Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Mishpacha magazine article

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:04 pm
Anyone have the article abt men and women in the work force? About keeping gedorim etc? I think it was the shavuos edition

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:09 pm

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:26 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

Did you post something here coz it came out blank?

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:37 pm
https://mishpacha.com/strictly-business/

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:38 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
https://mishpacha.com/strictly-business/

Thank you

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:38 pm
Why was it posted only in the women’s section? That annoyed me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:46 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Why was it posted only in the women’s section? That annoyed me.

My exact thought. Why are these things geared to the women and men don’t hear these things? I wanted the article to give to my husband as I think it’s important for him as much as for the women to read it

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:51 pm
Your men don't read the family first?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 5:20 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Your men don't read the family first?

Nope

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 6:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
My exact thought. Why are these things geared to the women and men don’t hear these things? I wanted the article to give to my husband as I think it’s important for him as much as for the women to read it
because men don't care and don't listen. It's why tznius speeches are all to women and men don't get shmiras einayim speeches.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 6:38 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
because men don't care and don't listen. It's why tznius speeches are all to women and men don't get shmiras einayim speeches.

So because men don’t listen therefore they mustn’t get addressed abt these topics either? Mustn’t know abt gedorim etc? Sounds to me then it’s obvious why these stories happen if there’s no two way working on these things seeing that we keep to boundaries etc

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 7:34 pm
The article bothered me. None of it could be realistically implemented in my workplace. (Hospital) it left me feeling like a dirty shaigetz

farm

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:00 pm
They covered this extensively in the main magazine not so long ago. At least recently enough that I remember lol!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:06 pm
I meant to write in regarding this article, but it never happened, I guess its easier to post here, lol.

The story with the manager with the PPD wife really bothered me.

It portrayed the guy as overstepping his boundaries by approaching his (female) manager regarding problems he was having at home. Perhaps there was more to the story that was not published, but in the story as it was printed, he did nothing wrong.

She's the manager, for heaven's sake- who else should he approach? As the saying goes - if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you can't handle the job of being a manager - which this is part of - then don't!!! Don't be a manager if this kind of thing bothers you.

Because the guy was acting 100% appropriate, it was the female manager who overreacted. I don't know why nobody else saw this.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 9:11 pm
Ugh this bugged me so much.
“Husbands should make sure their wives and daughters are working in a safe place”

I mean wth?! Is this the 1500s? The whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:13 am
farm wrote:
They covered this extensively in the main magazine not so long ago. At least recently enough that I remember lol!

Can you find the link?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:45 am
amother Ginger wrote:
I meant to write in regarding this article, but it never happened, I guess its easier to post here, lol.

Because the guy was acting 100% appropriate, it was the female manager who overreacted. I don't know why nobody else saw this.

I had the same feelings as you. I saw this too and wondered the exact same thing. It kind of diluted the whole message of the entire article because I was so annoyed at how this story was portrayed.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:50 am
amother Ginger wrote:

It portrayed the guy as overstepping his boundaries by approaching his (female) manager regarding problems he was having at home. Perhaps there was more to the story that was not published, but in the story as it was printed, he did nothing wrong.

She's the manager, for heaven's sake- who else should he approach? As the saying goes - if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you can't handle the job of being a manager - which this is part of - then don't!!! Don't be a manager if this kind of thing bothers you.

It's perfectly appropriate for an employee to confide in his superior about his marital problems??

He could have just said (or sent in an email): Hi, I just want to let you know that due to personal issues outside of the office, I may not be able to answer emails outside of work hours/take on extra projects/may need to cut down my responsibilities until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding.

I barely even told my boss that I was doing IF treatment. I ended up telling her- but she is a female!! Big difference there. I am definitely much more friendly with her than I would be with a male boss.
Such confidences blur the lines between boss and friend, and that is NOT something you want to do in the context of a male/female coworker relationship.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 8:15 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
It's perfectly appropriate for an employee to confide in his superior about his marital problems??

He could have just said (or sent in an email): Hi, I just want to let you know that due to personal issues outside of the office, I may not be able to answer emails outside of work hours/take on extra projects/may need to cut down my responsibilities until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding.

I barely even told my boss that I was doing IF treatment. I ended up telling her- but she is a female!! Big difference there. I am definitely much more friendly with her than I would be with a male boss.
Such confidences blur the lines between boss and friend, and that is NOT something you want to do in the context of a male/female coworker relationship.

Its absolutely in line with the role of a manager to be told when an employee is going through something that might affect his job performance.

Hi, manager, I just want you to know that I'm going through a difficult time right now because of x,y,z. The man in the article just stated the facts, he might have elaborated a tiny second to much (which is normal, he was obviously upset). I may need to take off time if something comes up...

If you are doing IF treatment which mandates you taking off time and you may he distracted at work, proper protocol is to tell your manager something. The fact that its uncomfortable to do do... that's just life.

This is a normal and standard procedure for business offices everywhere. The fact that the manager didn't like it... well, that's just too bad.

That's why I was taken aback that the Mishpacha article seemed to feel the employee had done something inappropriate- he didn't.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 8:29 am
farm wrote:

If so then I’m sorry for saying I’m annoyed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics