Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
S/o difference between emunah and bitachon

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 6:55 am
Reading the thread about books for emunah and bitachon reminded me of a question I had a while ago.

What is the difference between emuna and bitachon?

Now I have an idea, but I'm not fond of when op waits to see what ppl say before commenting their own thoughts, but I understand that they want honest options, without influencing other people....so I'm going to put my thoughts behind a spoiler tag do you can think about it then read my answer.

Hidden: 

I think emunah is past tense and bitachon is future tense.

I may not understand why everything in my life has to happen the way it did. Personally, I got married young, diagnosed with depression, got divorced within a year {no kids} moved back in with my parents, really struggled for a few years, eventually building up a good job with some good people, but there's still a bunch of hardship.

And I don't understand all of this especially when I look around at other ppl my age/younger. (And I know comparison is a tricky thing) But, I have a quite emunah that my good pal God had a very good reason for all of that.

Then when I look to the future as a single 38 year old who might soon have to live on my own for the first time ever, (since Israel, but that wasn't truly alone) I have no ideas of what the future can hold, if I'll ever get married or have kids. I'm not even 100% sure what I want out my life, my job, my relationships. And no idea of how life is gonna go...

That's when I remind myself that my good pal God had gotten me to this point in my life and I have strong bitachon that he will continue to guide me even if I don't realize it at the time.

And just to add another random thought about hishtadlut.... I think the focus of hishtadlut has to be the present. What choices are my good pal God giving me in this moment, and what could I learn from those choices. And what makes sense in this moment, for me and the person I was and the person I think my good pal God is guiding me to being.

Well... These were my rambling thoughts. Thank you if you read it. And I look fwd to reading your thoughts.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:47 am
Love the hishtadlus concept.

b.chadash

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:57 am
I have learned that emuna means believing that Hashem created and runs the world, and everything in it. (The root of emuna actually is more like knowing than "believing")
Bitachon means trusting that Hashem wants your good, that He loves you, that everything He does is for your benefit.

You can have emuna but not bitachon. You cannot have bitachon without emuna.

For example, a person can say-" Hashem is out to get me. He (c"v) hates me. He caused me to lose all my money."

A person who says that acknowledges that Hashem is in total control, but doesn't trust that Hashem did these things for his benefit. He has emuna but lacks bitachon.

Last edited by b.chadash on Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:27 am
b.chadash wrote:
I have learned that emuna means believing that Hashem created and runs the world, and everything in it. (The root of emuna actually is more like knowing than "believeing")
Bitachon means trusting that Hashem wants your good, that He loves you, that everything He does is for your benefit.

You can have emuna but not bitachon. You cannot have bitachon without emuna.

For example, a person can say-" Hashem is out to get me. He (c"v) hates me. He caused me to lose all my money."

A person who says that acknowledges that Hashem is in total control, but doesn't trust that Hashem did these things for his benefit. He has emuna but lacks bitachon.

Interesting. I don't remember if I learned anything like that. My OP was my own thoughts and ramblings.

peace2

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:55 am
I learned it similar to what b.chadash said. Emunah is abstract- belief that Hashem is fully capable, He create the world from nothing and continues to operate it, etc. (think in terms of the Rambam's principles of faith)
Bitachon is practical- when something is happening to ME in MY life no matter how bad it looks I know that it's ultimately good because Hashem only does good
So if someone is struggling with emunah they might have a hard time with concepts like creationism vs evolution or the thought of G-d being omniscient but most people who say they struggle with emunah are really struggling with bitachon- they believe Hashem created the world but are having a hard time feeling His involvement in their lives and that everything is for the best

peace2

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:58 am
Also I don't know if your definition fits precisely with what emunah and bitachon are but I don't think they're ramblings I found it thought provoking. Your definition of emunah as past tense might fit more with bitachon- because it's about Hashem's involvment in your personal life but I really like the idea, especially about hishtadlus

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 9:06 am
I am a convert (converted in my 20s and am now in my 50s). I was always a person of great emunah (and I think that can be said of all gerim who do so without ulterior reasons). But I didn't become a person with bitachon until after a very bad marriage and a debilitating divorce. Hashem gave me those life lessons so that I could develop bitachon. (When you can't depend upon anyone and the whole world seems against you, and absolutely everything seems to be going wrong, you really only have your relationship with Hashem and your belief He's got your back to get you through.)

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:02 am
Emunah is the brain. Bitachon is the heart.
Emunah is knowning bitachon is feeling the trust

b.chadash

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:24 am
singleagain wrote:
Interesting. I don't remember if I learned anything like that. My OP was my own thoughts and ramblings.

I hadn't read your hidden content (ramblings) before I wrote my post.
But I think its the right idea, aside from the past/future idea.

You know that Hashem brought you to this point, (Emuna), he coordinated events in such a way, gave you the challenges you face etc.

Bitachon is trusting that both your past and future life are in good hands, your good Pal G-d lead you to where you were because that was best for YOU. And in the same way, your good Pal G-d will continue to do what's best for you, whether you understand what that is or not. You look back at your challenges and judge Him favorably, because you trust that He loves you and has always loved you, with the greatest love possible. And you look forward to a future where He continues to hold your hand throughout any future challenges.

In terms of hishtadlus, the best line I have heard about how the concepts of hishtadlus, bitachon and bechira relate is this:
Everything that Hashem does is the absolute very best thing that could possibly happen, due to the circumstances which you put yourself in, by your own free choice.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:00 am
I also had this dilemma and Michael Safdi who focuses on Bitachon explains it very well.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/Ek2T.....lGDc8

shanie5

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 6:13 pm
My son explained the difference to me with this mashal.
You see a man cross a tightrope pushing a wheelbrrow. He does it many times. When asked if you believe he can do it again-you say yes-that's emunah. Believing he can do it.
Then you are asked to get into that wheelbarrow while he pushes it across the tightrope. Getting into that wheelbarrow? That's Bitachon!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational