Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Planning first bat mitzvah!

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:40 am
Need help planning dd bat mitzvah. I know how to make a bar mitzvah but this is my first dd. Classmates are not allowed and DH and I have a small family. Some will be flying in but overall it won’t be a big event. Maybe 25 ppl at most. Men included.

Give me ideas how to make it epic and beautiful and fun and memorable. I’m not hiring a Dj or dance person.

No party planner. I’m doing it all myself. In my house.

I’ll get tablecloths from a gemach but what else. Entertainment? Do I need a video of her growing up? An art project (age appropriate of course)..: what else?! Super excited to start planning. Iyh it’ll be a bit before thanksgiving.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:01 am
First off Mazel Tov, and have lots of Nachas. Can you possibly ask her what she wants to do as it’s her big day.
Maybe you can make care packages for the chayalim, the ppl in the north.
For a project maybe you can make candles for the menorah or havdalah

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:09 am
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
First off Mazel Tov, and have lots of Nachas. Can you possibly ask her what she wants to do as it’s her big day.
Maybe you can make care packages for the chayalim, the ppl in the north.
For a project maybe you can make candles for the menorah or havdalah

We are totally in this together Smile but she doesn’t know. She asked me for ideas… and I’m asking all of you!

She hasn’t been to a bat mitzvah before. As I said we have small families. boys are on top of her

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:14 am
Should the goal be epic and memorable or rather enjoyable and meaningful/fun?

Elfrida  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:28 am
Prepare dough in advance, and have her take challah - her first opportunity to perform one of the mitzvot especially observed by women. Then divide the dough between her and her cousins and let them make challah, or rolls. Send some home with everyone and keep some for Shabbos.

She can also give a dvar Torah based on her name, or the parshah, or any upcoming chagim. Do that, then eat, while the challah is rising and baking.

If you want, you can make a slide show of her growing up. You can also put together a photo album of her growing up, with lots of blank spaces. Everyone can sign the book, wishing her mazal tov, or giving her a bracha.

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:32 am
I don't think you need an art project for adult guests. You said no classmates are coming.
A video slide show seems to be de rigueur and I am sure she would appreciate it.
Are these guests coming for Shabbat or a weekday event?
I would make a nice dinner, she should plan the menu.
She can give a dvar torah and you and DH can speak as well.
Grandparents if they/you want.
Show the slide show and then any meaningful activity she would like. Taking challah, something related to the war in Israel, a different mitzvah project, etc.

goodmorning

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:33 am
Elfrida wrote:
Prepare dough in advance, and have her take challah - her first opportunity to perform one of the mitzvot especially observed by women. Then divide the dough between her and her cousins and let them make challah, or rolls. Send some home with everyone and keep some for Shabbos.

She can also give a dvar Torah based on her name, or the parshah, or any upcoming chagim. Do that, then eat, while the challah is rising and baking.

If you want, you can make a slide show of her growing up. You can also put together a photo album of her growing up, with lots of blank spaces. Everyone can sign the book, wishing her mazal tov, or giving her a bracha.

If you do this, note that according to some opinions, you can only take challah with a bracha if you keep for yourself a shiur challah (5 lbs of flour or whatever quantity you hold as shiur challah). To follow those opinions, make a large enough batch of dough that even after you give to guests to take home, you will still have a sufficiently large amount of dough reserved for yourself.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:33 am
I used digital photo frames and had a slideshow running on a side table the whole time. You can make a nice crafts project if you have enough kids. Have a song playlist and dance. You can play games or have dance shtick. Oriental trading has lots of fun stuff. Get your dd a nice dress so she feels special. Ask her input on menu.

Mazal tov!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:58 am
Choose a sefer, and learn it together with her between now and the Bat Mitzvah. She can make a kind of siyum, and speak about her learning. You can also speak about her,and what you have gained from learning together with her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics