Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What was in style a few years ago that looks outdated today?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:26 pm
Its super sad.

galpal  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:49 pm
Cap sleeves are out

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:54 pm
The only thing everyone agree on was that wearing a shell is outdated.
So what happened to shell station?! Who is buying their rows and rows of colorful shells

amother
  DarkMagenta  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:56 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
So what happened to shell station?! Who is buying their rows and rows of colorful shells

Shells can be worn under some sleeveless dressess/shell dresses/jumpers. Can also be worn on their own as tops. And I know many yeshivish people that wear shells under almost everything to ensure a tznius neckline. The store always seems crowded when I’m there!

amother
White  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:57 pm
I’m enjoying this thread. Thanks op!
Can I still wear a dress or skirt that’s below the knee in one place and long, almost to the ankle on the other side? Those uneven hemlines were in a few summers ago but I don’t know if I can still wear them without looking weird. Can I still wear pleated skirts? I have a pleated skirt that’s below the knee and one that’s longer than mid calf. Is it still okay to wear those?

galpal

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Ginger wrote:

I’m definitely buying less shells then a few years ago.

amother
Salmon  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:02 pm
Why is it considered normal and OK for teens to critique their mothers clothes?
I got married young and had my daughter at 19. I was conscious that I'm a young mother and I didn't want to raise her with the best friends vibe that breeds disrespect. I handled myself with dignity as the adult in the room. I never asked her opinion about my clothes, she never expressed any except the occasional compliment, and if she was ever embarrassed of me, well I never knew of it because she kept her opinion to herself.

Now she's a young married and we have a great relationship. She asks me to go shopping with her because she values my opinion. I may show her something I bought myself but I don't ask her opinion.

It can totally be done. I'm not some parenting genius and never learnt this in any course. Mothers please, your kid doesn't want to be your best friend, don't cultivate a relationship that breeds disrespect. If you want a fashion opinion ask your sister or friend or mother. Not your child. This is a line that shouldn't be crossed, it never ends.

And women of 35+ dressed trendy just look silly, imo.

mizle10

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:09 pm
Teens are impossible!

I got married at 18, had my first girl 9 months later and my next 14 months after my first. I cannot imagine there is a younger mother of teens out there!! I'm still so young, I'm skinny and I dress trendy. But whatever I wear is super embarrassing apparently Banging head

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:37 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
I got married young and had my daughter at 19. I was conscious that I'm a young mother and I didn't want to raise her with the best friends vibe that breeds disrespect. I handled myself with dignity as the adult in the room. I never asked her opinion about my clothes, she never expressed any except the occasional compliment, and if she was ever embarrassed of me, well I never knew of it because she kept her opinion to herself.

Now she's a young married and we have a great relationship. She asks me to go shopping with her because she values my opinion. I may show her something I bought myself but I don't ask her opinion.

It can totally be done. I'm not some parenting genius and never learnt this in any course. Mothers please, your kid doesn't want to be your best friend, don't cultivate a relationship that breeds disrespect. If you want a fashion opinion ask your sister or friend or mother. Not your child. This is a line that shouldn't be crossed, it never ends.

Thanks for letting me know I look silly. I'm 10 years older than that, lately lost a lot of weight and love getting dressed trendy! silly? no! not at all! I'm just looking GOOD!

amother
Mustard  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
My daughter was packing for her school shabbos last night. I asked her if she wanted to take her Monte Carlo for the bus ride home. She said Monte Carlo is out of style. She’ll take her black paneled skirt instead.
Who knew? How do people know this??

Can someone link black paneled?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:00 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
You want to be trendy or just not sorely out of style? Floral are going out, solids are in. A lot of light blues, tans, pink/hot pink, neon accents.
Longer maxi skirts and dresses, with cropped tops can still work.

I still see plenty of florals in all the stores and on many stylish people who bought this season, I don't agree with this at all.

amother
  Salmon  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:03 pm
I didn't really mean to say that my opinion is that wearing a single trendy item looks silly when above a certain age. I definitely dress fashionable so sometimes that may cross over to trendy style. What I meant is that when you're total look from wig down to shoes is the latest trends, and you're old enough to be the mother of teens, imo that look is silly. If you balance trendier clothes with more classic and quality pieces, and add in your unique touch, and most importantly avoid styles and colors that don't flatter you, you can look great and with-it. Just my humble fashion opinion.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:09 pm
amother Salmon wrote:

I do not ask my daughters for their opinion. I don’t need their approval. I just don’t want them to be ashamed. I was not brought up with any sense of style. My mother was just practical and poor, so she was just happy that we had some clothing to wear no matter what it was. Usually hand me downs or cheap things she found when she shopped once in a while out of desperation. Her goal was to find something cheap, not something nice. I’ve come a long way since childhood but dressing nicely doesn’t come natural to me. Yet, I don’t ask my daughters because I am their mother and I have my dignity. And I don’t want to dress like they do anyway. They are teenagers. I’m 50!
I’ll hear them make comments sometimes. Maybe I’m not supposed to hear. Something like - my Chumash teacher has the same top as mommy.., (Chumash teacher is probably almost 70!!!) or so and so’s mother is SO in style- I WISH mommy would dress like that…
The other day I asked my daughter who knows how to sew to fix a top for me with her machine. My younger daughter walked in the room and asked- whose shirt is that? Sewing daughter answered- it’s mommy’s. Younger daughter smiled and said- oh.. nice top mommy. I knew when she said that, the way she said it, she didn’t really think it’s so nice. And she was right! It’s not a nice top at all! But it fits me well and lately my body is so out of shape that nothing fits well and looks good.
So.. no, I’m not asking their opinion but somehow I’m picking up on the vibes anyway.
I’m far from trendy. I just want to look respectable.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:14 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
Can someone link black paneled?

https://www.soxworld-plus.com/......html

I can’t wear this but it’s a very popular style for young people.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:17 pm
Shells are out of style.

What I have in my closet:- a black maxi skirt, denim black maxi skirt, white maxi skirt and a light blue denim maxi skirt and I own a bunch of diff colored t shirts and every day pick a skirt and a t shirt and throw on my sneakers (I have black ones or white ones) and done!

Love, your fellow Lakewood mother Smile

FYI I bought the skirts in fame and the gallery and the t shirts udel/gallery

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:20 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Shells are out of style.

What I have in my closet:- a black maxi skirt, denim black maxi skirt, white maxi skirt and a light blue denim maxi skirt and I own a bunch of diff colored t shirts and every day pick a skirt and a t shirt and throw on my sneakers (I have black ones or white ones) and done!

Love, your fellow Lakewood mother Smile

FYI I bought the skirts in fame and the gallery and the t shirts udel/gallery

Are you very thin?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:22 pm
Is wearing a shell under a (long sleeve) top for a neckline problem also out of style?

amother
  White  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:24 pm
I think my questions got lost when the thread moved on to parenting teens. I hope no minds if I post them again.
-
Can I still wear a dress or skirt that’s below the knee in one place and long, almost to the ankle on the other side? Uneven hemlines were in a few summers ago but I don’t know if I can still wear them. I can probably have them fixed to a straight hem.
Can I still wear pleated skirts? I have one below the knee and one longer than mid calf. The talk about the paneled skirts is making me think I need to stop wearing my pleated ones.

lamplighter

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:28 pm
What I do to be reasonably in fashion is buy a few things a year in the Jewish stores. This keeps me up to date enough to not be embarrassing.
I keep basics for what works for my lifestyle and shape and those are not trendy, they are just classics. I'm not 25, its ok.

amother
Dill  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:37 pm
I wear sleeveless cropped shells under tees because I'm overweight and vnecks look better on me than crewnecks.
I also wear straight skirts because flairy makes me look twice as big.
If I'm embarrassing my teens, at least I'm not embarrassing myself.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics