Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is there a cheap way for a family of 7 to visit Israel?
Previous  1  2  3

Busybee5

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:01 am
Elfrida wrote:
I'd want to take the kids to the kosel, kever rochel, show them our seminary and yeshiva neighborhoods, meet a gadol, maybe go to rebbetzin kolodetzky... Don't need to go too tzfat, meron, teveria, ashdod, etc.
Yerushalayim will be fun enough

Reading your OP again,I'm really wondering if traipsing around Yerushalayim for a couple of weeks really will be enough to entertain your children.

The Kotel - an hour. Add in the Old City and you could spend a day there.
Kever Rachel - a morning
Seminary/Yeshiva neighborhoods - maybe another morning
Meet a Gadol - an hour or so

What are you going to do the rest of the time? Yerushalayim has history and museums and parks, and you know what ages your children are and what will entertain them, but you need to plan a bit more. Older children will probably want to get out and explore a bit more. The chances are they will want to visit Sfat and the Kinneret and other tourist sites.

A recreation of your seminary experience is not going to do it.

Not to mention in the boiling heat. Sounds tempting, but personally it's not for me unless I'm by a pool, and in air con in between short bursts of outings.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:11 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
My friend came for the summer with 5 kids. They bought tickets months earlier that were cheap. They ended up doing some kind of apt. or car swap for a tiny not-renovated two bedroom that they stuffed themselves into.
She did something smart and signed up her younger kids for local day camps. This worked because she stayed in an American area where there were English speaking camps. Day camp in Israel is much cheaper than in America and then she was able to take her two teenagers on more mature trips, or even just shopping in Geulah and things the little kids would not enjoy.
They did not rent a car and took busses everywhere. They did a few longer trips with the whole family but only free trips - the separate beach, big parks in Ashdod and Modiin etc.

Fantastic idea regarding English speaking camps! Smart woman!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:44 am
Side point-
If you do try for a swap please make sure that you specify that you a ok with an apartment in exchange for your home.
A friend of mine wanted to swap her home in US for a place to stay in Israel and she couldn't figure out why she wasn't getting any calls until she explicitly posted that she is looking for an apartment in exchange for her house.

amother
Waterlily  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:41 pm
Would people swap an apartment for a van in the states or swaps are just car for car and home for home? Thanks!

amother
  Magenta  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:12 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Would people swap an apartment for a van in the states or swaps are just car for car and home for home? Thanks!

Very possible that people would swap a home for a van - but chances are that people who want a van and have a place to stay in the states, also need the cash they can get for there place more then the van.

But doesnt hurt to try...

I have heard more of younger couples (who's parents are paying for the flights) swapping an apartment for a car

amother
  Waterlily  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:24 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Very possible that people would swap a home for a van - but chances are that people who want a van and have a place to stay in the states, also need the cash they can get for there place more then the van.

But doesnt hurt to try...

I have heard more of younger couples (who's parents are paying for the flights) swapping an apartment for a car

Thanks. Where does one advertise for such a thing? Ty

amother
  Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:36 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Thanks. Where does one advertise for such a thing? Ty

The anglo emails and whatsapp chats in various neighborhoods

amother
  Waterlily  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:37 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
The anglo emails and whatsapp chats in various neighborhoods

Ty

Batyah85

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 11:11 pm
I don't have time to read through and post a whole reply here atm- but we managed to travel to Israel (4 kids, 2 adults) for 3 weeks this past summer for less than 7k dollars. Feel free to reach out if you want some ideas. points help towards flight tickets and there are cheaper air bnbs to stay in.

amother
  Waterlily

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 11:52 pm
Batyah85 wrote:
I don't have time to read through and post a whole reply here atm- but we managed to travel to Israel (4 kids, 2 adults) for 3 weeks this past summer for less than 7k dollars. Feel free to reach out if you want some ideas. points help towards flight tickets and there are cheaper air bnbs to stay in.

Can you share where to find cheaper airbnbs? Ty

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:32 pm
If you go pesach or summer many young fmailies are looking to rent out their apartments, and just make back some of the money.

you can get a 3 BR apartment for $1800-2000 for all three weeks of bein hazmanim pretty easily. and many would be willing to do a swap. most people to israel apt for car plus $800 type of thing, or israel apt for your home plus car.

this year tickets are the highest pricing I've seen in a while, you said its not applicable for this year anyway.

We've gotten not terrible, 1 stop for 5 hour type, tickets for $750-800

Food - ask a local

Trips - there are so many free places all around, I don't think your kids will be bored.
Transport - works pretty well here, most of the time you really don't need a car.

I've planned budget vacation for a few people here. Is it cheap, no. but for the price of camp for 3 kids, I would think its doable
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics