Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Is it gross to get a exersaucer secondhand?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:25 am
I hear babies really like exersaucers. I can’t afford to buy one new but see some used ones available on Facebook marketplace for cheap. Thing is, babies mouth on toys and I feel like it’s unsanitary. Not sure what cleaning products I’d use.

Java

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:26 am
Not necessarily gross but definitely wash/bleach anything that is touching the baby or could go in his mouth

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:27 am
try getting one from someone you know. May help with the gross factor. And definitely wash very well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:28 am
My baby is 9 months old. At what age do they stop liking the exersaucer? I wonder if the window is about to close in which case I wouldn’t spend the time getting one.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:29 am
amother OP wrote:
My baby is 9 months old. At what age do they stop liking the exersaucer? I wonder if the window is about to close in which case I wouldn’t spend the time getting one.

At about a year depending on how advanced they are physically

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:30 am
not gross at all

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:34 am
I got mine secondhand and just gave it a reasonable wipe down. In my neighborhood everyone is always passing along their exersaucers, bouncers, high chairs etc. I will say though that my son is 9 months now and isn't as interested in it as he was before, but I think it's still nice to have around. And once he outgrows sitting in it, this one at least can be used like a tabletop so he can stand with it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:34 am
Can you borrow it’s annoying to store especially because you are only using it for short time

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:36 am
amother OP wrote:

9 months? Forget it. It's for the brief window around 4 months when they're not mobile yet but have good head support and can stand on their tippy toes in one of the height settings. (And even then it's only designed to be used for short periods at a time because it puts unnatural stress on the baby's body.)

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:39 am
It isn’t gross. It isn’t so necessary anymore bec they’re almost outgrowing it at this age. I’m thinking of getting my 9 months baby a Walker now. She’s still enjoying the exasaucer though but don’t think for much longer.
Every child is different though. If u feel that ur baby will enjoy it, it won’t hurt to get one.

Machel

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:43 am
I almost exclusively buy baby toys second hand. They use them for such a short period of time I don't want to pay full price and I would rather continue to use something than buy new.

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:46 am
I don't understand why it would be gross.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:47 am
I think it's gross to buy new things and contribute to the landfills. Germs are a good thing for babies! Can wipe anything down.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:47 am
We borrowed one that gets passed around the community. The thing must have been 15 years old (but in great shape)

I may have washed the seat, but I think I only wiped the hard goods and toys down. Dish soap and water or bleach and water if you want to be extra careful.

I think we only used it for 3-4 months. DD was maybe 7-8 months old? I know it was around the time she started crawling, and it didn’t last much longer after that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:20 am
Okay, seems like I missed the window for it. I’m glad I won’t have to store it! Don’t have anyone to borrow it from.

It’s gross because babies mouth on everything and I don’t want my baby doing that on a toy someone else’s kid mouthed on for months. No judgment to anyone who feels differently!

Thank you so much to everyone for your input. Really helpful!

hotpretzel

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:26 am
Perfect age to get a used activity table and/or walker

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:27 am
I wouldn't put my kid in one until around 9 months. this is the window for it. it's not good to use before this age. kids lick and touch everything. it's part of their development. I assume you will let your kid go to the park and library etc which means they will be touching surfaces other kids touched. it's fine. you can wipe the exercsaucer down with some hydrogen peroxide and call it a day

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:46 am
What gross? Wash well with soap and water and shalom al Yisrael. If it makes you feel better, use bleach, but it's not necessary. Enjoy the exersaucer!

gr82no

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:20 pm
I would sanitize it. But I wouldn’t get it because I don’t think it’s healthy for the baby to be in such a position.
So many things everywhere are germy.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:37 pm
Look for an activity table for that age.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics