Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Rant.. I’m in the beauty industry
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:29 pm
Does this no phone call rule apply around a person working on your appliance? A house cleaner? If not, why?

imaima

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:34 pm
The beauty salon that I frequent has recently emailed me a newsletter with a similar message. I absolutely agree!
Their arguments are that a beauty treatment is a moment of deep relaxation, connecting with yourself and rest, and the job of the beautician is to bring you there. It makes no sense and is counterproductive to be distracted by screens and phone calls during this time. Besides for the disrespect towards the beautician, it just defeats the purpose of the treatment and doesn’t align with the salon‘s values. In other words, they are not there to „do their job“ while the client takes care of business, they provide an experience that requires a certain level of commitment from the client.

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:35 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Does this no phone call rule apply around a person working on your appliance? A house cleaner? If not, why?
to me yes. I would leave the room to make a phone call. First they don’t need to listen to my business. Second it might be annoying to them and they need to concentrate on what they are doing.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:39 pm
amother Mint wrote:
It is treating her like a worker by not only ignoring her, but having a conversation with others as if she is not there. It's not acting like a mensh.

And yes, I get that everyone is very busy, but planning a work call to overlap an appointment is wrong. Calls happen. Sometimes there is necessity to use the phone a bit during an appointment, but to plan that time-nope, it's not right. The least a person can do is ask (when booking the appointment) if it's ok if she plans a work call/meeting for the time of the appointment.

I mean, she is a worker. But why would you assume workers get treated like that? Anyone doing work for you deserves to be treated with respect. Why are you equating treating someone like a worker with treating someone with disrespect?

It's rude to come into someone's place of work and shush them. If you need to urgently take a emetongnor make a call, ask of the person performing a service for you minds.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:40 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I’m wondering. Those of you that think this is acceptable, would you do it in any other setting? Dentist appointment? Ultrasound? Massage?

Many people do it when seeing a hcp. They are busy telling us all about their medical problems, then their cell rings and without even apologising they answer and start a conversation like I am not even there.
I now ask them to leave the room until they have finished whatever convo they need to have and call the next patient in. Some of them don't even get how rude it is.

If I would have my nails/hair etc done, treating the practitioner like a minion while I get on with my oh-so- important call is plain rude. If I would need to have such a meeting, I would first explain and check it is ok with the beauty practitioner and give a heartfelt apology for my rudeness.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:45 pm
Making a call is one thing. But it’s very rude for them to signal for you to be quiet - unless it’s an emergency and they’re apologetic about it.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:46 pm
So funny because I feel like this is so much more common the other way. I can't count how many times the lady doing laser/electrolysis/my nails/hair/makeup is on the phone while working on me. It makes me feel like two cents besides for being concerned that I'll lose out because her full attention is not on her job.

amother
  Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:48 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
And if your sheitelmacher or beautician would be speaking non-stop on the phone while she was doing her work, how would you feel?

I would ask her to please stop and concentrate on me. I don’t want to hear her problems , stories or gossip. But bh none of the sheitelmachers I have been to are like that. In fact if they have a phone call they will keep it short.

renslet

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:50 pm
You have given me lots of food for thought. I never thought of it like that. So I'm wondering, if I go for a manicure or pedicure with my friend and talk to her the whole time, is that considered rude. The beautician doesn't talk to me even when I'm alone so am I supposed to sit in quiet?
I do like to listen to shiurim or podcasts during massages or longer beauty sessions. I think I'll ask the practitioners if they are ok with it

amother
  DarkCyan

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 5:03 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I’m wondering. Those of you that think this is acceptable, would you do it in any other setting? Dentist appointment? Ultrasound? Massage?

Haha. Be on phone during dental work!

BaltoMom65

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:22 pm
It's very disrespectful! So sorry op!! Cell phones have made everyone more rude and stressed out!

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:25 am
OP I get you. It's rude.
I always feel weird when I get an important phone call during checkout at the supermarket.
When you're dealing one-on-one with another person you need to be present and give them your full attention.

heidi

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 1:32 pm
My manicurist does NOT talk. Not one word other than hello and what color do you want.
I am friendly. I can make conversation with anyone. I have tried. So has everyone I recommended her to. She has made it excruciatingly clear that she wants zero relationship- not even a cordial one. But she does my nails well. So I go and listen to a shiur on earphones. I have a friend that goes, sticks out her hands and puts her head on the table and goes to sleep.
I think that's the other extreme.
OP, I deal with people at work and at home. If I'm having my shaitel done it may be my only time for dealing with other things.
OP, maybe you should seek friendships somewhere else.

happyness

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 1:49 pm
I’m also thinking.

I totally get why it’s rude to be on the phone when getting your face or wig done.

But when I get a manicure I do chill and relax. Of course, I greet the manicurist pleasantly. Part of my relaxing includes either talking or reading on my phone. I never thought that was rude to the manicurist.

Snickers18

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 3:04 pm
I do not talk on my phone in public as a rule. I think it’s rude as well as an invasion of privacy. DH is also pretty makpid about it. Sometimes I have to call him at the grocery store to pick up one more item and if he’s anywhere near the checkout he hangs up quickly. He doesn’t want to be insensitive by talking on the phone while a human is checking him out- a human he can be exchanging pleasantries with and maybe even brightening their day.

I always chat with people who are working on me unless they’ve made it clear that they’re not interested. I’m genuinely interested in hearing about their lives.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 3:09 pm
I always ask permission first, if it’s ok, and they always say yes. But is that because they feel pressured? I hope not.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been on work type of calls while getting a Brazilian waxing. Trust me, I’d love to not multitask like that!!!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics