Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Soo disappointing, Concert Vent
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
  Milk  

Post Today at 4:52 am
amother Green wrote:
That's entirely not what I said. But I'll spell it out:

At a BY-standards concert, that people are paying a premium for, they don't want to see non-jewish style dancing. Whether the professional dancers hired from some random company have Jewish heritage is irrelevant. It doesn't make the dancing better.

And if they want to be more inclusive, and they want to have this kind of dancing to cater to all Jews, great. Beautiful. (Sincerely!) But please advertise that that will be the style so people can make informed decisions. Respect goes both ways.

Eta, the poster very mildly wondered why there were not Jewish dancers. Yes, I suppose she could have said "not Jewish or maybe just not yet observant dancers". And maybe she even should have said "why was the dancing more secular in style that this singer and her audience usually are known for". But to start accusing and making a big deal that MAYBE some of these irreligious dancers were Jewish by birth is missing her point grossly.
if u saw her music vids before and r aware of her style then u would know and be familiar with the dancing beforehand

amother
Peony  

Post Today at 5:24 am
amother Milk wrote:
if u saw her music vids before and r aware of her style then u would know and be familiar with the dancing beforehand

That’s what I’m confused about here, it’s not like this concert was some kind of beat and switch. Anybody who feels style of dress and dance is something to shelter their children from should do their homework beforehand and know exactly what they are paying for. This dancing is on her videos too. (And I think it’s fine, I understand I guess people who don’t, but they need to own responsibility and not blame the show.)

Seriously people, there was a thread on this very site about her music video not too long ago. If you really cared as much as you are claiming to on this thread, you would realize that it is your responsibility to research.

For what it’s worth, I highly disagree that Bracha Caters to a specific group of girls. If people will step out of their daled amos, They will learn that the BY World is a huge spectrum, depending on where they live. Bracha caters to FRUM GIRLS. Who said she caters to Monsey or Lakewood or Boro Park BY? Baltimore BY, chicago BY, Cleveland, Florida, Queens, most of those cities would have no problem with her OR her dancers.

And I’m not sure why you think that she is also not catering to the just plain frum girls.

This presumption of her target audience is really weird.

But seriously, if you do want to shelter your girls from the kind of dancing that you are upset about, the responsibility is yours to know what you are participating in before you do it just like anything else in the world.

amother
  Darkblue  

Post Today at 5:30 am
You do know many can hear her songs on Jewish platforms and not have internet to see her videos? You also know some people just went because it was a women concert and weren’t familiar with her style and assumed it would be eidel like other women concerts?

amother
  Milk  

Post Today at 5:34 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
You do know many can hear her songs on Jewish platforms and not have internet to see her videos? You also know some people just went because it was a women concert and weren’t familiar with her style and assumed it would be eidel like other women concerts?

In this day and age assume that all singers come out with videos and research somehow beforehand to make sure it is to your standards. There are many frum women singers just like many male frum singers that are different types that cater to different groups

amother
  Milk  

Post Today at 5:35 am
amother Darkblue wrote:

And also I would think that if you heard her latest song which came out before the concert it would not be to your standards simply because the word Zion is in it

amother
Oxfordblue  

Post Today at 5:39 am
amother Milk wrote:
And also I would think that if you heard her latest song which came out before the concert it would not be to your standards simply because the word Zion is in it

Huh? What's wrong with that word?

amother
  Milk  

Post Today at 5:42 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Huh? What's wrong with that word?

It just goes with the vibe. It was a bob Marley song. Is that up to your standards? just curious.
You see how nuanced this is. Some ppl are sensitive to music more than dance and some are more sensitive to dance more than music. You can't bash everything. But like I said there are many performers in the frum world catering to different groups. Just like male performers so pls research beforehand

amother
  Darkblue

Post Today at 5:43 am
amother Milk wrote:

Umm what a weird conclusion lol. No using the word Zion which is a perfectly fine word and doesn’t mean you are now a Zionist, doesn’t mean you have certain type of dancers at the show.

amother
  Milk  

Post Today at 5:44 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Umm what a weird conclusion lol. No using the word Zion which is a perfectly fine word and doesn’t mean you are now a Zionist, doesn’t mean you have certain type of dancers at the show.

You must be super sheltered then I understand which is not a bad thing but just do your research

amother
  Oxfordblue  

Post Today at 5:47 am
amother Milk wrote:
It just goes with the vibe. It was a bob Marley song. Is that up to your standards? just curious.
You see how nuanced this is. Some ppl are sensitive to music more than dance and some are more sensitive to dance more than music. You can't bash everything. But like I said there are many performers in the frum world catering to different groups. Just like male performers so pls research beforehand

Can you please link Bob Marley song?

amother
  Peony

Post Today at 5:48 am
amother Darkblue wrote:

Is there any other area of yiddishkeit in which you rely on an assumption?

Do you assume The men’s suit you bought on sale at Burlington is shatnez free Because it looks like it might be?

Do you assume that a restaurant is kosher even if it has no hechsher Because the owners look reliable?

Of course, not! You research before you do anything, no assumptions.

I’m still baffled at the entitlement that Bracha caters to a specific subset of “by girl”.

amother
  Milk

Post Today at 5:50 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Can you please link Bob Marley song?

https://youtu.be/sr5qIScw_VQ?s.....Hdv52

Also it's written in her description of her video

amother
  Oxfordblue

Post Today at 5:59 am
amother Milk wrote:
https://youtu.be/sr5qIScw_VQ?si=Q02LuUBYi41Hdv52

Also it's written in her description of her video

Thanks

amother
Jean

Post Today at 6:05 am
I’m trying to see videos of the concert to see what “non Jewish dancing” looks like lol

fmt4  

Post Today at 6:11 am
amother Jean wrote:
I’m trying to see videos of the concert to see what “non Jewish dancing” looks like lol

I’m assuming it’s the same as in the music video.
Non Jewish dancing means dancing that is actually good lol.

fmt4  

Post Today at 6:12 am
amother Peony wrote:
Is there any other area of yiddishkeit in which you rely on an assumption?

Do you assume The men’s suit you bought on sale at Burlington is shatnez free Because it looks like it might be?

Do you assume that a restaurant is kosher even if it has no hechsher Because the owners look reliable?

Of course, not! You research before you do anything, no assumptions.

I’m still baffled at the entitlement that Bracha caters to a specific subset of “by girl”.

It’s also the assumption that anyone other that that specific BY girl is basically “not Jewish.” People really do live under rocks.

fmt4  

Post Today at 6:17 am
The music video lists the dancers’ names, which are probably the same ones who were at the concert:
Dancers: Maayan Or, Mai Azran, Hen Lahav, Danit Arama.

So definitely “Jewish by birth” as posters on here would say. I’m assuming they were also wearing the super tznius outfits that are in the videos? Lots of layers which probably weren’t that easy to dance in.
But they are moving their bodies with talent and precision for an all women crowd rather than twirling or swaying with no rhythm like most BY school plays, so they’re not Jewish. 🙄 if you wanted BY style, then stick to BY school plays.

amother
  Mintcream  

Post Today at 6:38 am
fmt4 wrote:

You are really coming across as a jew hating on other jews. An anti Semitic jew.

watergirl  

Post Today at 6:38 am
amother Green wrote:

R' Yisrael Salanter is said to have said that people should be extra careful when doing kiruv because of they're not careful "the broom that sweeps can get dirty". My girls are young and impressionable and trust me when I say something is or isn't for us. They don't need to see that at this concert.

As a baalas teshuva, I REALLY would like to see the source of him saying this. I want to believe he is misquoted. If you can point me to the source, I would appreciate it. I googled and got nothing.

I'm thinking back to the families who hosted my friends and I when we were NCSYers and while I cringe at memories of myself, I am forever grateful that my hosts did not worry about any dirt when I sat at their shabbos tables.

As a side note, I was a guest at the table of one of the heads of a chassidish court when I was in 8th grade. At first, our NCSY advisor had the girls go to a back room. The rebbe himself called for us to join him at his table and had ME sit directly across from him. I will never forget that moment.

amother
  Thistle

Post Today at 6:42 am
fmt4 wrote:

So only non Jews can dance? If it’s Jewish dancing then it’s not good? Wow I really can’t believe what I’m reading. Talk about a self hating Jew Rolling Eyes
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts