Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What are Shabbos clothes?

lamplighter  

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 10:45 pm
What makes something shabbosdik?
Can you describe your typical shabbos outfit vs your everyday clothes?

Is it a style? A type of material? Just different clothes than usual?

Denim is definitely weekday that seems to be the only "rule".

As a working woman I find the lines blurring and and I'm wondering how you differentiate.

Grandmama

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 11:25 pm
The definition changes from year to year, and in every area its different.
I bought something to use as a robe, others were wearing it in shul. Exact same outfit.
Some robes are so gorgeous they could pass as wedding gowns. Who makes the rules? Who follows them?
I think anything goes, more or less.
Wealthy people wear expensive clothing, for Shabbos as well as for every day.
Others wear whatever they want to wear. Something casual looks different than something more formal or dressier.

PinkFridge  

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 9:02 am
Wow. What a 20th, 21st century question!

I think you have a great question though, with the working woman angle.

Isramom8  

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 9:31 am
My principal would wear old Shabbos suits to school for weekday suits.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 9:34 am
Isramom8 wrote:

Man or woman principal?

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:34 am
Shabbos clothes are clothes reserved just for Shabbos. So while you can wear the same formal suit to work or on Shabbos, you should have one especially for Shabbos so that when you put it on, mentally you're in the 'shabbos zone.' Am I explaining this well?

I would also go dressy and less formal for Shabbos vs work. Like for Shabbos I would wear ruffles or other feminine details or bold designs, whereas for work I might go more simple and classic.

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 3:09 pm
It depends.

I work in a "suit office" so a style of what I would wear for everyday, I could see girls in high school (who wear uniforms every day) wearing for Shabbos. Like a twinset and flowered skirt, or some such. For me, that's an everyday outfit. For someone in a uniform, that's very dressed up.

lamplighter  

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 4:13 pm
I don't wear suits for either.

When I was in HS I remember eating at a teacher's house for a meal (with my class) and she wore something that she would wear to school and I thought that she should have different clothes for shabbos. Perhaps then I was being judgemental but I still believe that concept to be true.

Dresses are for shabbos - that's one rule I have Smile but I'm not really wearing dresses now...

Maybe people can describe their shabbos clothes so I can get an idea.

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 4:45 pm
Some ladies who wear suits all week wear dresses for Shabbos. I guess if they are silk and fancy, then I could see that a dress is fancier than a suit.

In department stores, the Dresses section means Fancy Dresses.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 4:56 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Man or woman principal?

Dr. Blau is a woman, of course.

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 5:47 pm
I had a neighbor who, when she got new Shabbos robes, wore the old one for everyday.

It looked weird.

zaq  

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 6:17 pm
Everyone has a different definition; the only constant is that it's nicer than your everyday clothes. Trust me, if a person lives in jeans--and while many of you will jump down my throat and shriek that frum women don't wear pants, I will tell you that while women who describe themselves as "frum" usually don't, many, many women who describe themselves as observant or dati and keep shabbat kehilchata, TM kehilchatah and kashrut kehilchata, do in fact live in jeans--then a denim skirt may be their definition of Shabbosdik. many but by no means all such women tend to be college age and single, and once they enter the workforce may dress a little less casually, but they are there.

Within any community there may be a spoken or unspoken definition of what's Shabbosdik, but for an individual it will depend on what you wear during the week. If you wear designer skirt suits with silk blouses to work, chances are you won't care to wear that on Shabbos.

Tova

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 6:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I had a neighbor who, when she got new Shabbos robes, wore the old one for everyday.

It looked weird.

I do the same.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 7:02 pm
I will sometimes wear the same outfits for shabbos or weekday, but on shabbos I wear jewelry to dress it up, and I may wear something nicer on my head, with nicer shoes. some of my clothing are very definitely non-shabbos outfits, and some are clearly non-weekday.

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 7:03 pm
In this day and age, there is definitely a fine line - or even no line - between Shabbos and everyday outfits.

Bea21

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 7:22 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Shabbos clothes are clothes reserved just for Shabbos. So while you can wear the same formal suit to work or on Shabbos, you should have one especially for Shabbos so that when you put it on, mentally you're in the 'shabbos zone.' Am I explaining this well?

Thumbs Up
But it should be "nicer"--whatever your definition of "nicer" is.
(I think I remember hearing somewhere that there is a halacha to wear clothing set aside for shabbos--anyone know of a source?)

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 7:36 pm
maybe I getting stuck on what constitutes as "nicer".

I wear pretty formal clothes to work.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 7:44 pm
The Gemara establishes in Masechet Shabbat that among the ways one must show honor to Shabbat is by wearing special clothes on this day: “your clothing on Shabbat shall not be the same as your clothing during the week.” Accordingly, the Shulhan Aruch (Orah Haim 262:2) writes, “One must endeavor to have nice clothes for Shabbat” ...

The Mishna Berura adds that ideally, one should wear on Shabbat clothing that he does not wear at all on weekdays. It might be difficult for a person to ensure not to wear his Shabbat clothes at any time during the week, but this would certainly be a laudable practice to follow if one is capable of doing so.

From www.dailyhalacha.com/Display.a.....=604. Bold mine.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 8:05 pm
I had a coworker who "wore her black shabbos skirt all week". I didn't clue her in that it was no longer a shabbos skirt ....

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 9:02 pm
I wear business casual and sometimes business to work so I do find that sometimes it's hard to decide whether something is Shabbos or weekday. I usually have a few skirts that I wear for both (black pencil skirts or something similar) but I always have separate tops I never overlap. It just doesn't feel like Shabbos if I'm wearing an outfit I wear on a weekdayl Mostly my weekday tops are simpler and for Shabbos I'll get something a little more interesting like a sweater with a rufle or rinestones.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics