Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Drinks
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Tzutzie  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 9:47 pm
Also, a 13 year old should be able to pour without spilling.
Does he have motor control issues?

The only way to teach him to pour without spilling is letting him practice....

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 9:53 pm
We drink ice tea in the house. It is sugar free and caffeine free.
I would prefer if my kids drunk water but since my husband didn't "tolerate" water and I'm not a big fan either, I let them have ice tea as much as they want.
You can only teach children by good example so if you drink snapple on a regular basis you can't expect your kids to drink water.

amother
Jean

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 9:55 pm
Is yr 13 yr old neurotypical?
Mine would laugh in mamma's face if he was told I'd be pouring his juice for dinner!!
Messes are part of life with children. I'm surprised non of your children attended pre school where they poured their own drinks and thought they are pros at 4!
....are you always in the kitchen when your children are thirsty??
Coffee isn't on your off limits drinks. Are you aware that male 13yr Olds spend lots of time in shul with free coffee?

amother
Oatmeal  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:05 pm
I'm actually curious if this is the same op who decided to force her dd to help her friend on accounts that that's what Hashem wants?
I'm getting similar vibes here.

tichellady

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:17 pm
At what age do you expect your kids to have more independence? I think 13 is old enough to drink without spilling or to be responsible to clean after a spill

amother
Daphne

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:22 pm
Diet Snapple is full of garbage, sugar free iced tea is garbage they’re full of sugar substitutes. 0 calorie flavored seltzer is garbage! Check the ingredients. My relatives grew up drinking soda and Snapple and cldnt tolerate water like some of the posters above and they have so many physical health issues. Pour everything out and go cold turkey with just water plain seltzer and fruit infused seltzer for shabbos and thank me later.

pause  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:39 pm
Kids will do you as you do, not do as you say.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:39 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I'm actually curious if this is the same op who decided to force her dd to help her friend on accounts that that's what Hashem wants?
I'm getting similar vibes here.

Nope sorry

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:46 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Also, a 13 year old should be able to pour without spilling.
Does he have motor control issues?

The only way to teach him to pour without spilling is letting him practice....

It's not just about the spilling, it's about half finished cups that get left on table and them the toddler gets her hands on it, or the possibility of stuff getting spilled afterwards.
My life is much less stressful with an only water policy .

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:47 pm
Is this thread for real or am I hallucinating because I just OD'd on two hours of Israeli dati satirical videos on YouTube?

amother
Aconite

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:48 pm
familyfirst wrote:
We used Tim have soda on Shabbos to serve at the meal. As soon as the meal was over I literally poured the soda down the drain. Was never a temptation.

Now we ditched the soda completely. Only serve water. Guests are fine!!

And you're boasting?! Throwing away perfectly good soda instead of letting people enjoy some later on Shabbos is cuckoo.

Reminds me of the mom who put salt into soda so her kids would not develop a taste for it... INSANE.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:48 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
Is this thread for real or am I hallucinating because I just OD'd on two hours of Israeli dati satirical videos on YouTube?

I'm not sure what's so bizarre about this thread.
Am I that crazy?
I understand each household has its own dynamics and some have more rules than others, but sheesh I didn't think I'm that odd.

Elfrida

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's not just about the spilling, it's about half finished cups that get left on table and them the toddler gets her hands on it, or the possibility of stuff getting spilled afterwards.

Disposing of cups is another thing that ye can and should learn. You can explain this to him and make drinking soda conditional upon disposing of his cups.

pause

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:50 pm
amother OP wrote:

But you literally don't have an only water policy. You drink Snapple. You have juice which you'll give them if they ask. You are making it into a "thing." In a water only home, what you drink is not a "thing" because there is literally nothing else.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:52 pm
pause wrote:
But you literally don't have an only water policy. You drink Snapple. You have juice which you'll give them if they ask. You are making it into a "thing." In a water only home, what you drink is not a "thing" because there is literally nothing else.

I hear that

amother
  Apricot  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:54 pm
amother OP wrote:

But you don't have an only water policy if you regularly have other drinks in the house & you yourself don't drink water.
You can't be controlling with your kids, because you want your life to be less stressful.
A teenager shouldn't have to ask for a drink & not be able to pour his own drink. That's very controlling & just so bizarre.

Comptroller  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 13 year old son insists that "everyone " let's their kids take whatever drinks they want whenever they want.
I disagreed and told him I will ask around. We have a water cooler amd I don't let my kids kist take juice or soda from the fridge. I do let them have soda by the shabbos meal by thr main course.

Am I abnormal? It's not just for health reasons (although that's primary), I also can't deal with stickiness and spillage.

Sounds rather strict.

I grew up drinking water/sparkling water, and that's what I pass on, but neither me nor my parents would ever have had the idea of restricting drinks that were in the house. If there was apple juice, whoever wanted could drink apple juice, and when it was gone, it was gone. Same for coke.

I don't think it's "normal" to have things in your fridge and to forbid children access to it.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:55 pm
The main goal of parenting is to raise kids into self sufficient adults.

Kids should be pouring their own drinks by about preschool. And they should learn to wipe up their own spills. (even if they don't do it perfect yet)

Ma3

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Am I that crazy?
I understand each household has its own dynamics and some have more rules than others, but sheesh I didn't think I'm that odd.

Kids should be able to take drinks without asking from a much younger age already. If you don't want them to drink sweet drinks during the week, don't buy it.

amother
  Apricot  

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Am I that crazy?

A controlling dynamic is not okay.
A dynamic where mom drinks something in front of the kids & forbids the kids from having that drink, is not okay.
A dynamic where a teenager has to ask & be poured their drink, is not okay.
You can & should have house rules, but they need to be appropriate & make sense.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics