Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Modern Orthodox School that parents follow the hashkafa
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:26 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
halacha.

The kids from Teaneck would talk about SAR as a much more religiously lax school. Idk they'd send me texts on Shabbat and eat pizza from an oven that has just baked a pepperoni pizza moments before.

nylon

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:53 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
well you are not the majority of parents who send to SAR. it is overall an extremaly modern and liberal school where most people do not follow halacha.

This is offensive. Yes it leans more modern, and not all parents are fully observant but to say "most people do not follow halacha" is motzi shem ra.

To OP, most MO schools do not make the same level of demands regarding conduct outside of school. However there is some degree of self segregation. The more liberal families in Teaneck, for example, would not usually choose RYNJ. JEC tends a bit more RWMO, but it's a community school, so if a more liberal family lived in Elizabeth/Hillside, they would send there.

A few schools, such as Shulamith in the 5T, do have some explicit rules, e.g. no co-ed camps. I would say there is a little more definition, hashkafically, in the high schools.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 2:51 am
Yeshiva Sharei Tzion in the Highland Park area has both boys and girls schools.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:02 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
well you are not the majority of parents who send to SAR. it is overall an extremaly modern and liberal school where most people do not follow halacha.

What in the world is wrong with you? Why are you so filled with animosity? You don’t need to send there but why the LH and Motzi Shem Ra?

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:06 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
The kids from Teaneck would talk about SAR as a much more religiously lax school. Idk they'd send me texts on Shabbat and eat pizza from an oven that has just baked a pepperoni pizza moments before.

This is so not true. The kids in Teaneck have better middot than to speak like this.
I have lived in Teaneck for more than 20 years, have kids in different schools (chanech banav al pi darKo) and who have different social circles. I have never heard in person what I hear on this site from people who don’t live in Bergen County (or Riverdale), and don’t identify as MO.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:20 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
What in the world is wrong with you? Why are you so filled with animosity? You don’t need to send there but why the LH and Motzi Shem Ra?

im just speaking from my own experience if you have a different experience, shkoyach

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:18 am
Someone coming from a yeshivish place isn’t going to be comfortable with SAR where last I’ve heard there’s co-Ed gym classes and liberal minyanim and a LGBT club. If that derech works for you, then great. But the rest of us realize that OP is looking for RWMO which SAR definitely not.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:41 am
Ummmm sar Is not considered a regular modox school it’s on its own level
Women layning,wearing tfillin, lgbt clubs…
Ya sounds super frum!

Goldie613

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:51 am
I'm curious - is RWMO what we used to call modern yeshivish? Or is this something else? I feel like the terms are constantly changing!

OP, what are the most important factors for you in choosing a school? Are you looking for certain types of kids/teachers, in terms of the types of people your kids will interact with, are you looking for what derech the school encourages, or something else entirely?

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:11 am
Goldie613 wrote:
I'm curious - is RWMO what we used to call modern yeshivish? Or is this something else? I feel like the terms are constantly changing!

OP, what are the most important factors for you in choosing a school? Are you looking for certain types of kids/teachers, in terms of the types of people your kids will interact with, are you looking for what derech the school encourages, or something else entirely?

The difference between rwmo and modern yeshivish is what op is looking for. RWMO is b’shitta part of the modern world but very much in the confines of Halacha. It’s also called right wing YU. It’s Torah umaddah bshitta. It’s the people who get a good secular education and don’t have a TV/ watch movies/ still dress tznius, because they intentionally chose that path. It’s the men who are rabbi dr because they got a phd in whatever and smicha from riets. It’s not an easy line to ride, but you’re more likely to find it where you find riets and landers graduTes/ Rebbeim

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:23 am
And I am sticking to my guns. SAR is a religious school, as is the student body and families. There are so many false rumors, distortions, and frankly a fair amount of malice in these responses. I cannot vouch for the sending texts on Shabbos since my kids don't do that, but I can tell you that it's not the rule and it happens in many other places. I work with women from Yeshivish, Chassidish, and JPF families and there is a lot going on with both teens and adults. Pointing fingers is neither useful nor accurate.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:28 am
Goldie613 wrote:

An education where both Torah and knowledge are taken seriously and secular knowledge is not looked at as a boogeyman but rather a required part of Torah.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:29 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
The difference between rwmo and modern yeshivish is what op is looking for. RWMO is b’shitta part of the modern world but very much in the confines of Halacha. It’s also called right wing YU. It’s Torah umaddah bshitta. It’s the people who get a good secular education and don’t have a TV/ watch movies/ still dress tznius, because they intentionally chose that path. It’s the men who are rabbi dr because they got a phd in whatever and smicha from riets. It’s not an easy line to ride, but you’re more likely to find it where you find riets and landers graduTes/ Rebbeim

This

Goldie613

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:29 am

OK, so if that's what RWMO is, then what is modern yeshivish nowadays? Or is that term not really used anymore?

OP, I hope you find the schools your family needs!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:41 am
I’m thinking Shulamis in the 5 towns
I went there years ago and most families were RWMO/JPF/MO and Halacha observant to the schools level.
Could be that it changed though!

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:17 am
Goldie613 wrote:
OK, so if that's what RWMO is, then what is modern yeshivish nowadays? Or is that term not really used anymore?

OP, I hope you find the schools your family needs!

From what I understand, modern yeshivish is we dress the dress of yeshivish but watch movies at home and go mixed swimming on vacation. I don’t think it’s as popular as it once was though. It could also be used to mean yeshivish but goes to college, but that’s less common.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:37 am
amother OP wrote:
This

Based on this definition of RWMO, the biggest pockets of it I know are in Bergenfield NJ, areas of the 5 towns, and queens- but that’s very young only. I think there’s also pockets in Chicago, highland park nj, Passaic nj, and Boston. The problem you’re going to hit is that the RWMO community is not big enough to have exclusive schools , so they either share with MO or with Yeshivish (see discussions of RYNJ, YBH, JEC above). At the high school level it’s easier to find real RWMO (Naaleh and heichal Hatorah were made by the Bergenfield community for this segment).

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:53 am
From what I understand, modern yeshivish is we dress the dress of yeshivish but watch movies at home and go mixed swimming on vacation. I don’t think it’s as popular as it once was though. It could also be used to mean yeshivish but goes to college, but that’s less common.

I don’t think this is it.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:58 am
Based on this definition of RWMO, the biggest pockets of it I know are in Bergenfield NJ, areas of the 5 towns, and queens- but that’s very young only. I think there’s also pockets in Chicago, highland park nj, Passaic nj, and Boston. The problem you’re going to hit is that the RWMO community is not big enough to have exclusive schools , so they either share with MO or with Yeshivish (see discussions of RYNJ, YBH, JEC above). At the high school level it’s easier to find real RWMO (Naaleh and heichal Hatorah were made by the Bergenfield community for this segment).

Agreed. I would think some form of religious Zionism would be included in this definition of RWMO as well. Many of this type of people make aliyah so that makes the RWMO population even smaller.
While there are young people in Queens that are this hashkafa, the schools are yeshivish, albeit open minded to RWMO families. End result most of the time is that the kids end up falling somewhere on the yeshivish spectrum as adults. I don’t think most of these young families will end up staying in Queens long term. I think the school issue is the similar in the 5T as well. I think that the parent body at Shulamith leans more “modern yeshivish” as described here than RWMO and there is no boys school with the same hashkafa. Many people who have daughters in Shulamith send their sons to South Shore, but the hashkafos aren’t truly the same.
And while YBH is moving to the right, the younger parent body in RYNJ is to the left of the older parents. It’s so complicated. Hatzlacha, OP!

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:02 am

Your explanation earlier of RWMO was right. It was about the hashkafa of Torah umada being at the root of their actions.
Modern yeshivish is the same, but the root of their actions are yeshivish hashkafas. The hashkafa of Torah learning being most important and respected and holding up the world, at the root of it.
Otherwise, the actions and hashkafas of rwmo and modern yeshivish are basically the same. I say this as a more modern yeshivish (jpf?) woman with a LOT of RWMO relatives.
Our actions are the same basically, the root of what we find most important is a drop different
That’s it
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics