Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Do you really think Hashem wants us to wear lacetops?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
  NeonBlue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:00 am
I also don't understand why people keep on saying that a wig is more glamorous then hair.
On a regular day I wear a pony wig. That is exactly how I would wear my hair.
To more formal weekday occations I have a wig that is simple pretty and also mimicks the way I would wear my hair.
For weddings and shabbos I have a lace top wig with curls and again that is how I would do my hair when aiming to be fancy.
If I didn't cover my hair you bet I would make sure it was cut, styled and colored well. I wouldn't walk around with ratty limp oily hair.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:00 am
There's honestly so much confusion and misinformation about hair covering...it seems like, just do you. A woman covering her hair never forgets she's covering it. Relax. We're all doing our best

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:01 am
I think certain ppl Hashem would be thrilled if they wore a lacetop but other ppl for them it would be a lower level then they are capable of.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:19 am
Sometimes I want to wear a certain look that’s not wiggy when I am not in my area
so as not to attract any antisemitism remarks

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:19 am
amother Bisque wrote:
The point of kisoi harosh is not to look ugly.
It’s not an ugly contest that whoever looks the least pretty did the mitzva the best.

I like this.
At the same time it's not a mitzva to sport a very eye catching elaborate kisui rosh.

amother
Begonia  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:22 am
Yes. Otherwise he would have said what type of coverings aren't allowed. I think this a holier than thou question and attitude. People like to feel good about themselves by putting others down and making more restrictions on themselves.

amother
Salmon  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Do you really think Hashem wants us to cover our hair with lace top wigs that are many times more attractive to men then our own hair and many times not obvious at all that it’s a wig?

I don’t know what Hashem wants.

But I definitely know what he doesn’t want- a women to post a thread here in the three weeks putting down and judging other women.. most likely just to make herself feel better than everyone else.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:27 am
Ruchi wrote:
How can Hashem be happy if the wig actually defeats the very purpose it was intended for?
I don't wear a lace top but as it is , I feel and my moral conscience tells me that my lovely human hair wig is not the ideal thing.
Covering one human hair with another human hair? It doesn't sound right.
Wigs were a modern invention and the original ones looked like straw. Back then it was a big deal to wear the straw looking wig. But now, it's descended into something that can be even more beautiful and luscious looking, than ones own hair.
There's no two ways about it, there's been a decline and I come guilty as charged. I wish I'd have tne courage and strength to change.

These are your feelings. Please don't confuse them with halacha or pretend we all have to confuse your feelings with halacha.

amother
RosePink  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:34 am
If you are worried about people not realizing it's a wig: news flash, they can tell. Lace tops are not magic. No ones hair looks like a wig. Hollywood uses them and african/African Americans use them. Do they look good on everyone? No. Are they more delicate? Yes. Would I wear one? Probably not. But I have super thick hair and need a sturdier wig. Do I have a problem with people wearing them and seeing them hair through it? A little. But I don't enjoy analyzing other people's attire. Some people wear short skirts or skirts with slits. I dont usually. Stick to your own choices.

kenz

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:40 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I like this.
At the same time it's not a mitzva to sport a very eye catching elaborate kisui rosh.

This can easily apply to those beautiful mitpachot/kerchiefs/tichels worn by many sefardi and other women as well. Some of those are very tall and extremely eye-catching. Would you say the same to them? Should they only wear berets?

SuperWify  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:42 am
Wow. Didn’t realize there were Neviem in our generation. (Neviot in this case, actually.)

Op & Ruchi, I’m also looking to make a quick 2 mil, 1 mil ok too. Please direct me the to correct source. Thanks 🙏

amother
  Wandflower  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:49 am
amother Salmon wrote:
I don’t know what Hashem wants.

But I definitely know what he doesn’t want- a women to post a thread here in the three weeks putting down and judging other women.. most likely just to make herself feel better than everyone else.

Who says she's judging? Maybe the op feels hashem doesn't want lacetops and is letting us all know. It's not a crazy thought to say this.

amother
  Topaz

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:49 am
amother Wandflower wrote:
Sefarim written thousands of years after the torah was given often have every opinion.

I don't believe the torah ever mentions this concept of according to your own madraiga. The torah is our guide. If that what the torah wanted it would have said so, no?

The michtav M'eliyahu was written thousands of years after the torah. What happened during all those years? How does someone say 3000+ years later that this is what the torah meant?

??? I don't understand your question.

Michtav MeEliyahu has a nice EXPLANATION - not a chiddush - about madreiga and bechira. He is explaining something that has always existed. I'm not sure why you think he just made up the idea. Aside from which, I'm pretty sure the gemara mentions different madreigos and so on.

amother
  Wandflower  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:51 am
SuperWify wrote:
Wow. Didn’t realize there were Neviem in our generation. (Neviot in this case, actually.)

Op & Ruchi, I’m also looking to make a quick 2 mil, 1 mil ok too. Please direct me the to correct source. Thanks 🙏

Why does one need to be a navi to suggest that it seems a little odd to cover your hair with hair that is even more glamorous and leaves the original hair exposed? This requires a navi?

amother
  Salmon

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:08 am
Who says she's judging? Maybe the op feels hashem doesn't want lacetops and is letting us all know. It's not a crazy thought to say this.

Don’t think she has had a conversation with Him. And if she thinks she has had one, she is suffering from psychosis.

amother
  Begonia  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:08 am
Why does one need to be a navi to suggest that it seems a little odd to cover your hair with hair that is even more glamorous and leaves the original hair exposed? This requires a navi?

Where does it say the point of covering your hair is to look less glamorous?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:09 am
Yes I do

amother
Mintgreen  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:12 am
The lace top technically fulfills the mitzvah of covering. I think the issue is more nuanced and anyone who is claiming she don’t understand the potential issues of many of our wigs, is not really being honest with herself.
It’s not only the wigs, it includes the whole glam look, tight clothing, underwear lines showing, chewing and cracking gum, loudly shrieking in public…. And other things that are not becoming women of royalty…
Don’t make OP think she’s crazy and that you have no idea what she’s talking about. I think that most of us know.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:14 am
In late 1949/early 1950 my grandparents got engaged. They had a yechidus/audience with the Lubavitcher Rebbe. My grandfather was the sole survivor of his family and the Rebbe showed him kiruv.

The Rebbe asked my Bubby if she would wear a human hair wig. She would be one of the first women in her community to cover her hair with a wig and it’ll inspire others to follow. Many weren’t covering at all then. When she said she would the Rebbe gave her $300 to buy a human hair wig and bentched her that she would live a long life.

In Chabad, our minhag is specifically to cover with a shaitel. It’s supposed to look nice so you wouldn’t feel embarrassed and remove it.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:14 am
Sefarim written thousands of years after the torah was given often have every opinion.

I don't believe the torah ever mentions this concept of according to your own madraiga. The torah is our guide. If that what the torah wanted it would have said so, no?

The michtav M'eliyahu was written thousands of years after the torah. What happened during all those years? How does someone say 3000+ years later that this is what the torah meant?

We are not karaites who believe that we only follow exactly what was written.
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels