Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
6yo unable to wake up to use bathroom

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:03 pm
6 yo ds still can't wake up to use the bathroom at night. Some nights he can hold it in all night, although we wake him around midnight to use the bathroom. But his body doesn't wake him up if he needs to go. I've talked to his pediatrician without much success. I don't love those alarms that wake them up. Are there any other strategies?

marineparkmom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:37 pm
The current theory is that bed wetting is a biological process that stops when the child is biologicaly ready to stop. A child will wake up for the bathroom when he needs it without alarms once his body is able to.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:40 pm
Is he a mouth breather? Snoring or sleep apnea?

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:16 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Is he a mouth breather? Snoring or sleep apnea?

My 7 year old snores and bedwets. What’s the connection?

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:19 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
My 7 year old snores and bedwets. What’s the connection?
Snoring is a sign of airway obstruction. This means they can not fall into a deep enough sleep to trigger the release of vassopressin, which is the hormone that tells the kidneys to conserve water overnight and produce less urine.

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:37 am
My son grew out of it at 8. 6 is still young. I’d give it some more time.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:41 am
amother OP wrote:
6 yo ds still can't wake up to use the bathroom at night. Some nights he can hold it in all night, although we wake him around midnight to use the bathroom. But his body doesn't wake him up if he needs to go. I've talked to his pediatrician without much success. I don't love those alarms that wake them up. Are there any other strategies?

Mine doesn't know how to, never knew how to at night. She trained late. Started went off diapers at 4 yrs old. Wasn't ready before. Nights were always an issue. Never wakes dry. Taking in middle of night and whatever else didn't help.
She uses pull ups and wipes herself in the mornings. When her body is ready, she will be ready

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 1:32 pm
Yes, he snores. It's much worse in the winter. We barely hear it in the summer. We've been to 2 ENTs but nothing came of it.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 2:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, he snores. It's much worse in the winter. We barely hear it in the summer. We've been to 2 ENTs but nothing came of it.
Has he had a sleep study? Are his tonsils or adenoids enlarged?
An airway informed orthodontist should be able to help you.

Fwiw, the problem isn't that he doesn't wake to use the bathroom, it's that he needs the bathroom at all. Ideally, a child that age should be able to go all night without needing to pee
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training