Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Not getting paid for freelance work (s/o)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 1:23 am
OP who had no food for supper because clients didn't pay, got me thinking.

Why would s/o deliver the final product w/o being paid first? Probably (I hope) most people pay their bills. But if you've been burned...

I was left holding a bill for a mosad once, they're people we know well (& they asked me to do the project) & I still never got a satisfactory answer. DH says just be mochel but I have a hard time with the idea.

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 3:07 am
As a graphic designer, it is very hard to know when the project is completed.

A classic joke is looking at a graphic designer's computers, and seeing files labeled "BrochureFinal.pdf", "BrochureFinalFINAL.pdf", "BrochureREALLYFINAL.pdf", etc. I eventually got smart and just number my files (SocialMediaAd01.jpg) and the latest version is the final one.

Anyhow, in many professions companies are given time (net 14, net 30) to settle bills.

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 7:01 am
Suggestion- create an email address for a fictitious admin or male boss. Have them send out the payment reminders. Studies have shown that people are more likely to pay their bills that way.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 7:54 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
Suggestion- create an email address for a fictitious admin or male boss. Have them send out the payment reminders. Studies have shown that people are more likely to pay their bills that way.
Hey, like this idea! BH I haven't gotten burned so much as a freelancer, but I'll keep this idea in mind.

What I didn't understand about that other thread is to me, freelancing is a luxury. BH I can work in this style because my husband carries the main burden of supporting our family. If his salary was not enough, I would be forced to look for a job as a salaried employee, not as a sporadic freelancer.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 7:55 am
amother Azalea wrote:

A classic joke is looking at a graphic designer's computers, and seeing files labeled "BrochureFinal.pdf", "BrochureFinalFINAL.pdf", "BrochureREALLYFINAL.pdf", etc. I eventually got smart and just number my files (SocialMediaAd01.jpg) and the latest version is the final one.

Anyhow, in many professions companies are given time (net 14, net 30) to settle bills.
So true! Very Happy

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 8:23 am
Charge 50% deposit before you start, don't do any work without a credit card on file - with a signed contract stating that the card will be charged if balance isn't paid within x amount of time, and don't release final files until you're paid.

And that don't release rule stands true even if the final version doesn't end up being final.

Happens to be I don't do this myself, but I know that I should, and so when a client doesn't pay me I know it is my fault and I could have prevented it.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:15 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
Hey, like this idea! BH I haven't gotten burned so much as a freelancer, but I'll keep this idea in mind.

What I didn't understand about that other thread is to me, freelancing is a luxury. BH I can work in this style because my husband carries the main burden of supporting our family. If his salary was not enough, I would be forced to look for a job as a salaried employee, not as a sporadic freelancer.

I don't think a freelancer is a luxury. You just need enough clients. Freelancers get paid more for their work/time than salaried employees.

luckiestmom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:19 am
amother Azalea wrote:

Another suggestion:
Send only low resolution files until payment, that way they can preview the file but not have any use of it before they pay. You can also put a watermark on the file with your logo and remove when they pay.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:28 am
I don’t begin any project until a 50% deposit is paid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics