Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What's the farthest/longest you ever had to commute?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:28 am
Totally just curious Smile

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:54 am
Me personally in my very short commuting life

An hour and a half which can turn into 2 hours in traffic. It's about 43 MI.

ETA: It's actually really only about an hour if there's absolutely zero traffic. Regular traffic is an hour and a half. It can turn it up to 2 hours if there's an accident or something.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:07 pm
Staten Island to Bronx. 75 minutes minimum each way

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:10 pm
My office moved to a new location that made the commute 2 hours each way (on a good day). It wasn’t that many more miles away from home but the traffic made it really long.
My work let me work remotely after they moved because there was no way I was commuting 4 hours each day…

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:31 pm
Five Towns to Lakewood.

AlwaysHoping

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:33 pm
Lakewood to Brooklyn

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:34 pm
I lived in Norh Jersey and had clients in Westchester, Long Island, Brooklyn and other areas around NY and NYC. This was pre Waze days and I had many commutes well over an hour and a half to 2 hours both driving and public transportation. I do not miss those days.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:46 pm
Lakewood to Manhattan via NJTransit bus for a really good internship right after I got married.

Also Far Rockaway to Jersey City to teach a class

egam

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:46 pm
I used to commute from Brooklyn to Piscataway, NJ. 42 miles each way. That was brutal. One of the main reasons we moved out of Brooklyn.
Now I drive 26 miles each way every day. And it’s got much worse over the years. Unfortunately, my boss doesn’t believe in working from home.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:01 pm
When I live in KGH (Queens) and worked in downtown Manhattan I had to either take a bus to the subway and walk 10 minutes or take a bus to the subway, transfer to another subway and then get out right by work. On a good day (which was rare) it took an hour. On a normal day it took 1.5 hours.

At one point I was recovering from mono, and couldn't stand for an hour on the subway, so I took the more expensive express bus. The express bus was an hour, plus I needed take a bus to catch the express bus. So end of the day it was more like 1.25 hours.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:27 pm
About an hour and a quarter commute to the office, but working in the field roughly twice a week could take up to 2-1/2 or 3 hours each way. That's not counting overnight trips for meetings and training.

cbsp

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 2:00 pm
egam wrote:
I used to commute from Brooklyn to Piscataway, NJ. 42 miles each way. That was brutal. One of the main reasons we moved out of Brooklyn.
Now I drive 26 miles each way every day. And it’s got much worse over the years. Unfortunately, my boss doesn’t believe in working from home.

Was also going to talk about my Brooklyn to Piscataway commute! But at least that was via car. Listened to many shiurim series during that tekufah...

Prior to that was Brooklyn to Newark and I hadn't gotten a driver's license yet, so even through the distance wasn't that far, via public transportation it was a solid 1 3/4 hours without counting wait times... So I learned to drive in Newark during my lunch breaks and was therefore eligible to be transferred to Piscataway... Which most likely saved my life since the Path train I would normally take was usually pulling into the World Trade Center at the time of the 9/11 attacks...

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:25 pm
I did a very short stint at a lab with a two and a half hour commute.

The work day was 8 to 5:30 but for me it was 5:30 to 8.

Not feasible long term.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics