Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What Flatbush school does your dd go to?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

What Flatbush school does your dd go to?
B.Y.A.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mesores  
 25%  [ 2 ]
Prospect Park  
 50%  [ 4 ]
Lev Bais Yaakov  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bnos Yisroel  
 25%  [ 2 ]
Y.O.B  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

timeout  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 5:24 pm
To the Amother who posted anonymously......

You would be surprised to know that many (I'm not exagerating) parents who send there children to regular Bais Yaakov's and even chassidishe schools and seem to dress appropriately I.e. Turban on there head and seemed stockings to the public and no TV according to everyone, actually have a TV in there home in hiding places or go to movies regularly go to bars and dance clubs especially the men which I've seen quite frequently.

When you are talking about the standard of tznius at least the woman and girls in Shulamith and I know it's not all parents who dress that way at least they are honest.

Sorry about the rambling but I feel very strongly about this!

Motek

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 6:42 pm
timeout wrote:
... actually have a TV in there home in hiding places or go to movies regularly go to bars and dance clubs especially the men which I've seen quite frequently.

How many such women and men have confided their secrets to you?

Quote:
When you are talking about the standard of tznius at least the woman and girls in Shulamith and I know it's not all parents who dress that way at least they are honest.

I don't quite get that. You're saying that their way of not following Shulchan Aruch is honest? Scratching Head

timeout

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 9:23 am
Regarding how many people have confided it's just something I've seen in peoples homes (friends, family) and what people have told me. Since I'm still considered an out of towner where in my community the only person who doesn't own a TV is the Rabbi and Rebbetzin people are not usually hiding things in front of me since I see nothing wrong with it and I wouldn't go around telling everyone in out neighborhood what goes on in in other peoples houses.

Regarding the lying I must not have been clear I was trying to bring out that at least with the mother and daughter in question from Shulamith, that they were being honest and open about who they were.

brooklyn  

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 9:24 am
Shulamith teaches and requires their students to dress in a tzniut manner. Shulamith is one of the few frum yeshivot that has a diverse group of people attending. Some are frumer than others. Some mothers cover their hair, some do not. There are american families, Israeli families, Russian families and others as well. What they all have in common is that they all want a good Jewish education for their children, and that is what they get at Shulamith. If you are so worried and want a school where everyone is exactly the same, then I agree that shulamith is not for you, try a more Chasiddish yeshiva.

faigie  

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 1:36 pm
brooklyn, id like to add to what you said please
shulamith is diverse, always was in fact. that was one thing that I loved about it as a kid. we all learned together, and learned to respect eachother as well.
no finger pointing, no im better then you garbage.
it taught ACHDUT and AHAVAS YISRAEL.
think about it. whats the big deal of loving your neighbor if she is exactly like you? whats the trick in that?
now if your neighbor is somewhat different then you, that is truley learning ahavas yisrael.
that plus zionism plus a good education? cant beat it with a stick.

brooklyn  

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 1:38 pm
I agree with you, that is why I send my daughter there.

chestnut  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 1:34 pm
is anyone here can say something about Prospect Park and BYA?

what type of people send their kids there? are the girls clique-ish? is going to college a given? do they insist on girls marrying learners or are open about it? how much is the tuition (and btw, what is tuition in Shulamith, besides nursery?)

re: shulamith- I understand that it's diverse, and I see what one end of the range looks like (mothers not covering their hair, short sleeves, etc) what is the other end of the range?

oh, and what type of school is Lev BY?

madys  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 1:53 pm
My dd's also go to the LI Shulamith, and we are absolutely thrilled with the education, and not just the formal classroom education, (which is excellent), they also learn about middos and loshon hara.

Faige, if your cousin is Mrs. Yarmack, she is an absolutly amazing person, you are lucky to have her in your family.

To the amother: You cannot judge an entire school based on what one 9 year old girl is wearing. The school should not be police officers as to what families do on their own time. Everyone should be responsible enough to follow halacha as they know how. People are on different levels at different times in their lives, maybe now is not the time for tzinus in the family you mentioned, but maybe in a year or two, they will come around, and if they don't, that's fine with me.

mummiedearest  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 2:08 pm
my mom teaches in shulamith and says she is appalled by the way some of the girls act and dress. they try to teach the kids, but I get the feeling that much of the staff does not understand the girls and has a hard time teaching tzniut as a result. this is not a reflection on ALL of the girls, many of them act appropriately. I have heard some students say things like "shut up" to an assistant there, though.

another thing about shulamith-- they allow the kids to listen to ipods while taking tests. many of these kids listen to inappropriate music at insane volumes. I have a cousin who goes there and knows all the new hip hop songs because she hears them when her friends listen to their ipods.

as for prospect, I went there and thought it was good, but the administration has changed in the elementary school since I was there. most of the "old" crowd has headed for b.y. drav meir. I don't hear such great things about the girls in the elementary or high school anymore. I know one woman who sends her 6 yr old there and says she feels it fits into her hashkafas perfectly. I have seen this woman leave her house in a tank top, though, so I'm not sure what her hashkafas are. certainly, she is only one parent in the whole parent body, but I have heard that people were switching to drav meir because they don't like the admin in prospect these days. academically, prospect was always good, but now they save their teaching positions for their recent alumnae straight from sem. many of my friends teach/taught there recently, and I can definitely say these are fine, upstanding, good teachers who do their best, but the policy also means that you won't know your daughter will have a certain teacher before they have them. a teacher who teaches as a career rather than as a transition between sem and a bachelor's is easier to deal with and feel comfortable with.

creativemommyto3  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 2:22 pm
I went to first and second grade and graduated from shulamith high school. There is a mixed group in shulamith but it is a frum school with strict adherence to halacha. They are zionist in a normal way. The limudei kodesh teachers are for the most part ultra orthodox . They were quite inspiring. They encourage the girls to be professional if they so choose b/c to them you can be a frum woman and still have a profession. Eventhough at this part of my life I wouldn't send there, they are still the best option for a girl from a modern orthodox home.

I still hate that when ppl hear the word shulamith , they think the word s-l-u-t or worse. They are strict about girls who wear pants= they get reprimanded or worse. I am a frum woman today b/c of them and the sems that I went to afterwards. Don't any of you ever say a bad word about them just b/c of some ppl who go there.

faigie  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 2:47 pm
"Faige, if your cousin is Mrs. Yarmack, she is an absolutly amazing person, you are lucky to have her in your family. "
---yup, youre right, she is amazing.!! Smile
( and my other cousin is now an assistent principal in the hs)
mommydearest, I think I can hear the voice of one teacher who teaches in the hs in your post LOL. I think imight know who your mom is, youre very much like her.( and if this is her, she is friends with my mom!)
shulamith is dati leumi. thats what it is. yes that may be not frum enough for some, but its perfect for me. bh there are enough schools for all kinds of yidden.

faigie  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 2:51 pm
id just like to add something..........
do you know that way back when, in the late 70s early 80s girls in prospect park hs wore pants and some went to co-ed camps. most of them listened to radio too.............
shulamith today is exactly like prospect was back then. very middle of the road mizrachi type , YU families.

chestnut  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 3:11 pm
thanks to everyone, keep it coming. I can't seem to choose the school for my daughter (I still have time, though).

could someone please spell out fro me what kind of families send their kids to shulamis? I realize, it's diverse, but I need something concrete - what does the school teach? are pants for girls allowed? short sleeves? no socks? all families, I assume, are shomer shabbos/kashrus, the difference is only in appearance/covering hair? so, while there are some who don't cover their hair at all, there will be others who do so completely, correct? those who don't go with legs uncovered?

very important question - is the majority of kids from wealthy families? are they snobby?

see, saying that Shulamith is for MO is like saying nothing at all to me. MO is a very-very broad term, ranging from MO liberal to MO machmir and the line between the latter and yeshivishe liberal is too fine, if you ask me.

btw, I'm talking about Shulamith is Flatbush, not LI.

mummiedearest - I'm very surprised to hear about a PP mother in a tank. I was under impression that PP is a BY school... unless there was a skin-colored long-sleeved t-shirt underneath that tank LOL there were a few times I thought a woman wore nothing underneath, and, when looked closer, it was this skin-colored t-shirt Very Happy

Last edited by chestnut on Wed, Aug 15 2007, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

creativemommyto3  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 3:15 pm
I think it's MO machmir . The teachers in the highschool are very much machmir, at least when I was there. Rabbi Ginsburg who taught chumash is now the principal of maalot new york and he is no way dati leumi. Yet, Rabbi Lieberman is YU type, yet I would say he is strict with halacha. Although, I saw him wear black jean pants near his neighborhood.

faigie  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 4:25 pm
why dont you go visit the school and speak to the principals?
id also call it MO machmir for the most part.
some kids do wear pants, but the vast majority dont. id also say the vast majority would wear sandles with no socks out of school. plenty of the kids go to camp chedvah, or sternberg.
no it isnt snotty. just the opposite in the hs for sure....but I think also, that would depend on the mazal of what class youve got.
rb leiberman is AMAZING!!! parents love him. reb oratz from middle school is also great.

creativemommyto3  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 4:31 pm
faigie wrote:
why dont you go visit the school and speak to the principals?
id also call it MO machmir for the most part.
some kids do wear pants, but the vast majority dont. id also say the vast majority would wear sandles with no socks out of school. plenty of the kids go to camp chedvah, or sternberg.
no it isnt snotty. just the opposite in the hs for sure....but I think also, that would depend on the mazal of what class youve got.
rb leiberman is AMAZING!!! parents love him. reb oratz from middle school is also great.

You should know that Rabbi leiberman isn't any less of a rabbi for wearing those pants, he has a right to relax. He is the best b/c of the way he really related to us girls. Very Happy Dr. katz was just here in israel, it's a shame I couldnt' see her. I had to sign papers on my home and it turns out I got fever too. Sad I am so in the mood to call them now.

chestnut  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 4:34 pm
but what's the school's offical policy - pants are OK? in school girls have to wear socks?

what would I even ask the principals?

believe it or not, my daughter is only up to pre-school now (I know, I made it sound like she is about to start HS Smile )

creativemommyto3  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 4:51 pm
as far as I know they do not allow pants, at least for h.s. I assume it's the same for the younger ones too.

faigie  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 5:05 pm
socks MUST be worn in school and the kids can wear sneakers.

creativemommyto3  

Post Wed, Aug 15 2007, 5:26 pm
if you are in highschool, your shirts must be tucked in . I miss being in highschool..
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics