Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you go back to work for this $$?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:42 am
I’m going back to work in a couple of weeks after maternity leave. I’ll be paying the babysitter about $900 so coming home with between 1500 and 1900 a month (depending what time I get there each day)
Most of my paycheck goes to savings. However we are young, practically newlyweds, and want to build up our savings and investments to eventually buy a house.
Would you go back to work 9-3 and leave your kid by a babysitter for this amount? I really want to be home with the baby, I dread sending to babysitter and I’m much more relaxed when I don’t have to work… at the same time I need a life and need to get out… but if I’m doing it for so little money I may end up resenting it
I know the ultimate decision is up to me but I’d like to hear different perspectives

mha3484  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:45 am
Yes I would work 9-3. I think its an ideal schedule of being able to make money, have adult stimulation but you still get a lot of time with the baby. Most women when surveyed say that part time work is the most satisfying. In a few years you will have a preschool/school aged child who needs your attention more and if you have a good cushion/advanced more in your field you will have so many more choices open to you.

Last edited by mha3484 on Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:45 am
Money is money, so if you need the money, you are coming out ahead of the childcare.
9-3 is also a really long time for a newborn, especially if you're nursing.
Is there part time option? Something you can work from home?

Last edited by mushkamothers on Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:46 am
I’d look at mor long term. Like do you plan to keep him home forever. In reality er are working constantly for our children care. Tuition is coming a few years down the line. Most of your salary will go to that Smile
Will going back to work now build you up in your girls so you’ll make more one day.
Will you keep your child home next 4 years so you won’t have childcare next 4 years?
What is the long term plan?

amother
Cyclamen  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:47 am
I would have to figure out if we need the savings for the future, ie to have more kids, buy a house, to support this child and make a wedding for them…

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:48 am
Like you said, only you can answer this. Me personally, if I needed the money for daily living right now, I'd do it. But if it's just to save money for future expenses, then I would wait till baby is at least 1 year old, preferably 2.
If you are the type to enjoy being a sahm, you will never regret staying home with him for a year and not building up your savings.
In reality, you would be building up a much more important savings account by investing in your child.

amother
Outerspace  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:50 am
There are a few factors to consider.

What will your financial situation look like a few years from now? If your husband’s income can reasonably be expected to go up a lot in the next few years, I would be less likely to leave my infant to go to work. I’d rather penny pinch and stay home for the first year of their life, since I have the reassurance that in a few years we’ll have a surplus of income and it’s not a priority for me to build up savings davka this year.

What sort of childcare can you afford? If you’re leaving your baby in a small group or one on one, it’s much easier on the baby than with a larger ratio babysitter. I would not leave a baby in a high ratio group simply to grow my savings. It also depends if you know the babysitter personally and trust them.

Can you find a higher paying job? For working 9-3 your salary seems low. If you’re able to use your skill set to work from home 2-3 hours a day while your baby sleeps, you ‘ll probably be able to bring in $1k a month without sending them out.

Can you push off returning to work for a few months so that your baby is a bit older when you leave them? Since you aren’t working to cover bills.

Can you keep your baby home and babysit 2 additional babies? You’ll make similar profit.

Can you buy your hours 9-1 or similar?

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 9:57 am
Also, it matters a lot the value of your experience. In most fields, your work experience will make a big difference in your earning potential down the line. I would then definitely take that into account.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:03 am
yes! imo if you don’t go back to work now you won’t ever go back because it just gets harder with each additional kid (and yes the childcare expenses keep adding up)

HonesttoGod  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:05 am
$1500 to savings a month and you will work 9-3?
Most definitely would. Think how fast you’ll be able to afford a down payment.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:06 am
So future plan is beh husband wants to find a new job now that will give him more room to grow . So that by the time we have more kids I hopefully won’t need to work or work very little

I get very stressed when I’m working but at the same time I need to see ppl my own age and have a schedule
I have the option for a small group babysitter that’ll be a little more but it’s worth it

Cheiny  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:08 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m going back to work in a couple of weeks after maternity leave. I’ll be paying the babysitter about $900 so coming home with between 1500 and 1900 a month (depending what time I get there each day)
Most of my paycheck goes to savings. However we are young, practically newlyweds, and want to build up our savings and investments to eventually buy a house.
Would you go back to work 9-3 and leave your kid by a babysitter for this amount? I really want to be home with the baby, I dread sending to babysitter and I’m much more relaxed when I don’t have to work… at the same time I need a life and need to get out… but if I’m doing it for so little money I may end up resenting it
I know the ultimate decision is up to me but I’d like to hear different perspectives

I would hope your desire to be home with your baby, along with your stated “dread” of sending to a babysitter, would take precedence over your need to get out on such an extensive basis.

You can still get out occasionally and regularly while being a stay at home Mom, by leaving baby with a sitter here and there, which is much better than being out every day at work if you aren’t in dire need of the money, which it seems is the case for you.

It sounds like you are financially able to do that for now. Please keep in mind that studies show it’s so much healthier for baby to have parents’ full time nurturing when they’re very young and it has an absolute impact on future emotional health and for them to thrive.

You can always take a steady job when baby is a bit older. The time flies and that will come soon enough.

Last edited by Cheiny on Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:09 am
HonesttoGod wrote:

Not anymore! It’ll still take us time unless we eventually save more than that

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:09 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
Like you said, only you can answer this. Me personally, if I needed the money for daily living right now, I'd do it. But if it's just to save money for future expenses, then I would wait till baby is at least 1 year old, preferably 2.
If you are the type to enjoy being a sahm, you will never regret staying home with him for a year and not building up your savings.
In reality, you would be building up a much more important savings account by investing in your child.

Absolutely.

amother
Topaz

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:12 am
amother OP wrote:
So future plan is beh husband wants to find a new job now that will give him more room to grow . So that by the time we have more kids I hopefully won’t need to work or work very little

I get very stressed when I’m working but at the same time I need to see ppl my own age and have a schedule
I have the option for a small group babysitter that’ll be a little more but it’s worth it

So maybe wait till dh finds that new job? I wouldn't make any decision until that happens. Lots of men have hopes for better jobs but in reality that doesn't happen. Does he have special skills that are in demand that give him an edge?

Also, keep in mind the the job market has taken a downturn recently. It's not so easy to find a good job now.

You need a solid plan that covers all scenarios, including one that has DH not earning significantly more. Or you wait till he actually has that job before stepping back.

I would then factor in the high cost of living plus your desire to see people your age and have a schedule into your decision.

amother
  Outerspace  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:12 am
HonesttoGod wrote:

What?

If she saves $1,500/month straight for 7 years and 8 months she will save up $140k, which is a 20% down payment on a $700k house.

So maybe you and me have different definitions of fast LOL

This isn’t 1995, down payments aren’t $20k anymore.

amother
  Cyclamen  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:13 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
What?

If she saves $1,500/month straight for 7 years and 8 months she will save up $140k, which is a 20% down payment on a $700k house.

So maybe you and me have different definitions of fast LOL

Hopefully she’ll put it in a high yield savings account

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:16 am
Yes. To keep my career going in the right direction (no gaps, not stagnant), have adult stimulation, work toward my social security, even the small amount of money makes a difference...
Being about to work until 3pm is amazing. I wouldn't give that up because that's valuable later (and now, so I can spend many hours still with my baby).

amother
Burlywood  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:17 am
amother OP wrote:

I would but later on, from 9 months on.

amother
  Outerspace  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:18 am
amother OP wrote:

You’re going to get different opinions from different people based on how highly they value not sending out their babies.

Here is what I did. In the first year of my baby’s life, I worked the absolute minimal amount needed to cover our bills. I did not focus on savings at all. I wasn’t willing to go into debt or deplete our savings in order to keep my baby home, but I also was not willing to send them out if I didn’t absolutely have to. So I ended up working about 2 hours a day. Once my babies were a little older I began working more hours.

I was able to do this because I knew that IyH in a few years my husband will be earning a large income, so I wasn’t concerned about my “career trajectory”.

Your heart is telling you not to leave your baby, listen to it! It’s the greatest gift you can give your baby, even if you can only manage it for 6-12 months.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics