Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Daughter packed herself..
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:51 am
As I’m going through my daughter’s room after she left to camp I see she left the pads I bought her! She didn’t get her period yet but I had got them for her to take along in case she does! She packed mostly herself and when I asked her if she packed them she said yes! Now I am not sure what to do! So far I left a message for the camp mother but I am upset with myself that I wasn’t more involved in packing for her. trying to think if I shld Walmart plus her some stuff to camp or if amazon is better? Feeling horrible Sad

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:56 am
My daughter (now bH married) did the same when she was younger. They’re super embarrassed about pads at that age. It will be ok. If she ends up needing, she can get from the nurse and then you can order her some.

Don’t order her any yet. It will be super embarrassing for her to open in front of her friends, not knowing what the package is, and she won’t forget that embarrassment.

Hopefully a bunch of her bunkmates will have pads and she’ll see it’s normal.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:58 am
amother OP wrote:
As I’m going through my daughter’s room after she left to camp I see she left the pads I bought her! She didn’t get her period yet but I had got them for her to take along in case she does! She packed mostly herself and when I asked her if she packed them she said yes! Now I am not sure what to do! So far I left a message for the camp mother but I am upset with myself that I wasn’t more involved in packing for her. trying to think if I shld Walmart plus her some stuff to camp or if amazon is better? Feeling horrible Sad

Speak to your daughter directly before contacting staff members etc.
Pads for periods are a sensitive subject for girls at that stage and she might consider that a breach in privacy.
It is actually possible your daughter left them out on purpose because she was too shy to bring them.

amother
Cornsilk  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:58 am
Seems like she was embarrassed to take it. I would find a way to get it to her discreetly, you don’t want her to be stuck. I got my period for the first time in camp and it was a disaster.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:59 am
Don't send her a package with pads if she didn't ask for them. She'll be mortified when she opens the package, expecting something exciting, while her peers surround her eagerly.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:00 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Seems like she was embarrassed to take it. I would find a way to get it to her discreetly, you don’t want her to be stuck. I got my period for the first time in camp and it was a disaster.

Oh no! Ok I reached out to the camp mother and hopefully she will tell me how to get them delivered to camp without anyone knowing. I’m just beating myself up that I wasn’t more on top of the packing 🤦🏼‍♀️

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
Don't send her a package with pads if she didn't ask for them. She'll be mortified when she opens the package, expecting something exciting, while her peers surround her eagerly.

That’s true! Maybe I’ll be able to send directly to the camp
Mother and she’ll call my daughter to her bungalow… I don’t know how else to do this.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:06 am
Don't send them. If she gets her period, she'll get pads from the camp mother. Don't embarrass her by sending them on the off chance that she'll get it in camp.

amother
  Cornsilk

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:12 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Don't send them. If she gets her period, she'll get pads from the camp mother. Don't embarrass her by sending them on the off chance that she'll get it in camp.

I was too embarrassed to go to the camp mother and used tissues. I kept changing them and was very self conscious but I refused to tell anyone. I would advise op to talk to her daughter about it and see how she wants to handle it.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:18 am
Oh my, please don't send them! It could be months, even years, before she needs them, and the embarrassment of opening a "care package" in front of them will be awful.

You've already done more than necessary by contacting the camp mother. That could also embarrass your daughter.

Also, you've mentioned more than once your guilt over not helping her pack. I think you're more upset about that than her not having the pads. Maybe you were busy or distracted with another kid or situation during the packing, but you're harboring a lot of guilt.

amother
Stonewash  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:30 am
She obviously didn’t want it. I’d stay out of it and let her navigate it herself. The first time is not heavy she can likely use tissues which many kids do in camp.

mizle10

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:35 am
amother Ebony wrote:

This!! She chose not to bring them. She will most probably not need them. Worst case scenario she can go to the nurse. I would casually tell her you notice she left them and she should just keep in mind if she does need the camp nurse is there.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:48 am
Just speak to her, tell her you saw she forgot them and if she needs them to go to nurse or camp mother temporarily and then call you and you’ll find a way to get it delivered discreetly.

sushilover

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Oh no! Ok I reached out to the camp mother and hopefully she will tell me how to get them delivered to camp without anyone knowing. I’m just beating myself up that I wasn’t more on top of the packing 🤦🏼‍♀️

She's fine. Don't beat yourself up. It was good parenting to allow her independence, even if she forgot one item.

amother
Winterberry  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:30 pm
If it makes you feel better your post made me realize that my daughter also may have forgotten them. I got for her last year for camp and she took them but still has not got her period yet.

I have newborn twins now and she also mostly packed herself I did remind her to take the pads but I'm not sure she remembered as they were not on her (very detailed!) packing list she made. I will have to ask her about it when she calls. I think she will be ok though her two best friends she went to camp with have already gotten their periods and I'm sure she would be comfortable going to them if needed.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:01 pm
Speak to her and see what the issue is.

If it was an innocent mistake like she could have left out a throw or something, tell her you are sending it to the camp mother and she should pick up from her bungalow.

If she was embarrassed to bring pads to camp, there needs to be a serious conversation about our bodily functions being normal, and you send them anyway.

I got mine in tenth, mom never let go anywhere from seventh grade without them.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:05 pm
My dd is going second half. Her pediatrician said that she should expect to get it in the summer.

I will have a conversation about taking pads to camp. I pack some discreetly when she goes away for shabbos

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:51 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
My dd is going second half. Her pediatrician said that she should expect to get it in the summer.

I will have a conversation about taking pads to camp. I pack some discreetly when she goes away for shabbos

And how does he know when she'll get her first period?

Iymnok  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:59 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:

Did she have an ultrasound?
My pediatrician said there's no way to know. Just, sometime soon. She was right lol!

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:03 pm
How old are these kids your sending with pads everywhere 12?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps