Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Would you do it? Or too risky?

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:36 pm
Hi,
We're considering buying a house in an area in New City (near Monsey) that doesn't have much frum presence as yet. The nearest walkable minyan is about 1.5 miles away. DH is a good walker and is ok with it (although, of course, he would have preferred a more nearby shul). We've been having a hard time finding a house in our price range that we like in a more established Jewish area. Our kids are older and can make arrangements to meet with friends or have them come for a sleep over, so that's not a major concern.
I really like this particular house but I'm afraid that there's no one else frum on the block or anywhere nearby. In a way, we can be pioneers of sort, and I believe eventually more frum people will move in. But there's no way to predict how long that may take, and if we're going to end up being the only shomer Shabbos family on the block for a long while. Would you do it?
(For reference, we are just plain frum. Not very yeshivish or Chasidish. The area in consideration is that near Tamarac Ave / Long meadow Dr /King Arthur/ Ethel Dr/ lady Godiva).

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:39 pm
Those areas are real mazal. Some areas in New City have built up really quickly, while other areas are not really building up. My friend is the only frum jew on her block for the past almost 10 years. She was sure she'd have more frum neighbors within the year but she's still waiting......

amother
Nectarine

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:41 pm
Personally I wouldn’t because I’m a social person by nature.

We tried looking a bit out (in another direction in monsey) and went to see a house. There was a “cousin” in garb across the street and other ppl blasting music cleaning the car and I just couldn’t imagine this being my life day in day out.

If it’s the only way to afford a house vs is it just to get a nicer house is also a consideration.

Another thing to think about is the geography of the area- is it walkable and connected to other areas? That makes in more likely to turn over.

Are you working with a good realtor? Ours really understood the market and has been involved in several areas developing in the past so she was able to really help us decide.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 12:23 am
amother Geranium wrote:
Those areas are real mazal. Some areas in New City have built up really quickly, while other areas are not really building up. My friend is the only frum jew on her block for the past almost 10 years. She was sure she'd have more frum neighbors within the year but she's still waiting......

I really hear that. We are thinking to give it 5 years max, and if it doesn't turn over by then, we would sell and move to another area. It's a nicer, more upscale neighborhood (although the house in question is more affordable than most in that area), so we think the house will appreciate in value, and will not be difficult to sell.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 12:33 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
Personally I wouldn’t because I’m a social person by nature.

We tried looking a bit out (in another direction in monsey) and went to see a house. There was a “cousin” in garb across the street and other ppl blasting music cleaning the car and I just couldn’t imagine this being my life day in day out.

If it’s the only way to afford a house vs is it just to get a nicer house is also a consideration.

Another thing to think about is the geography of the area- is it walkable and connected to other areas? That makes in more likely to turn over.

Are you working with a good realtor? Ours really understood the market and has been involved in several areas developing in the past so she was able to really help us decide.

I could be wrong, but I doubt there would be people blasting music etc. it's a nice, quiet neighborhood with mostly unaffiliated Jews (keruv opportunity?) so I'm not so worried about that aspect.
You do raise an important point about being able to afford a house vs. wanting a nicer house. I have to be honest here: I do not see myself as a shallow person who prioritizes aesthetics over yiddiskeit. However, I'm also at a stage of life where I feel I need certain little comforts, like a nice kitchen and a nice yard. We're not just a young couple starting out, and I can't go through extensive construction. I also work from home, and this house has a setup that would work well for my purposes. I just wish there was a way of predicting how this area would turn out....

And yes, we are working with a good agent, but she's unable to predict things either about this particular neighborhood.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 12:53 am
Yup. It's a gamble. In a way you will be able to attract your type of people. But you might get one neighbor who then attracts a whole different type.
We did it. Still doing it. Working hard to attract the type of people we would like to see our kids be friends with. Doesn't always work out. But there's a beauty of a neighborhood where we all get along despite our differences.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 1:23 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Yup. It's a gamble. In a way you will be able to attract your type of people. But you might get one neighbor who then attracts a whole different type.
We did it. Still doing it. Working hard to attract the type of people we would like to see our kids be friends with. Doesn't always work out. But there's a beauty of a neighborhood where we all get along despite our differences.

I hear you! Just curious: When you say you're working hard to attract a certain type, what does that actually entail? Inviting people for a shabbos? Going to open houses and talking to people? Anything else?

And yes, I too see the value and beauty in different types getting along. However, I'm also asking myself if I found a house in a frum neighborhood that wouldn't be a good match for us (age range, Chasidish vs litvish, hashkafa, lifestyle etc) would that necessarily be a major improvement over being in a neighborhood that hasn't turned yet...Yes, I know -- a yid is a yid, but it may feel lonelier in a way, to live in a frum neighborhood with people I can't connect with.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 1:30 am
I wouldn’t. New city is very spread out and it’s not like lakewood that it will turn over. Likely it won’t. If you have older kids they will need friends, likely your husband needs a shul and you need neighbors etc. it’s not pleasant to live in isolation. Even if there is a frum person here or there if people are moving for cheaper housing the neighborhood will not be a similar group and will likely be very random and physically far to walk to one another.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating