Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Theodore Boone books by John Grisham

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:14 pm
Someone gave to my kids as a gift and I don't have time to vet them myself. Anything I should know?

cbsp

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:23 pm
This is the one with the kid lawyer?

It contains frank discussions of abusive families, divorce, workings of roles in marriage. IIRC there may be discussion of suicide and a kid running away from home. Definitely a murder and discussions as to why a spouse would want to kill their spouse. Gets into politics of illegal immigration and homelessness...

I ended up letting my t(w)een read it and don't remember if I actually censored it. Turns out they read worse (IMNSVHO) in school so I wasn't gaining anything by not letting them read it...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:01 pm
https://kosherbooks.org/?q=series/62050

cbsp

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:05 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
https://kosherbooks.org/?q=series/62050

Thanks, I forgot about the hippie (and portrayed as cool and wise) uncle.

I only read the first 2 books of the series.

Interesting to see what raises the alarm for the kosher books folks...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:12 pm
They try to be detailed enough that parents can then have the whole picture to make an informed decision.

cbsp

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
They try to be detailed enough that parents can then have the whole picture to make an informed decision.

Yes, I know and I appreciate that. Sometimes I wonder why things bother me and they don't mention it at all... And vice versa...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:34 pm
Thank you so much. Ugh it looks like I will really have to read this myself to understand what my kids are reading. And it's a whole series and they already saw it and I have no time for this 🤦‍♀️

My ex is the one who gave it to them. He keeps sending books, it's out of control. I very very rarely veto a book altogether (I only put aside 1984 because I was told it's very explicit. My kids are preteens!) because it could be seen as getting between the kids and their father but I do like to know what they're reading so I can discuss if needed. I'm just so frustrated that they keep coming at such a pace and with seemingly no rhyme or reason except a couple of times the kids made a request. I don't even have space for this. We have libraries for a reason.

Ok sorry I just really needed to vent. But thank you so so so much for the tips.

cbsp

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:39 pm
Ooof, that's complicated.

Can you censor the dealbreaker stuff? Can you read it to them and edit while reading? (I'm doing that with Harry potter 4 now)

B'hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:37 pm
They are voracious readers, one is definitely faster than I am, nobody including me has the time or patience to wait for me to read it all aloud.

Fun thought though.

cbsp

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
They are voracious readers, one is definitely faster than I am, nobody including me has the time or patience to wait for me to read it all aloud.

Fun thought though.

Yeah, I hear.

Can you record a chapter (or whatever chunk) at a time and present it to them complete? My kids are begging me to do that with hp4 (and 5-7) but so far that hasn't happened... (I'm only suggesting out of the box ideas because this way you're not the bad guy getting in between the kids and their dad's gifts)

It's getting harder to find appropriate books that are consistently good for an entire series...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics