Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Grand canyon in August?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:47 am
Were looking for ideas for a family trip in August with my kids ages 7-13. They love nature and hikes and we always wanted to visit the grand canyon but I thought it's brutally hot in the summer. However, we saw an advertisement from chabad of Flagstaff that they have food and minyan in August and are not far from Grand canyon. Is it bearable in the summer? Also is Flagstaff itself a scenic place to stay with enough to do nearby? We don't like doing lots of traveling once we reach our vacation destination. So we'd do the canyon one day but stay closer the other days. Any insight appreciated!

peachmommy

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:56 am
I was there in August. Hiked a lot. Yes it's veryyy hot but it's doable with restrictions. Don't go hiking for hours midday, don't go anywhere without tons of water etc .. what I loved about the grand canyon is that you don't need to hoke long to get amazing views, unlike some other natural attractions.. there are many mini hike or viewpoints very short hikes from the parking lot and even scenic driving routes. We also drove to Utah in the same trip. If you have patience that was amazing too!! Bryce canyon.. incredible! And enough to hang around the area without hiking in the sweltering heat.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:13 am
We went to the GC in August and had a great time. Get an early start, bring lots of water, take breaks, and know when to turn around (it takes twice as long to go back up as it did to go down). We went down 1.5 miles to a stunning view and then headed back. Two hours south is Sedona, and two hours north is Page, both offer great activities to combine with the GC.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:14 am
I wouldn’t do it for all the money in the world

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:38 am
My boss went last summer. He came back saying the heat was intense and he likes very hot weather. They were two adults no kids.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:03 am
I'm confused by the mixed reviews

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:49 am
amother OP wrote:

It depends on your mentality. If you want perfect weather and total comfort, you won't be happy there. If you go with the mindset that you're going for the natural beauty which outweighs a bit of heat, then you can work on strategies how to minimize the discomfort and have a marvelous time.

We were initially worried about the temperature, but we realized that if we want to take the kids on a family trip, it will have to be in the summer and there's no gain in pushing it off. We did 3 weeks in Utah, Arizona, and western Colorado and had an amazing trip!

But if that won't work for you or your kids, then go someplace cooler (and maybe aim for GC for a quick midwinter visit).

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:57 am
amother OP wrote:

some people don’t mind (intense) heat. some even enjoy it. weather is my main criteria when picking a vacation destination but not everyone holds weather in the same importance

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:36 pm
Flagstaff is cool it’s the mountains it’s a great homebase. The Chabad people are amazing there. There is hiking there. The beauty of Arizona is that you can enjoy it without much walking. The Grand Canyon you can see in a half hour and head back. Sedona you can enjoy while driving through.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:41 pm
amother OP wrote:

They're not really mixed.

It's very hot. Some people like me don't tolerate the heat well. I wouldn't go.

For others who are better in the heat, it is suggested to get an early start before the temperature reaches its peak and take lots of water.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:42 pm
I went in August, just me and DH, no kids. It was really hot, we probably would’ve stayed and enjoyed the view longer had it been cooler. But I’m glad we went anyway.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:54 pm
amother OP wrote:

Even in august the weather can range from 79-105.

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:52 am
You don't have to hike at the Grand Canyon. You can stay on the rim and walk and take the hop on/hop off bus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics