Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What was in style a few years ago that looks outdated today?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Raspberry  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:45 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Clean girl is actually on its way out. As well as the solid colored yoga clothes type of wear.

Never. I doubt that’s possible! It’s a staple!

amother
  Periwinkle  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:51 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
Never. I doubt that’s possible! It’s a staple!

You’d think so, but it isn’t. Did you see anyone wear yoga wear as clothes in 2005? We get so used to styles that we think they’re forever. Nothing stays the same however.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:14 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
So interesting that everyone is saying that shells are out of style! I see so many vests lately, are those not worn with a shell ?

Shells are definitely back in a big way this season in Lakewood. I think that what people are referring to when they say shells are out is the short sleeve t-shirt with a shell underneath look. But almost everything in the Jewish Lakewood stores this season needs a shell. Cardigans or knit tops with holes down the sleeve, vests.... everything needs a shell just in a different way then they used to.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:38 pm
Black pencil skirts are classic. They never go out of style. It might not be trendy but it’s always an option if it looks good on you.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:42 pm
Can someone post what IS in style instead of what's not so we know what to shop for?

Also are pantihose with shoes on a regular weekday still in style?

Einikel

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:45 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Can someone post what IS in style instead of what's not so we know what to shop for?

What's the other option?

amother
  White  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:46 pm
amother Tan wrote:

If pantihose with shoes are not in style what am
I supposed to wear on my legs and feet? Am I supposed to wear shoes with bare legs? I don’t walk around like that. Feel like I’m missing something maybe you can explain.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:52 pm
Recently I heard that wearing nude color tights with black shoes is considered nerdy. I’m 50. I have young kids (had babies in my 40’s) so I don’t feel old yet. How bad is it to wear nude with black shoes? How about black shoes with white soles?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:07 pm
Is it bad to wear a black knee length A-line skirt with any long sleeve top/tee?

amother
  White

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Recently I heard that wearing nude color tights with black shoes is considered nerdy. I’m 50. I have young kids (had babies in my 40’s) so I don’t feel old yet. How bad is it to wear nude with black shoes? How about black shoes with white soles?

Please explain what the alternative is.
Black shoes worn with what on my legs? Nothing? Black tights only? Colorful socks?
Or -do I stop wearing black shoes?
Are there any shoes I can wear with nude tights? Nude colored shoes with nude tights?
I’ve seen colored print fabric shoes lately. Do I wear floral fabric shoes with nude tights? They look very pretty but I’m not brave enough to wear floral shoes, not to mention they’d get ruined the first time I stepped in a puddle.
I happen to own a few pairs of black shoes. Please let me know what I’m supposed to do with them and if the answer is give them to goodwill please let me know what shoes I’m supposed to wear on my feet.
TYIA

amother
  Dill

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:34 pm
Why would you want to dress like a teenager?

amother
  Taupe  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

That's for the 17 year olds. They want to wear nude and skin color dressy shoes all year on shabbos even in the winter, even in cold weather. And nude with black shoes is a sin for them.
I'm 40, well dressed, and wear nude with my nice black pumps when I'm wearing a black dress in the summer. Dd says for me it's fine. 😆 I wear nude and light shoes with an ivory dress. You're fine OP!
When I asked dd to wear black tights and black shabbos shoes to a winter shabbos event, she did it, as a big huge favor to me.

amother
  Mustard  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:00 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Clean girl is actually on its way out. As well as the solid colored yoga clothes type of wear.

So what’s in?

amother
  Raspberry

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:13 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
Is it bad to wear a black knee length A-line skirt with any long sleeve top/tee?

Is it bad? No. Is it the height of fashion? Probably not. What is your goal? How much time and effort do you want to spend finding clothing? For me the answer is not much so if I look presentable, I’m ok even if I’m not fashionable or trendy.

writinggirl

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:47 pm
Who remembers when pencil skirts with tunics/short dresses were in? Going back around 15 years… Those are definitely out!

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:56 pm
writinggirl wrote:
Who remembers when pencil skirts with tunics/short dresses were in? Going back around 15 years… Those are definitely out!

Lol yes!! I wore that to my lchaim. Along with my side bangs of course

amother
  Orchid

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 10:03 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I like this post. But the thing is it never would have even dawned on me to comment on my mom’s style. I’m in my 40s. Back when I was a teen we were all mortified of our parents, but would never tell them. My friend in Brooklyn told me that she finds Lakewood girls are mortified of their parents and Brooklyn girls aren’t. This was early 2000s. Wonder if it was true. Obviously Lakewood has changed a ton since then.

Agree with you.
Times have changed.
Of course disrespect is not acceptable, but aside from that, kids relate so differently to their parents than we did to our parents.
There are positives to it too, a much closer, more open relationship, where the kids say what they feel and feel more connected to us.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 10:22 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
My personal opinion as someone who cares about looking good - try it on, if it looks good wear it 😁
I don’t go by rules and I’m considered a good dresser.

This. I'm not super trendy but I always look good and get lots of compliments. I would still wear (and do still wear) short puff sleeves that are almost to the elbow with a shell (like a black puff sleeve T-shirt with a black shell and a cute maxi skirt). I'd also wear a long sleeve not deep v neck with a shell. And a couple other things listed here as no-nos.

ETA, now I feel like I'm in a twilight zone. No stockings with black flats?!?!? Yeah, that's not a thing. Everyone wears black loafers, or black ballet flats, or black patent pointed flats...with stockings.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:14 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
This. I'm not super trendy but I always look good and get lots of compliments. I would still wear (and do still wear) short puff sleeves that are almost to the elbow with a shell (like a black puff sleeve T-shirt with a black shell and a cute maxi skirt). I'd also wear a long sleeve not deep v neck with a shell. And a couple other things listed here as no-nos.

ETA, now I feel like I'm in a twilight zone. No stockings with black flats?!?!? Yeah, that's not a thing. Everyone wears black loafers, or black ballet flats, or black patent pointed flats...with stockings.

Really? Not what I see. I understand that poster's question. In the winter everyone wears black shoes, but I see as soon as the weather is warm and ladies start wearing nude stockings, they wear them with light color shoes. I happen to think it looks so pretty and give a nice summery look. I personally wear black shoes because I'm not trendy at all, and I'm not a big shopper and as long as I have wearable shoes I wear them. But I do feel like I'm in the minority when I'm out and about in black shoes and nude stockings.

amother
  Mustard

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:43 pm
writinggirl wrote:

😂 Wow those were the years I was single and teaching…
so much fun to remember 👍
Around then I had wrap shirts that were dressy and for a time we wore jumpers and shells. And brown. Remember brown?
Ballroom skirts to friends’ weddings.
I LOVED SIDE BANGS LOL
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics