Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yisroel

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 12:55 pm
Would you name yisroel now with all that’s going on in the world? Is it setting the child up for anti semitism
Wwyd

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 12:57 pm
I didn't realize this, but apparently it's a really hard name for non-jews to pronounce. So I would give an additional English name regardless of antisemitism.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 12:57 pm
OMG what? Welcome to the reform movement. If we blend in we'll prevent antisemitism. Think again.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 12:59 pm
amother Gray wrote:
I didn't realize this, but apparently it's a really hard name for non-jews to pronounce. So I would give an additional English name regardless of antisemitism.

Why is Yisroel a hard name for non Jews to pronounce?
OP, I'd be proud to name my child this, especially now.

unnamed

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:01 pm
Do you think he'll be harder to identity as Jewish with a name like Chaim or Shimon?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:03 pm
I gave it. Hard to pronounce but it's my great grandfather's name. I also love it. I wanted the ashkénaze pron so this is how I spelled it. Ftr probably most people don't recognize it lol

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:06 pm
You might be identified as a Zionist if you name your son that. 🤩

My Hispanic pt’s name is Israel.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:33 pm
amother Gray wrote:
YisrOel might be hard, but YisrAel is not as hard, as Ive seen.

And there are so many jewish/hebrew names that are hard to pronounce. So what? Be proud of your jewish/hebrew name.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:39 pm
I gave a different legal name.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:28 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
Why is Yisroel a hard name for non Jews to pronounce?
OP, I'd be proud to name my child this, especially now.

Something about where the vowels are placed. I'm speaking from experience.

Of course it's better than Chaim, there are many names that are worse - I'm talking about if that's something you care about.

If you spell it this way, Yisroel, I don't see both non-jews connecting it to Israel. They can garble it in 10 other ways but they're not going to call him. Israel.

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 8:57 am
I love it and would specifically give it now because of the war!
I'm pregnant and have been saying that I want to name the baby Amichai Yisroel for Am Yisroel Chai but my yeshivish DH will not hear of the Amichai part. He's totally fine with Yisroel though.

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:08 am
Yisrael has always been a favourite name of mine. It's also a family name and I named one of my sons Yisrael with an a. I think it's a very fitting name now, davka because of the war.
I live in Israel so I can't comment on ease of use in the secular world, but all the Yisroels in my family in Chul have always used the name Israel when necessary and I don't think they had too many problem with it. these days could be different though.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:11 am
Yes I would

I am more likely to use names like Yisroel and Yehuda

I already have a Yisroel bH

I am a proud Jew and nothing can stop me

(Btw I highly doubt Yisroels get more anti semitism than the rest of us. Haters are gonna hate.)

amother
Bluebell

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:37 am
YES! I specifically named my child Yisrael because of what's going on in the world. We named him for Am Yisrael and Eretz Yisrael (amongst other reasons)!
It never occurred to me that this name would be any different than any of the obviously Jewish other names my kids have.
The Jews in Mitzrayim were redeemed because they didn't change their names.
It's one of the things that kept them from completely assimilating completely (and we know that they were on the 49th level of Tomah before yetzias mitzrayim)
Why would you do that, when we need the geulah more than ever!!

Side note, I once heard this story of an older fellow who was not frum, whose name was Israel. He said that his name what what kept him from intermarriage. How can he marry a non Jew with a name like Israel?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names