Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School shootings are a direct result of social workers physi
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ora_43

Post Yesterday at 10:46 am
amother OP wrote:
So here's the thing. There has been a huge increase in school shootings. Specifically in America where all schools have a school social worker.
Not murders or shootings elsewhere. Most of these shootings happened in the school the shooter went to.
Im not saying I agree with this statement or not. It was said by someone who was interviewed after a shooting a few years ago. Don't remember where but this sentence stuck in my head as someone who suffered at the hands of her school.

There are many things that are different about America compared to (most) other (western) countries.

Gun laws are one
Culture is another (individualist vs collectivist; cultural attitudes towards violence)
Family structure (IIRC the percent of mass shooters whose fathers aren't in their lives is quite high)
Prevalence of drug abuse
Media culture/ media coverage of mass shootings
etc

Unless there's some mechanism by which the presence of a social worker would lead to a shooting (and I'm struggling to see a connection there) it seems more likely to be a combination of the above.

amother
Honey

Post Yesterday at 11:10 am
I mean, I guess it's true if you mean social workers etc sometimes fail to prevent it by ignoring glaring red flags. But I have a hunch that's not when you mean when you say "cause".

amother
  Freesia

Post Yesterday at 11:15 am
amother OP wrote:
So here's the thing. There has been a huge increase in school shootings. Specifically in America where all schools have a school social worker.
Not murders or shootings elsewhere. Most of these shootings happened in the school the shooter went to.
Im not saying I agree with this statement or not. It was said by someone who was interviewed after a shooting a few years ago. Don't remember where but this sentence stuck in my head as someone who suffered at the hands of her school.

Or perhaps a result of free school lunches or basketball courts? Or maybe the huge parking lots to accommodate everyone's car.

amother
Clematis

Post Yesterday at 11:18 am
Too easy access to guns is the real problem. The rest is commentary.

nylon

Post Yesterday at 11:37 am
No. If this were true, we'd be seeing school shootings all over the place, not just America.

And look at someone like Adam Lanza, whose mother refused to get him help.

amother
Periwinkle  

Post Yesterday at 11:37 am
school shootings mainly happen because secular culture has tried to take G-d Out of the equation
and broke traditional norms of family and religion and boundaries and community R"L
crime is up due to government policies
violence is more condoned and less punished see the broken window theory of crime prevention
drug use has been legalized
gateway drugs can have a terrible effect on the mind as well
isolation has increased
social media and tiktok has negatives as well
what passes for average television programming today
cultural influences and pressures
glorification of drug and criminal culture
all serve to confuse and undermine well being

amother
Red  

Post Yesterday at 11:40 am
amother OP wrote:
School shootings are a direct result of social workers and psychiatrists.
Do you agree with that statement or not?

Are they the ones holding the guns?

amother
  Red

Post Yesterday at 11:43 am
amother Freesia wrote:
Or perhaps a result of free school lunches or basketball courts? Or maybe the huge parking lots to accommodate everyone's car.

Maybe the expansion of Pre-K? Most schools have that now too.

Oooh and more varsity sports for the girls.

Bethany85  

Post Yesterday at 11:50 am
Pick your boogeyman and you can reverse engineer it as the cause for any issue in the world. Guns, secularism, social workers, weak doors… Our opinions form our facts.

amother
  Yarrow

Post Yesterday at 11:52 am
School shootings are a direct result of...schools. I mean, if we didn't have schools no-one could shoot in them.

Reality  

Post Yesterday at 11:59 am
The same gun culture in the US has been around for hundreds of years yet school shootings is a much more recent issue. Everyone loves to blame the guns because it sounds good but that's not the real root of the problem.

What has actually changed? The type of media people consume. When did mass shootings start happening? When people started watching extremely violent movies. When people started playing and becoming addicted to realistic video games where they are the killers.

Sure, a healthy person can differentiate between a movie/game and real life. But someone with mental health challenges often times can't.

Everyone loves to follow the money except when it comes to mass shootings. Who makes the big bucks glorifying guns and violence? It's not the NRA. It's Hollywood, the music industry and the video game parent companies.

The very same overly-powerful people and organizations that have our politicians in their back pocket. And it's the regular, every day people who suffer, as usual.

Bethany85

Post Yesterday at 12:05 pm
Video games exist in other countries as well. School shootings are a uniquely American problem.

amother
Maple  

Post Yesterday at 12:07 pm
Bethany85 wrote:
Video games exist in other countries as well. School shootings are a uniquely American problem.

Most other place don't have the guns though. It's a combination of the two. You put ideas in people's heads, and then you put the tools in their hands.

amother
Dandelion

Post Yesterday at 12:17 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
They are a result of mental illness, bullying that isn't addressed, revenge, and violent exposure.

I think this is one thing no one talks about. I was on a plane and a mom right near me gave her 2 YEAR OLD CHILD the most horrific barbaric thing to watch on an ipad. I couldnt watch it. something was obviously wrong with this mother, although she looked normal. for days I was traumatized with the few seconds I saw myself and with the whole scenario.

social media, internet, watching horror and violence definitely wakes something up in a person, especially a disturbed person.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 12:38 pm
Reality wrote:
The same gun culture in the US has been around for hundreds of years yet school shootings is a much more recent issue. Everyone loves to blame the guns because it sounds good but that's not the real root of the problem.

What has actually changed? The type of media people consume. When did mass shootings start happening? When people started watching extremely violent movies. When people started playing and becoming addicted to realistic video games where they are the killers.

Sure, a healthy person can differentiate between a movie/game and real life. But someone with mental health challenges often times can't.

Everyone loves to follow the money except when it comes to mass shootings. Who makes the big bucks glorifying guns and violence? It's not the NRA. It's Hollywood, the music industry and the video game parent companies.

The very same overly-powerful people and organizations that have our politicians in their back pocket. And it's the regular, every day people who suffer, as usual.

Not really because if your growing up watching violence on tv you grow up thinking that's normal. That's the way our brain works. Same way children of abusive parents don't know that their parent is abusive they think it normal to get hit if you upset them.

amother
Linen

Post Yesterday at 12:47 pm
Agreed. I think apples turning brown are caused by duplo Lego falling off the counter.
Or maybe kids falling is caused by the other man jumping

/sarcasm

amother
Blonde

Post Yesterday at 2:39 pm
School shootings are a direct result of school bathrooms….

#BestBubby

Post Yesterday at 2:50 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
Too easy access to guns is the real problem. The rest is commentary.

then why didn't America have school shootings in previous generations?

Teen boys used to come to school with hunting rifles and there were no school shootings.

When God was expelled from school, school shootings soon followed.

amother
Kiwi

Post Yesterday at 2:53 pm
I'm a school psychologist and I encourage every student I meet to commit a school shooting asap. lol.

WHAT are you talking about?!?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Yesterday at 2:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

Correlation vs causation.
Read up on spurious correlation.
Maybe there were bullying issues so they hired a school social worker.
Not all schools actually have school social workers. Even if they did- what happened first? What caused what or maybe neither were a cause of the other! Maybe the government just gave funds so everyone got them.
If they were the cause, I would assume there would be shootings in most schools!

Yeah school shootings happen in schools the perp went to. Because he had an issue with that school. But shootings also happen elsewhere are are unrelated to school. Unless you want to blame schools for any shooting ever?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics