Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What Flatbush school does your dd go to?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

What Flatbush school does your dd go to?
B.Y.A.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mesores  
 25%  [ 2 ]
Prospect Park  
 50%  [ 4 ]
Lev Bais Yaakov  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bnos Yisroel  
 25%  [ 2 ]
Y.O.B  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

chestnut  

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 10:41 am
thanks a lot for the offer.
I'm planning on applying only the next year, so I still have time to check them both out (from my posts you might think my daughter needs the school right now and is up to high school Smile my head is spinning from all the thinking and talking to people LOL )

brooklyn  

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:08 am
faigie wrote:
ok im going to reiterate.
shulamith is NOT a BY school. it is a MO machmir school.
the girls will reflect that, and for some people who are of the BY genre we are too MO for them.
the school is exactly like prospect was in the late 70s early 80s. the families in shulamith are the ones that did not go far to the right, when most everyone else was veering more to the right.
in comparison, we may seem less frum to you....but to label a person SLUT for being MO..........what can I say, it isnt healthy to pass judgment, ---because it usually vomits right back up on you.
Yes the hs girls speak to boys. thats the way we were raised. thats how I raise my kids. thats YU . thats what we are. That was what your parents probably did back in the 70s and 80s. we still think that it is normal.
---interestingly enough, we also have incredible achdut in our school. I believe it comes from learning tolerance for people around you.
many schools claim to have achdut, but in reality there is a snobby eschatology. our graduates actually miss our hs after they are gone.
do we have our problem kids? sure. show me a school in this day and age that doesnt.
such is the matzav of the world today in general.
----take all of that, add it to what arita said, and youll have a good picture of what shulamith is about
some of the parents wear hats/tichels, some wear shaitluch. some are black hat, some are sruggie kipot. we are altogether. we also are the only MO machmir zionistic school in brooklyn, with an excellent education.
I personally think we are offer one impressive package

Yes Yes Thumbs Up Thumbs Up I agree with you 100%. That is why I send my daughter to Shulamith. Would not consider any place else.

brooklyn  

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:10 am
I only wish there was a boys Yeshiva like Shulamith. Derech Hatorah I believe was very much like that but I hear they are turning more black hat, I could be wrong though.

madys

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:47 am
brooklyn wrote:
I only wish there was a boys Yeshiva like Shulamith.

Me too!!! Soon enough I need to find a school for my son - he will start in HANC (Hebrew Accademy of Nassau County) for preschool, but I don't know about elementary yet....

creativemommyto3

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 11:47 am
brooklyn wrote:
faigie wrote:
ok im going to reiterate.
shulamith is NOT a BY school. it is a MO machmir school.
the girls will reflect that, and for some people who are of the BY genre we are too MO for them.
the school is exactly like prospect was in the late 70s early 80s. the families in shulamith are the ones that did not go far to the right, when most everyone else was veering more to the right.
in comparison, we may seem less frum to you....but to label a person SLUT for being MO..........what can I say, it isnt healthy to pass judgment, ---because it usually vomits right back up on you.
Yes the hs girls speak to boys. thats the way we were raised. thats how I raise my kids. thats YU . thats what we are. That was what your parents probably did back in the 70s and 80s. we still think that it is normal.
---interestingly enough, we also have incredible achdut in our school. I believe it comes from learning tolerance for people around you.
many schools claim to have achdut, but in reality there is a snobby eschatology. our graduates actually miss our hs after they are gone.
do we have our problem kids? sure. show me a school in this day and age that doesnt.
such is the matzav of the world today in general.
----take all of that, add it to what arita said, and youll have a good picture of what shulamith is about
some of the parents wear hats/tichels, some wear shaitluch. some are black hat, some are sruggie kipot. we are altogether. we also are the only MO machmir zionistic school in brooklyn, with an excellent education.
I personally think we are offer one impressive package

Yes Yes Thumbs Up Thumbs Up I agree with you 100%. That is why I send my daughter to Shulamith. Would not consider any place else.

The girls do talk to boys but the school was never happy about it though.

chestnut  

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 12:06 pm
sorry for the question, but: do the girls just talk to the boys as opposed to yeshivishe circles where a girl wouldn't dare to ask a boy what time it is or smth like that; or do they hang out together/have boyfriends?

if it's the latter, how common is it?

faigie  

Post Fri, Aug 17 2007, 5:56 pm
good question.
in a by if the girl is caught talking to a boy, they throw them out. many girls still do talk to boys, but they are running a huge risk.
in shulamith if they are found talking to boys, they are spoken to, ( in fact they even have assemblies where they are taught that boyfriends are , for the time being, not a good idea) but they arent thrown out of school if they speak to boys. there are some arrangements in hs where they do get to debate boys schools in their debate team, its all very supervised.
PS- we win.

Mrs.Norris

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 12:36 am
amother wrote:
Her mother doesn't cover her hair and will sometimes wear short sleeves and too-open necks. Has a TV.

so what? When I was in school one of the most amazing girls I knew had a mother that fits that description (but maybe not the too open neck, I have no idea what that is) but she raised a family of children that all had the most amazing ahavas yisrael and yiras shamayim. I don't think there was a girl in my class that dressed more tzniut or acted in a better manner than the girl who had this mother.

As for all the judgmental posts in this thread, it's quite disgusting.
I went to a Modern Orthodox school which was amazing because of the fact that it accepted girls from across the spectrum (the only rules were the families have to be shomer shabbat and shomer kashrut) and I got to be friendly with so many types of girls and we all got along, it didn't matter to us that so and so wore trousers outside school or that someone else's mother didn't cover her hair. We learned not to judge anyone and had great respect for every kind of Jew. I just think it's a shame that some of you are too busy thinking about how your neighbour wears a sleeveless top when she steps outside her front door ...

amother  

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 12:43 am
Quote:
go to bars and dance clubs which I've seen quite frequently.

So have you been to one recently??
Rolling Laughter

red sea  

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 1:00 am
chestnut wrote:
I understand.
what about this
Quote:
is Shulamith similar in this regard? is the majority of the kids from rich families? does everyone "have" to have the latest style or you are looked down upon?

any insight?

btw, does anyone here sends her daughter to Lev BY? or someone's sister/cousing/neighbor does? someone teachers there?

what about Bnos Yisroel (I think it's called, around Kings Highway)?

Ok, I'm going to try to help you here. First let me say that all the schools youre considering have the wealthy crowd component, not one more than the other.
And to totally generalize-
If I had to order them from the most MO to the most yeshivish of the mentioned schools it would go like this;

Shulamith
PPY
Lev BY
Bnos Yisroel

brooklyn

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:03 am
faigie wrote:
good question.
in a by if the girl is caught talking to a boy, they throw them out. many girls still do talk to boys, but they are running a huge risk.
in shulamith if they are found talking to boys, they are spoken to, ( in fact they even have assemblies where they are taught that boyfriends are , for the time being, not a good idea) but they arent thrown out of school if they speak to boys. there are some arrangements in hs where they do get to debate boys schools in their debate team, its all very supervised.
PS- we win.

Isn't that the better approach? Just throwing a girl out is not helping them at all. If they are thrown out then they will have to find a new school to accept them. Chances are it will not be a good one and there will be bad kids there who will have a detrimental influence on your child. By talking to them and teaching them right from wrong they are doing what a school is supposed to do, TEACH.

chestnut  

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 10:42 pm
thanks, faigie and red sea.

red sea wrote:
First let me say that all the schools youre considering have the wealthy crowd component, not one more than the other.

oh, my. this is the price to pay for more or less good education.
now, the next question is: there are rich and rich. meaning, is it in your face? if you don't have A shoes, B coat and C school bag, you are "neboch"/not in our circle?

faigie  

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 9:27 am
not like that in my kids class.

crbc

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 10:43 am
My ds is in YDH and my dd is in PPY. We love both, so far any way. But as for this discussion all I have to say is "Oh, please!" The stuff I heard from people about how horrible, modern, not up to my standards schools are, I think it is just something that comes with the territory. I always wonder, with all problems other schools are having, would not it be better if they focus on their own issues, rather that criticize more modern schools they never even visited. Or may be they are just jealous ? LOL YDH - is great, all regents, , strong techers, willing to help if students are behind, a lot of ahdus, a lot of working on midos ( a very modern concept Tongue Out ), all citywide tests, individual attention ect. PPY so far we are only in preschool , but they have been amasing , preschool director is awesome, teachers are very good, gread academics, stress on midos, really nice programs , like Brain Gym - exercise, Hebrew immersion program , computers, learning centers, midos assemblies- made like puppet theater, very nice over all. If we would not go to PPY, Shulamith would have been our next choice. I think, at the end of the day, everyone has to decide for themselves what they are looking for in a school. And definately do their homework, speak with other parents IRL LOL , visit school, etc. I was once told by someone that as a BT I should have gone with the most frummest school that willtake my kids. And we could have gone to yiddish speaking cheder and BP girls school. We are black hat, sheitel covering, stockings always, no TV, used to live in Lakewood- kind of family. SO??? I do not want to care that we have internet, (both dh and I use for work), that we show cartoons and Disney movies to kids on computer, that dh doesn't wear white shirts all week long (Shabbos only), that I , actually want my kids to go to college Idea . So I am very grateful to have a school that cares more about my son's learning than about which color shirt dh wears. I like mixed parent body, because I think that prepares my son for the outside world. There are kids with kipa sruga , and he does not think it is better or worse than his velvet kipa , he just knows it is different. he doesn't wear this, his friend doesn't wear that, and they both had great designs in preschool. I have to go becase current and future PPY students are attacking me but IMHO both YDH and PPY are great. As for YDH getting more black hat, could be, 2 new principles both elem and H.S. are definatelly black hat , so maybe some change to come, but I have not felt anything so far.

red sea

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 11:53 am
chestnut wrote:
thanks, faigie and red sea.

red sea wrote:
First let me say that all the schools youre considering have the wealthy crowd component, not one more than the other.

oh, my. this is the price to pay for more or less good education.
now, the next question is: there are rich and rich. meaning, is it in your face? if you don't have A shoes, B coat and C school bag, you are "neboch"/not in our circle?

I think its the luck of the draw, some classes have a lot of those kids, some just a few and some none, I wouldn't be able to generalize for which school has the most of this type more than others.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 12:14 pm
"I just think it's a shame that some of you are too busy thinking about how your neighbour wears a sleeveless top when she steps outside her front door ..."

I'm assuming this refers to my comment about the tank top. You're right, I should have phrased my concerns differently. I'm not sure what this woman's hashkafos are in general. growing up, I had friends who's parents had no problems going mixed swimming, not covering hair, wearing short sleeves, pants, etc. I had no problem with this. I suppose my previous post was venting about her-- her kids are holy terrors and drive me crazy most of the time. but you're right, I wouldn't decide against a school for my child just because I saw a parent leave the house dressed in a manner I consider inappropriate. my point was that she is the only point of reference I have with ppy right now, and if she says it's perfect for her hashkafas, I don't know what to think those hashkafas are.

sorry for the inclear message there.

chestnut  

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 10:34 am
I saw an ad about this new school, that will open next school year in Flatbush (nursery and kindergarten).

Anyone heard about it? Anyone knows any info on what kind of school it's planning on being?

Would you put your kid in a completely new school?

faigie

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 12:09 pm
is it possibly balkanys?

amother  

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 12:35 pm
I dont know anything about the school, but the person opening it, mrs. kraitenberg, was a teacher in the elementary school I went to, and she is an incredible person and educator!

cindy324  

Post Tue, Nov 06 2007, 1:50 pm
Faigie, to answer your question, Rabbi Balkany's school(Bais Yakov of Brooklyn) is still in Boro Park, it just relocated to 13th ave and 37th street, and it is NOT closing. I know this because my kids are students there. BTW, they have an amazing preschool program, my 3 year old loves it. It's a small school but I personally would not have it any other way. The personal attention they give the kids is literally incomparable.

Mrs. Kraitenberg, who is the english principal of that school now, will be moving on to be the head and director of Bais Yakov of Midwood, opening sept '08. As far as the school, it will be your typical Bais Yakov school, and with Mrs. Kraitenberg leading it, it can only get better. SHe's very dedicated and I'm speaking from experience when I say that she works very closely with students and parents to ensure a successful school year both educationally and socially, and Bais Yakov of Brooklyn's loss, will most definitely be BY of MIdwood's gain .
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics