Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bone pain

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 11:58 am
im very worried...my child has been waking up at night crying of bone pain in the same leg every time...the X ray was unclear and we are waiting for an MRI, but the wait is soo long, every day that goes by I'm getting grayer and grayer, I am thinking the worst G-d forbid...can anyone share their experiences?

Bsimcha7

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 12:37 pm
Did you rule out lyme and co factor? Very common symptom.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 12:49 pm
a regular blood work lyme test was negative...I have lyme myself and I don't think this is lyme...there were bone cysts visible on x ray but the X ray at the site of location of pain is unclear...the doctor said we'll have to do MRI and probably biopsy....im scared

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:10 pm
No advice just letting you know I’m davening for your child. I hope everything turns out ok ❤️

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:12 pm
Oy I’m so sorry. This is so scary. Would you be comfortable posting the name so we can say tehilim ?

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:13 pm
I don’t know how old your child is but my child also suffered from bone pain specifically in his knees for a few months . At times it was debilitating and he missed tons of school. First, make sure his white cell count is ok (I’m sure your pediatrician probably did this already) it took a few drs to even believe he was in pain because they couldn’t find the source of his pain and they felt it was due to psychological/psychiatric issues. We finally found a wonderful pediatric rheumatologist (Dr.Ian Ferguson) affiliated with Yale who was able to get my sons pain under control with medication. He has offices in a few different locations in Ct. He also does tele-health visits as follow up visits. We were very impressed with his tele-health visit as well. Dr. Ferguson was very caring and really listened to my son enabling him to help find a diagnosis and a proper treatment pain. My sons symptoms did not fully go away but he is 90% better then he was in the past and missed very little school this year bh.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:13 pm
Growing pains? My girls has woken crying from growing pains many many times over the years

Bsimcha7

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:30 pm
Usually lyme or co infection don't come with cysts, correct, just know that the lyme test from pediatrician can very well be false negative.
If you live in the tri state area ( maybe other states as well?) Call Refua or Chaim hotline explaining the situation, they might be able to get you an earlier appointment.
Beseros Tovos!!!

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:40 pm
Did your child recently have a virus with possibly a rash? “Slapped cheek” virus (fifths disease) has been going around the tristate. Some kids get terrible joint pain from it which can last for weeks or months.

https://kidshealth.org/en/pare.....lems.

If not, You should def see a rheumatologist.

I assume you did comprehensive bloodwork to check white blood cell count etc?

amother
Peony

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:45 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Growing pains? My girls has woken crying from growing pains many many times over the years

My son had this also. He’d wake up at night crying, mostly that his knees were hurting. I took him to the pediatrician and then for x-rays. Everything was normal. They told us there was literally something called growing pains. And it went away after a few months.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
im very worried...my child has been waking up at night crying of bone pain in the same leg every time...the X ray was unclear and we are waiting for an MRI, but the wait is soo long, every day that goes by I'm getting grayer and grayer, I am thinking the worst G-d forbid...can anyone share their experiences?

My son used to wake up with pain in his legs very frequently…doctor told us it was growing pains but it was so frequent I just couldn’t believe that. We ended up going to an orthopedist who said he desperately needed custom orthotics and the pain is basically gone since he started wearing them.

I’m wondering how your child is able to distinguish that it’s specifically bone pain vs muscle etc. ?

Hatzlacha, I hope you get answers soon and it’s something minor and easily fixable!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 1:56 pm
Sometimes this is strep. Definitely worth checking.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 2:36 pm
My kid had this and needed orthotics badly. Go to a podiatrist to rule out leg/ feet issues. It’s often an actual physical problem and for some reason doctors don’t send you to a podiatrist.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:19 pm
I don’t know if children get this but there is a bone disease called Paget’s disease of the bone. There is joint pain, leg pain… certain numbers would be elevated when doing lab work (not while blood cell count). A rheumatologist deals with this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 3:57 pm
its a certain spot on the same leg behind the knee /hamstring, it can't be growing pains. growing pains would be alternating all over, no?

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 4:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
its a certain spot on the same leg behind the knee /hamstring, it can't be growing pains. growing pains would be alternating all over, no?

No. My son had this. Very painful behind knees that would randomly attack him. He would scream for hours and roll on the floor from pain.
Very often there’s a benign cyst in that area called a bakers cyst. It’s nothing but sometimes there’s a buildup of fluid that can cause some pain. It’s usually found in children between 4-8 years old.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 4:11 pm
Get an MRI asap. It could be osteomyelitis or another similar issue. I know a kid who had it years ago who had to be hospitalized for antibiotics. The kids main symptom was pain and inability to walk due to pain...

amother
Tan

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:31 pm
My son had a benign tumor in his bone. When dealing with this I found out it’s more common than you would think. Because it can be taken care of routinely, it’s not something you would necessarily hear about from your friends.

While doing some of the imaging. They said he had had this as well, but we had never treated it.

Osgood-Schlatter disease
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics