Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
S/o shortcuts and automations

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:31 pm
Thank you so much "Camellia" on the other thread for posting your carplay automation and going through it with us step by step.

Does anyone have any other ideas for how to streamline life using the "shortcuts" app, or automations?

I have ADD and I feel like it would be so helpful, but when I look through the ideas it gives you, none of them seem useful.

Would love suggestions.

amother
Babypink  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:39 pm
I have one set up that tells me how much time is left until Shkiyah. I found out that shkiyah (I.e. sunset) according to iOS is a few minutes earlier than actual Shkiyah time (at least for me). I have my phone announce, "It's almost Shkiyah! Time to daven Mincha!" which conveniently helps for bedikos.

I set up a shortcut so I can ask my phone, "How long until candle lighting?" and it will answer me, "There are 2 hours and 17 minutes until candle lighting at 7:22 pm."

I put my suppers on a specific calendar on my phone/computer, and at 4 pm my watch tells me things like "Supper tonight is chicken and rice."

Then a half hour later, "Did you make supper yet?" etc.

I have it ask me, "Did you count Sefirah yet?" at 9 pm during Sefiras Ha'omer (I set it up once and it knows when it's Sefirah or not).

There are some job-related things I need to put online every day. My phone checks if they are up or not and alerts me if I forgot.

I love that it will say these things aloud instead of just being an alarm that I need to look at the screen for.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:17 pm
Wow! That is amazing!!!!

I would love to do the supper one. How would I do it?

Thanks!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:28 pm
Are you Camellia?
Love these ideas!

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:38 pm
If you have an android device check out “modes and routines”.

amother
  Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow! That is amazing!!!!

I would love to do the supper one. How would I do it?

Thanks!

It's a number of steps, so bear with me Smile

1) Go to your Calendar app.

2) Choose "Calendars" from the bottom of the screen.

3) Choose "Add Calendar" from the bottom of the screen, and again from the small popup.

4) Name your new calendar "Suppers". You can choose any color you want. Then "Done."

5) Now add a meal. Using the Calendar app, add a new event (plus sign on top right). It doesn't matter what time it is set for, just make sure it is the right day, and make sure it is in the "Suppers" calendar.

Now let's set up the automation...

6) Click this link using your phone and add this shortcut: https://www.icloud.com/shortcu.....9d586
You will now be in the Shortcuts app.

7) Choose "Automation" from the bottom of the screen.

8) Use the plus sign at the top right of the screen to add a new automation.

9) Choose "Time of Day" (you want this to run at the same time every day).

10) From the popup, choose the time you want it to run (I do 4:00 pm), set it to run Daily or Weekly (and choose which days).

11) Set it to Run Immediately (you don't want to have to click anything for your phone to tell you what supper is).

12) Click "Next."

13) Find the shortcut you just added and select it.

All done!

As long as you add a meal for that day on the Suppers calendar, your phone will announce it to you at the time you chose.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:10 am
Brilliant thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics