the subject, and this where they sometimes clash with teachers. On the other hand, a good teacher will also be aware and give that child higher level explanations if they want them engaged.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:46 am
This is a kid who the menahel told me in early elementary was smarter then half the rebbeim. Its extremely hard and his school is fantastic. But its a hard lonely life. I wish there was a support group for this.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:47 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
My son is also extremely bright and BH we found a yeshiva that has an enrichment track which works well for him.

Side note, while the average IQ is 100, the average Ashkenazi IQ is about 120. So a 130+ IQ in the yeshiva world is not such a standout, not comparable to how it would be a standout in a public school. You shouldn’t have such a hard time finding him a stimulating yeshiva environment. Statistically, there will be a few other boys in his class with a similar IQ.

Which yeshiva?

amother
  Firebrick  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:47 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
No matter what there are always certain issues with gifted children because it is another way of being "special", and there are unique issues to it.
On one hand it's great and such a gift, but it is also a very lonely place to be in when the world is slower than you are. Gifted children also sometimes confuse their understanding something quick with having knowledge of the subject, and this where they sometimes clash with teachers. On the other hand, a good teacher will also be aware and give that child higher level explanations if they want them engaged.

Agreed. Being brilliant comes with its own challenges.

OP, I think most regular BY schools in Brooklyn have an academic program that can accommodate smart students, and most work with parents when a student is extra bright, to give her different work etc.

It doesn’t make sense that the school is asking you to give her medication to “slow her down” as in “make her dumber”. There are obviously some issues going on with her in class, perhaps related to her smartness/boredom, that they don't like (rightly or wrongly).

I think the issue here is just the school, you may not need a “gifted school”, just one who is willing to work with smarter kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics